600 Drones Crashed in the Name of Safety - RC Groups

600 Drones Crashed in the Name of Safety

Drones are hot and big business these days and as tech and delivery companies look to the future of using drones for more than just aerial selfies, public safety will be a top priority. That's why a drone impact study was done at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU).

Splash

Drone Impact Study

Drones are hot and big business these days and as tech and delivery companies look to the future of using drones for more than just aerial selfies, public safety will be a top priority. That's why a drone impact study was done at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU). This is the first large scale effort to determine the risks involved when a drone malfunction results in an impact with people on the ground.

The team consisted of 10 researchers led by Professor Low Kin Huat from NTU's School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. The tests had drones weighing in from 1kg to 9kg dropping from heights of 3m to 15m and also included powered side impact tests. In all, roughly 600 drones were sacrificed to provide valuable data and discover ways to minimize fatal injuries.

The result? Yes a drone falling, even only a 250g drone can cause a fatal injury under the right circumstances. It's common sense really, but now we have an official scientific study who's results will be presented at an expo in Florida next month. Safety is a huge concern for fully implementing drones in the national airspace and that's why we're seeing drone parachutes and other safety systems designed to make a malfunctioning drone virtually harmless. Source: The Straight Times

Dec 29, 2017, 09:41 AM
Paramotor&racing MR enthusiast
So can a baseball. I demand regulation of baseballs.
Dec 29, 2017, 10:08 AM
RCG Admin
And Forks!
Dec 29, 2017, 10:11 AM
Paramotor&racing MR enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
And Forks!
Don't get me started on forks. In the interest of safety i use only plastic spoons to eat my steaks.
Dec 29, 2017, 10:22 AM
RCG Admin
Lol
Dec 29, 2017, 10:26 AM
Wandering IT geek
...does substituting a Spork help mitigate the vastly underestimated lethality of the fork thus making it safe for use around small children and kittens?
Dec 29, 2017, 12:19 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
What are these 'right circumstances' are they talking about?
Dec 29, 2017, 12:43 PM
RCG Admin
We won't know until the findings are published, but likely with enough force in the just the right place on the head, it could cause a fatal injury. We'll see.
Dec 29, 2017, 02:04 PM
And I bet more people are hit by baseballs (and bats) than by drones.
Dec 29, 2017, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740
...does substituting a Spork help mitigate the vastly underestimated lethality of the fork thus making it safe for use around small children and kittens?
Nope, they still have pointy things on the end. Under the right circumstances they might pierce your jugular 😉
Dec 29, 2017, 02:23 PM
And You're Not
Last edited by Jeffery; Dec 30, 2017 at 08:15 PM.
Dec 29, 2017, 05:21 PM
Drones are dumb
Yes! Destroy more Drones
Dec 30, 2017, 11:27 AM
Mishaps happen all the time. I know because I've worked on military aircraft.
Dec 30, 2017, 12:03 PM
Quote:
that's why we're seeing drone parachutes and other safety systems designed to make a malfunctioning drone virtually harmless
What sort of malfunction will they actually cover though? Not easy to successfully deploy a parachute from a wildly flipping quad that's lost a motor/prop/ESC in flight ...
Dec 30, 2017, 01:23 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
And I bet more people are hit by baseballs (and bats) than by drones.
Those people usually put themselves in that position - ie, going to a ballgame, paying for a ticket with legal disclaimers.

Someone strolling thru the park should not expect to put them-self in the position to loose an eyeball due to someone playing with a "toy".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ball-half.html

Just a kid and he didn't even have a chance. Now he's got the rest of his life to live with one eye.
I see the OP concerned about cases like this, and the other half of the posters just mocking the possibility that our hobby can and will have negative consequences - that can be avoided.

Quick Reply