Jul 16, 2018, 10:00 PM
@Naterater: do you plan to test the new Crosswind from MFD?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2018, 06:10 AM

Titan wing extension make over.

I cut the poly dihedral off the titan wing and I am using skyhunter wings to extend the wing with out any dihedral.
the cord and thickness of the two wings is near the same at the end of the ailerons of the titan wing where I cut it. both are 9.25" on cord here.
the old ailerons of the titan wings have been made into a extension for the flaps. the skyhunter wings have better and more effective ailerons.
I will most likely not use the whole skyhunter wing to extend the titan wing. I think I will cut it right after the tail boom support bump or near the aileron as the trailing edge of the skyhunter wing from where the aileron starts is at the same angle of the tapper of the titans outer aileron and both have a straight leading edge. both are a clark-Y in profile shape making the skyhunter wing a good doner wing to extend from this point.
I ordered a new set of skyhunter wings and rods to do this and wont be using my old skyhunters wings.
the main carbon rod of the skyhunters will be cut in half or a bit shorter and used along with 4 flat bar carbon rods on each wing top and bottom to make it strong. I will also be covering the wing at the junction with kevlar 1.7oz

with the poly dihedral gone it should be able to fly up side down without it trying to put out of it on it's own.

the max possible AUW will go up to over 17+ pounds with these extensions.
good thing because my bird is heavy with it's 30,000mah li-ion pack and three camera down links.
Last edited by Danthemanfpv; Aug 05, 2018 at 06:54 AM.
Aug 15, 2018, 09:35 AM
Any advice on buying a 6s 470-510kv motor? i cant find a single option mentioned in stock :/
Aug 15, 2018, 02:29 PM
It's a bit heavy at 216 grams but maybe the Cobra C3520/18?

It's 550kv so that would be an 8% difference in how deep you go in the throttle compared to 510kv.
Aug 15, 2018, 02:42 PM
Flip on Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Okto
Any advice on buying a 6s 470-510kv motor? i cant find a single option mentioned in stock :/
What about the SunnySky X3520 520kV with these specs?

Good luck.
Aug 20, 2018, 03:22 PM
Aka... Chris Graham
Drop Alex (pompecukor) a pm, I have a set of his new motors he had made for his gear and they are brilliant.
Certainly not the cheapest option but definitely one of the best.

Chris.
Aug 26, 2018, 07:12 PM
@Naterater: Just saw your Believer auto takeoff and landing video, nice. What are your takeoff and landing settings in Mission Planner? Looks like your motors start turning before you throw and it looks like you have no flare when landing. Always makes me nervous to throw a plane without the motor turning and hoping i have it programmed right to climb out!
Last edited by gromitvt10; Aug 27, 2018 at 08:38 AM.
Aug 26, 2018, 08:46 PM
I would be interested in seeing your param file as well, Nate, if you're open to sharing.

Kelly
Aug 29, 2018, 07:19 PM
Does anyone else have a lidar rangefinder installed? Where do yo have it located?
Sep 02, 2018, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterater
I am currently flying the KDE3510XF-475 motors, and they took off just fine with APC12x12 props. I did have a 5m/s headwind though. I haven't noticed a difference from my 510kv skywalkers yet. My endurance mission is in progress - I'm trying to break my 4hrs 42min record. It's warmer, so we'll see how it goes. I'm about 1.8 hours into the flight, and Mission Planner says I've used 30% of my battery (12400mAh).

Updates to come.
What size standoffs did you us with the KDE3510XF-475 motors? Thanks
Oct 01, 2018, 02:38 AM
Thread OP
Sorry for the late response here everyone!

#1 - If you are planning on using the 12x12 prop, DO NOT USE the KDE 3510XF-475 motors. I've had two fail now in the exact same fashion. After speaking with KDE and reviewing the logs, I believe it is due to the high amps on takeoff that exceed their rating. Each failure happened after about 60 takeoffs. I have had two motors short-out and blow the ESC's late in the takeoff when I climb up to 400 ft at 35-degrees of pitch (about 15-20 seconds). I think the T-Motor 4012-480KV will be just perfect even though it's a little heavier.

#2 - Parameters -- if you have a similar power setup to mine, set maximum pitch to 35 degrees up, and takeoff at 30 degrees. Ardupilot will increase pitch beyond 30 as soon as your airspeed increases beyond the cruise airspeed on takeoff.

#3 - Lidar - I mounted mine just in front of the autopilot tray. That ends up just in front of the rear landing pad.

#4 - Standoffs - I use 3D printed mounts. I can share if you message me.

#5 - Crosswind. YES. I plan on testing it soon. I still have the equipment from a few months ago, so hopefully everything will be the same.
Last edited by naterater; Oct 01, 2018 at 02:44 AM.
Oct 01, 2018, 01:52 PM
Quote:

#1 - If you are planning on using the 12x12 prop, DO NOT USE the KDE 3510XF-475 motors. I've had two fail now in the exact same fashion. After speaking with KDE and reviewing the logs, I believe it is due to the high amps on takeoff that exceed their rating. Each failure happened after about 60 takeoffs. I have had two motors short-out and blow the ESC's late in the takeoff when I climb up to 400 ft at 35-degrees of pitch (about 15-20 seconds). I think the T-Motor 4012-480KV will be just perfect even though it's a little heavier.
I just installed the kde3510 with 12x12apc into a crosswind after reading this thread.

Thanks for the warning though, but I'll use em anyway. I'll reduce power earlier than your 15-20 seconds and hope that will be enough. Did you use 100% throttle at launch? I won't be doing more than 20-30 flights a year, so they should still last me long enough...
Oct 01, 2018, 07:09 PM
Quote:

#2 - Parameters -- if you have a similar power setup to mine, set maximum pitch to 35 degrees up, and takeoff at 30 degrees. Ardupilot will increase pitch beyond 30 as soon as your airspeed increases beyond the cruise airspeed on takeoff.

#3 - Lidar - I mounted mine just in front of the autopilot tray. That ends up just in front of the rear landing pad.

#4 - Standoffs - I use 3D printed mounts. I can share if you message me.

#5 - Crosswind. YES. I plan on testing it soon. I still have the equipment from a few months ago, so hopefully everything will be the same.
I've got the 12x12 APCs on the KDE 3510XF-475 and KDE 55 amp ESCs, pulling max 64 amps on takeoff for 10 seconds. Which prop would you recommend to not destroy the motors and still get good power for takeoff and low cruise amps? I certainly do not want to change motors, these were expensive. Thanks
Oct 02, 2018, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitvt10
I've got the 12x12 APCs on the KDE 3510XF-475 and KDE 55 amp ESCs, pulling max 64 amps on takeoff for 10 seconds. Which prop would you recommend to not destroy the motors and still get good power for takeoff and low cruise amps? I certainly do not want to change motors, these were expensive. Thanks
Is that 64 amps for both motors?

They are rated to handle 28 amps at 6s for 180 seconds, so they should be able to take 32 amps for 10 seconds?
Last edited by Roger_Kjellman; Oct 02, 2018 at 10:49 AM.
Oct 02, 2018, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_Kjellman
Is that 64 amps for both motors?

They are rated to handle 28 amps at 6s for 180 seconds, so they should be able to take 32 amps for 10 seconds?
The total amps showing in Misson Planner during takeoff was 64. So I assume it’s 32amps each. But Naterater has the same setup, I assume he is seeing the same amps and had two failures. So maybe they can’t handle 32amps???

Quick Reply