Dec 30, 2017, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif
Those people usually put themselves in that position - ie, going to a ballgame, paying for a ticket with legal disclaimers.

Someone strolling thru the park should not expect to put them-self in the position to loose an eyeball due to someone playing with a "toy".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ball-half.html

Just a kid and he didn't even have a chance. Now he's got the rest of his life to live with one eye.
I see the OP concerned about cases like this, and the other half of the posters just mocking the possibility that our hobby can and will have negative consequences - that can be avoided.
OUCH!! Poor little guy! Looking at that makes my eyes hurt!

When you called it a "toy", I expected the drone to be an Estes Proto X, not a 250 race quad. Anyone remember the proto x? Little teeny quad? That's a "toy". A 250 race quad is not a toy, just like a large scale gasser is not a toy. They take skill and experience to fly.

Yes, accidents can happen, and the incident here sounds like an accident. But accidents can be prevented through common sense.

The same article also talks about a different guy who decided to fly a Blade 450 class heli inside his house and he lost an eye because of this. He was told not to, but decided to anyways. If he had flown it outside, even in his backyard, at twenty feet away, (still not that smart imo), he might not have lost an eye.

I have to wonder what the man with the race quad was doing, to hit a tree and immediately smash into a child. It sounds like he might have been flying very close to the family, or even over them. If I had been flying for my family, I would have flown it on the other side of the park, away from anyone, and passed some FPV goggles around while doing some simple flips and rolls.

Don't mean to rant or sound like a know-it-all, but many frightful stories can be prevented with some basic common sense, and therefore safety. Government regulations not required.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2017, 09:45 PM
DFS#000178
Note that the entire reason this study needed to be done is because it hasn't actually happened. Nobody's been killed by a stray drone.

Meanwhile, dozens, if not hundreds of people a year are killed on the ground in general aviation accidents and we don't hear squat about it except maybe a blurt on local news..
Dec 31, 2017, 07:47 AM
Wow !
Perhaps check out the stats for how people die !

Alcohol - cigarettes - Bath tubs - skate boards - bicycles - Cars to name a few !

Not making light of the fact that drones / quads / heli's / planes / can have a serious impact on some one and do a lot of damage ...
I dare say this entire thing is a political stunt ! ( Why would I say that ? )
Because just look at how long RC planes have been around ... Anyone get their knickers in a serious knot over RC planes ( besides those complaining about noise ) .
So for over 50 years no scientist gave a plumb nickle over RC planes ...
But suddenly drones require scientific study ?
And is this after the failure to register drones ?
Something Reeks !
Dec 31, 2017, 10:37 AM
The difference is, for all those years it took some skill to fly an RC plane. You had to put the time, crashing, fixing, being mentored, learning etiquette and rules. Now any moron with enough money can fly a drone. He does not have much time/emotion invested in the learning process. He needs no mentor and thinks his raw talent is flying the drone out of the box. A dangerous mix of ignorance and arrogance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570
Wow !

Alcohol - cigarettes - Bath tubs - skate boards - bicycles - Cars to name a few !

Not making light of the fact that drones / quads / heli's / planes / can have a serious impact on some one and do a lot of damage ...
Because just look at how long RC planes have been around ... Anyone get their knickers in a serious knot over RC planes ( besides those complaining about noise ) .
Something Reeks !
Dec 31, 2017, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif
Those people usually put themselves in that position - ie, going to a ballgame, paying for a ticket with legal disclaimers.

Someone strolling thru the park should not expect to put them-self in the position to loose an eyeball due to someone playing with a "toy".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ball-half.html

Just a kid and he didn't even have a chance. Now he's got the rest of his life to live with one eye.
I see the OP concerned about cases like this, and the other half of the posters just mocking the possibility that our hobby can and will have negative consequences - that can be avoided.
Poor kid. That's terrible. Makes me sad to see that. I guess since a family friend hit him there will be no lawsuit? If someone flew a quad into my child's eye (well one day, no kids now haha), he would be living in a tent when I got done with him in a lawsuit. He had no business flying that near people, let alone small children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearman17
The difference is, for all those years it took some skill to fly an RC plane. You had to put the time, crashing, fixing, being mentored, learning etiquette and rules. Now any moron with enough money can fly a drone. He does not have much time/emotion invested in the learning process. He needs no mentor and thinks his raw talent is flying the drone out of the box. A dangerous mix of ignorance and arrogance!
This is very true. I have a neighbor at my parents lake house decide he wanted a rc boat after seeing my Spartan. He called me in a panic a few weeks later saying he and his 3 grandchildren plugged the boat in on the kitchen counter (it was a lipo) and somehow reversed the polarity...story goes his wife heard the shouting, ran in, saw smoke, and next thing they know she is spraying a fire extinguisher in the kitchen on them and the boat. That ended his boat experience.

