Dec 29, 2017, 08:37 PM
Thread OP
Help!

I need a cheap drone that will do about 1 mile and +/-15 mins

Hi all
Newbie here. I am looking for a cheap drone that will do a mile or close to it flying distance and endurance of around 15-20 minutes. I am not interested in what tricks it (flips and what not) can do but return to home is vital as I don't want the thing disappearing into the sunset never to be seen again. It doesn't have to have a great camera but ideally should have a camera or one I can add on cheaply. Also GPS is a must

PS I have never operated a drone so it must be simple to fly. I just need it to patrol a farm in Africa from the air. Poachers are killing us and recommendations I have had so far are outside my budget at the moment. I am hoping I can get something for around 100 roughly us$140. I am willing to buy second hand provided it mets or exceeds those parameters and is in good condition

The hubsan 501 seems good but they are like 150 in the UK and was hoping of similar spec but little cheaper. Or if anyone knows a cheap that can be easily modified battery wise and to give good range

Thanks in advance
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2017, 11:31 PM
Nothing that cheap flies that far or that long. You'd be better served getting a 3dr solo or phantom used.
Dec 30, 2017, 03:51 AM
A bebop 2, but more expensive, even if used.
Dec 30, 2017, 10:12 AM
have a look at the MJX bugs b2c . it can usually be found on special at your price .
there is a thread in mini multirotors -
mine does nearly 20 min on the standard battery .
Dec 30, 2017, 12:04 PM
Thread OP
Hi
How about something that can give me 500m to 1000m please?

A parrot bepop 2 and a hubsan h501 which has superior range?
Dec 30, 2017, 12:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by swervo
have a look at the MJX bugs b2c . it can usually be found on special at your price .
there is a thread in mini multirotors -
mine does nearly 20 min on the standard battery .

Wow. Thanks for tour reply. And in terms of distance how far and back can it fly? The law is pretty relaxed around here so now worries about flying it only within distance eye can see. And we are in a remote area anyway on private property
Dec 30, 2017, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Africanlion
Hi all
Newbie here. I am looking for a cheap drone that will do a mile or close to it flying distance and endurance of around 15-20 minutes. I am not interested in what tricks it (flips and what not) can do but return to home is vital as I don't want the thing disappearing into the sunset never to be seen again. It doesn't have to have a great camera but ideally should have a camera or one I can add on cheaply. Also GPS is a must

PS I have never operated a drone so it must be simple to fly. I just need it to patrol a farm in Africa from the air. Poachers are killing us and recommendations I have had so far are outside my budget at the moment. I am hoping I can get something for around 100 roughly us$140. I am willing to buy second hand provided it mets or exceeds those parameters and is in good condition

The hubsan 501 seems good but they are like 150 in the UK and was hoping of similar spec but little cheaper. Or if anyone knows a cheap that can be easily modified battery wise and to give good range

Thanks in advance
Maybe you could start a fundraiser on Facebook explaining your situation and take donations for the purchase of a quality quad or someone may just donate one to you. $140 is just not realistic for your needs.
Dec 30, 2017, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Wow. Thanks for tour reply. And in terms of distance how far and back can it fly? The law is pretty relaxed around here so now worries about flying it only within distance eye can see. And we are in a remote area anyway on private property
The Bugs 2 easily can do 1km. It is probably the best range long range 'toy' quad on the market. The telemetry numbers on the lcd display on the transmitter only go up to 999m, so after that it's total guess work. If it loses signal it will automatically come back to the take off point. Some guys on youtube are claiming past 1km and 2.6 km

MJX Bugs 2 Range Test - Let's Fly Beyond 1km (8 min 20 sec)

MJX bugs 2 2,653 meters long range flight test !!!! (10 min 7 sec)

Do you need live video ? There is a cheaper version without the WIFI video called the Bugs 2 B2C.

