Dec 28, 2017, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

RDBO 2018 - Pacific Ace

Did the preliminary plan print this week, and there is nothing quite like starting off with an 'issue' that has to be dealt with.

I like the design of the Pacific Ace but wanted to build for RC in a larger size. Something in the 36" span range, up from the stock 30". I wanted the structure to be a bit more robust and with a bit more room inside. Seemed reasonable to me.

Explained what I wanted at the print shop, should be no problem. They ran the Outerzone plan from my flash drive and printed off a 53" span version. Nice, but not what I was looking for. Tried again, this time to 41". Third try came out at just over 36". They charged me for what I had asked for, and apologized. So now I have plans for three potential sizes to choose from.

I have available electronics for any of these sizes and plenty of wood. The photo shows the cutoffs, etc., I have available. The unmolested sheet and strip stuff, some still bundled for some long forgotten and never started builds, are on the storage shelf. The only major limitation is a fairly small and restricted flying area which is still large enough for any of these sizes, just not for free-flighting or soaring. I just need to decide just which version to go with and opinions/recommendations are welcome.

The design is https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=863.
Last edited by SuperGlider07; Dec 30, 2017 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Corrected title to Build Log
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2017, 10:47 PM
Where's the lift?
Which size? That’s entirely up to you! I’d spread out all three plans, throw a motor and some servos down on it, and go with whichever of the three seems best. All three will be fun projects!
Dec 29, 2017, 07:31 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Go with the 41" more wing area than the 36" and will fit in the car with the wing on.
Dec 29, 2017, 08:06 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Any size would be nice but 41" seems like a nice compromise.
Dec 30, 2017, 02:29 PM
B for Bruce
Link to this added to Builder List on the sticky thread.
Dec 30, 2017, 08:56 PM
Would you sell me the 53" plans?
Dec 31, 2017, 12:25 PM
Thread OP

53" wingspan plan for the Pacific Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmler
Would you sell me the 53" plans?
Would be happy to send you the plan.

1. The plan at 53" does not include the print wood. I wouldn't have built from those anyway so didn't have them printed. If this is not a problem, great.

2. If its OK to fold the plan I can get those in the mail right away in a mailing envelope. If you need it rolled, then I would have to buy a mailing tube. No charge if an envelope but would have to ask reimbursement if in a tube.

3. Might it not be easier for you to download the plan from Outerzone and have it printed locally? Print shops can and do enlarge and shrink stuff all the time and this one would be easy at 177%. It also fits onto 36" paper. I used Office Max printing this time, Alphagrapics in the past.

Let me know your address on a Personal Message (PM) and what you'd like.

Bill
Dec 31, 2017, 05:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGlider07

Would be happy to send you the plan.
Doug, the plan is in the mail. Don't know how long it will take with the holiday and all but it is at the post office.

As for my build, starting tomorrow will begin on the 41" wingspan version.

Bill
Jan 04, 2018, 02:02 PM
Flyin' Ryan
RCM had plans for a large Pacific Ace in the late 80's (possible very early 90's). I seem to recall it was enlarged to 72-78" and powered with a 4 stroke 40(ish). I have the article somewhere, but I'm pretty sure I saw it on line somewhere recently.
Looked really good in transparent blue and white.

Link from a somewhat recent thread.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...NISHED-finally
Jan 06, 2018, 09:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycomm
RCM had plans for a large Pacific Ace in the late 80's (possible very early 90's). I seem to recall it was enlarged to 72-78" and powered with a 4 stroke 40(ish). I have the article somewhere, but I'm pretty sure I saw it on line somewhere recently.
Looked really good in transparent blue and white.

Thanks, rycomm.

I'm familiar with that thread and build, and he has a lot of good info there. Most likely I will incorporate a few of his ideas into my version.

Bill
Jan 06, 2018, 10:34 AM
I like thermals
I am also building a Pacific Ace for this event. Haven't started yet but hopefully later today or tomorrow. Really like the lines of this classic cabin design. Will look forward to following your build of a larger RC version.
Jan 06, 2018, 04:40 PM
Thread OP
Will be following your build log also once you get going. Will be interesting to see how any of our building philosophies vary and how we handle the issues that always arise. I have to resist the tendency to build for strength and thus overthink and overbuild. A carryover from my escapement and pulse rudder days, I guess, when a successful day was having enough left to rebuild by the next weekend.

Good luck.

Bill
Jan 06, 2018, 05:27 PM
I like thermals
Thanks. I grew up with pulse and have always enjoyed done form of rudder-only/single channel flying.

As far as mods, I will probably increase the width of the trailing edge stock a bit and add a gusset or two, but otherwise stick to plan as I am building for rubber power.
Last edited by pulserudder; Jan 07, 2018 at 10:37 AM.
Jan 08, 2018, 05:13 PM
Thread OP
First progress report:

I began on the fuselage and one photo shows the very first piece of 3/16"balsa. The second photo is of the nearly complete first side. I will start on the second tonight, building on top of this one for consistency and accuracy.

Weight is 7 grams.

The wing rib template is from 1/32" aluminum from the craft section of a hobby store. I had cut out a landing gear for a light weight cabin job that worked, but bent on every landing. Replaced it with a 1/16" aluminum one and all is good.
Jan 10, 2018, 07:58 PM
Thread OP

Pacific Ace plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGlider07
Doug, the plan is in the mail. Don't know how long it will take with the holiday and all but it is at the post office.

As for my build, starting tomorrow will begin on the 41" wingspan version.

Bill
simmler, did you ever receive the plan for the 53" version of the Pacific Ace?
Last edited by SuperGlider07; Jan 10, 2018 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Overrode spellcheck

Quick Reply