About a year later, he tells me he wants a drone (the top of the line phantom) to fly over his grandkids while they swim and such. I steered him away from that thankfully.

Moral of this story is the hobby is becoming a "pay to play" experience, and anybody with enough extra cash can shell out big bucks and get a very hi tech, hi powered, drone (or any RC for that matter) and cause some serious accidents. It's scary to me
Dec 31, 2017, 06:56 PM
Poor kid.

But if you outlaw anything that an unskilled operate has used to accidently injure a child say in the last 50 years, there would be literally nothing left in this world.

Even if you limited the outlawed items to things that have caused injuries as severe as losing an eye or worse, there would be a vast number of things that would no longer exist.

How many kids are killed each year through accidental discharge of firearms? How come guns are still easily accessed by children? Where is the government outrage and what steps are they taking to outlaw guns?
Dec 31, 2017, 07:47 PM
Not everyone that flew RC was in a club ..
I never was ! ( Neither were 1000's of Park flyers )
And all those control line flyers that never joined a club .. ( All those cox / testors in the hands of the unskilled ) Flown in school yards / parks and empty lots .

And how about all those unregistered / unlicensed Gun owners ?
Seriously , if your going to register / license Drones ?

I would first license Smokers , then Drinkers , then Gun owners , Bike riders , skateboarders , and the list goes on .....

Start from the top and work your way down till you get to Drones ( RC )
Others wise its just Political BS !
Jan 02, 2018, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570
Wow !

Something Reeks !
Surely they're carrying out this study because there is so much talk about the widespread commercial use of drones for deliveries and suchlike.

What should they do if not study the risks in a scientific manner? Just guess?
Jan 02, 2018, 08:53 AM
Commercial use ( Deliveries ) , why would you test toys if that's the research ?

Commercially viable drones are going to be large / heavy / and potentially seriously dangerous compared to toy quads . And lets not forget the safeguards that would need to be built in ..

A little like testing a wooden billy cart researching F1 .
Jan 02, 2018, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
He had no business flying that near people
This is really the only thing that matters. Just so ignorant, on so many levels, but there is always one way to prevent injuring other people while flying an RC craft, that is usually foolproof, stay away from people. It isn't a game, it's not cool to see how close you can fly your drone to someone without hitting them, etc. If you and a friend decide you want to take that risk and mutually agree on it, go for it. Like you said, these aren't toys. Just because a 250 racing quad can look like a toy, even cheap plastic rotors will spin fast enough to do permanent damage.
Jan 02, 2018, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740
...does substituting a Spork help mitigate the vastly underestimated lethality of the fork thus making it safe for use around small children and kittens?
If anything, that would be more dangerous. The aerodynamic shape of the spork will allow it to travel at higher speeds through the air, causing a higher impact speed.
Jan 02, 2018, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw174620
This is really the only thing that matters. Just so ignorant, on so many levels, but there is always one way to prevent injuring other people while flying an RC craft, that is usually foolproof, stay away from people. It isn't a game, it's not cool to see how close you can fly your drone to someone without hitting them, etc. If you and a friend decide you want to take that risk and mutually agree on it, go for it. Like you said, these aren't toys. Just because a 250 racing quad can look like a toy, even cheap plastic rotors will spin fast enough to do permanent damage.
I agree completely. When I fly my small FPV quads in the house I make sure everyone is aware of what I am doing, and usually try to fly on different floors, or at least make sure everyone is sitting in the room so I know where I am. It would be bad to fly around a corner and hit someone in the face! A little common sense goes a long way with RC.
Jan 03, 2018, 07:36 AM
how many people are killed by smoking MARLBORO'S AND they do care about that out law them and text and driving ect ect just a way to get grant money from government and something to bitch about look what they did to three wheeler's atc its not the drone it's the pilot not the vehicle it's dumb ass that on the stick's and the pic of the baby is bad but how many kid's get hurt by dog's and bb gun's skateboards and i could go on and on so yea so pilots should be more aware of condition's and think about what they do I think that kids should be at least 15 to fly or be with an adult that is responsible for what they do

Quick Reply