Because the down side of the Bug 2 B2W is the WIFI camera can only do 500m max distance max before freezing up. And you need a 5ghz capable WIFI smartphone to be able to use wifi video link. Normal 2.4ghz WIFI phones won't work at all. The Bugs 2 can still record the flight video to an SD card.
Last edited by Airvortex; Dec 30, 2017 at 04:07 PM.
Dec 30, 2017, 03:34 PM
BP2 has already been 5 km complete flight plans, update your knowledge base, please

But is not cheap.
Dec 30, 2017, 05:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLFLY
The Bugs 2 easily can do 1km. It is probably the best range long range 'toy' quad on the market. The telemetry numbers on the lcd display on the transmitter only go up to 999m, so after that it's total guess work. If it loses signal it will automatically come back to the take off point. Some guys on youtube are claiming past 1km and 2.6 km

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA6OxHeyfS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzrYcuVpmI4

Do you need live video ? There is a cheaper version without the WIFI video called the Bugs 2 B2C.

Because the down side of the Bug 2 B2W is the WIFI camera can only do 500m max distance max before freezing up. And you need a 5ghz capable WIFI smartphone to be able to use wifi video link. Normal 2.4ghz WIFI phones won't work at all. The Bugs 2 can still record the flight video to an SD card.

Thanks for your response and please explain a little. I'm a complete novice to drones so my knowledge is poor. When you say do I need live feed video what do you mean sir/madam? To explain a little we have a farm that's 800 hactares and people come and hunt and kill wildlife with dogs and more worryingly cattle rustlers. Last months we had pivot pipes stolen. The problem is when we patrol by car or motorbikes they hear us from a distance and simply hide in the bushes and I figure a drone would allow me to do random patrols from the air and see what's happening. Its a desperate situation for us

So I'm just looking for a setup that allows me to control where the drone is and maybe see in real time what its seeing. I don't know if that's what you mean by live feed video
Last edited by Africanlion; Dec 30, 2017 at 06:13 PM.
Dec 30, 2017, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Thanks for your response and please explain a little. I'm a complete novice to drones SL my knowledge is poor. When you say do I need live feed video what do you mean? To explain a little we have a farm that's 800 hactares and people come and hunt and and wildlife with dogs and more worryingly cattle rustlers. Last months we had pivot pipes stolen. The problem is when we patrol by car or motorbikes they hear us from a distance and simply hide in the bushes and I figure a drone would allow me to do random patrols from the air and see what's happening. Its a desperate situation for us

So I'm just looking for a setup that allows me to control where the drone is and maybe see in real time what its seeing. I don't know if that's what you mean by live feed video
Live feed means you will be able to see in real time what the drone is seeing.
Dec 30, 2017, 06:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch
Live feed means you will be able to see in real time what the drone is seeing.
Thanks for the clarification. So if a drone doesn't have live feed video how would the person flying it control it and stuff if he can't see anything from a distance
Dec 30, 2017, 08:08 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
You're not going to be able to do what you need to do for the budget you've got. The range requirement is the problem. You need live video feed which requires dedicated video transmission and receiving HW, you can't get the necessary range with a WiFi transmitter and a cell phone receiver. And since you can't use your cell phone as a display, you also need something to display the video on (goggles are easier to fly with, but a monitor is cheaper. If you can afford both, the pilot can use the goggles and a copilot can look at the monitor). You also definitely need GPS. With GPS you get return-to-home functionality. Most radio control transmitters ought to be good for a mile or more over open-flat country, but with GPS RTH the copter will return if it flies out of range, which is critical for long-distance flying. You never know when local conditions which change your limits. Just because you got there yesterday doesn't guarantee you can get there again today. And you need an On Screen Display. The OSD provides information about the copter in flight. Most importantly, it will display distance and direction to/from the launch point. If you go out on patrol and you don't know where you are it doesn't matter if you see something you care about, and determining your position precisely from the air when flying FPV is (at least in my experience) challenging. An OSD will let you know which direction to go and how far away your "target" is, as well as display GPS coordinates, speed, altitude, battery voltage (so you know how much remaining flight time you've got) and other useful stuff depending on the specific OSD.

But these things combined put you well outside your budget.

You could get something relatively inexpensive that uses WiFi and just run it vertically. Take off, go up 1000 feet, look around, come back down. At 1000 feet, the horizon is something like 39 miles away. At 300 feet the horizon is still 21 miles. So you don't really need to go that high to see pretty far and WiFi will work over this range. And you would get the additional benefit of hi-def. Most WiFi copters transmit HD. If you go with dedicated video transmit/receive HW, HD becomes *very* expensive. 99.9% of pilots are flying with Standard Def video downlinks. These are OK for just flying around and/or drone racing but are of limited value for observation from the air.
Dec 30, 2017, 10:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
You're not going to be able to do what you need to do for the budget you've got. The range requirement is the problem. You need live video feed which requires dedicated video transmission and receiving HW, you can't get the necessary range with a WiFi transmitter and a cell phone receiver. And since you can't use your cell phone as a display, you also need something to display the video on (goggles are easier to fly with, but a monitor is cheaper. If you can afford both, the pilot can use the goggles and a copilot can look at the monitor). You also definitely need GPS. With GPS you get return-to-home functionality. Most radio control transmitters ought to be good for a mile or more over open-flat country, but with GPS RTH the copter will return if it flies out of range, which is critical for long-distance flying. You never know when local conditions which change your limits. Just because you got there yesterday doesn't guarantee you can get there again today. And you need an On Screen Display. The OSD provides information about the copter in flight. Most importantly, it will display distance and direction to/from the launch point. If you go out on patrol and you don't know where you are it doesn't matter if you see something you care about, and determining your position precisely from the air when flying FPV is (at least in my experience) challenging. An OSD will let you know which direction to go and how far away your "target" is, as well as display GPS coordinates, speed, altitude, battery voltage (so you know how much remaining flight time you've got) and other useful stuff depending on the specific OSD.

But these things combined put you well outside your budget.

You could get something relatively inexpensive that uses WiFi and just run it vertically. Take off, go up 1000 feet, look around, come back down. At 1000 feet, the horizon is something like 39 miles away. At 300 feet the horizon is still 21 miles. So you don't really need to go that high to see pretty far and WiFi will work over this range. And you would get the additional benefit of hi-def. Most WiFi copters transmit HD. If you go with dedicated video transmit/receive HW, HD becomes *very* expensive. 99.9% of pilots are flying with Standard Def video downlinks. These are OK for just flying around and/or drone racing but are of limited value for observation from the air.
Thanks a lot. I think your post starts to open things up nicely. I might not need to fly out that far and maybe the drone can see and cover the rest of the distance using the camera. . Using Google earth I have mapped out from the farm house which is pretty centre in the farm to any corners of the farm the distance is at most about 1.2 to 1.5 km in either direction. So maybe if I fly reasonable high enough I can just use the camera to pick up suspicious activity. Now I don't know how far the cameras on a cheap drone can focus on far away objects. But as I said I am not not looking for studio quality images/videos but something reasonable enough for me to pick out human beings, dogs and so on.

That is for your input. Cheers We have tried walking on foot to use stealth and the element of surprise but the fence boundary is 30km long to to around it and can't finish it in one day and is a waste of time otherwise would be used working
Dec 31, 2017, 02:44 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Someplace I have a video of my just climbing to a few 100 feet and panning in a circle. If I can find it, I'll post the link so you can get some idea of what you can see from a few 100 feet. Of course, my terrain is hilly and covered with trees, which I suspect your's isn't.

The best video you can get will be from something that transmits HD video. As I said, most WiFi based copters do this by default and display on your cell phone or tablet. 720p or if you're lucky a full 1080. Their only downside is lower range. But this is the best you'll be able to do on a budget.

Quick Reply