Dec 28, 2017, 06:21 PM
union paraplegic organizer
Discussion

Motor, esc, prop for a rescue boat. NEED HELP PLEASE.

Hello all.

My rc hobby has opened up to include boats. Previously, my physical limitations (paralyzed) deterred me from getting into them. I watched eno ugh videos to build my confidence using retrieval boats.

I currently use a tug boat. Iíd like to build a rescue rig out of noodle wrapped pvc pipe with a prop powering it. I like how Iíve seen some that really scoot across the water. Yeah, I know, pvc isnít boat-able.

My question. What ďdrivetrainĒ? I was checking out the Aquacraft air boats. Thought about buying a parts boat and using its system? I just didnít know if itíd have enough ooomph?

Any help would be appreciated. Iím needing advice for it all please? Esc, motor, prop.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2017, 11:36 PM
you would pretty much powering a boat with an air plane motor, so I would get an idea as to how much the boat will weight and then you can get an idea what you need for a power system .not sure how you will mount you motor ,steering and the esc to this noodle wrapped pvc pipe
Dec 29, 2017, 09:15 AM
Sokol
difficult to know what to specify when you give a few hints.
did you try google first ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rc+r...nt=firefox-b-1

Andrew Newton has a nice video that can give you a lot of info how to build his model

Rc Rescue Boat build (10 min 46 sec)

Quote:
Materials, dimensions and build techniques for the RC Seaplane Rescue Boat.
Programming mixes will be in the next video.
EPP tube (pool noodle) $3 from KMart
20mm electrical conduit and joiners from Bunnings
x 3 Motors - Turnigy 2822/14 1450kV
x 3 ESCs - Afro SimonK 30A x 3 (2 opto)
Receiver - HK 6ch
All control via right stick. Forward, reverse and steering
Last edited by JureZ; Dec 29, 2017 at 09:26 AM.
Dec 29, 2017, 09:23 AM
Sokol
RC Seaplane Rescue Boat (6 min 11 sec)
Dec 29, 2017, 09:28 AM
Sokol
RC Seaplane Rescue boat mods (3 min 30 sec)
Dec 29, 2017, 09:38 AM
Oh yeah. Google and You Tube. Iíve been looking at pix mostly. The few I liked I tried going to their page to research.
I have an idea in my head. I just donít know, like, which esc to get since the power is obviously used to steer.

My biggest boat is an MHZ 114 with twin Neus. Itís about 44Ē-46Ē. The rest are 40Ē and under.

I bought some air boat pieces to try and give it some scale after itís built, lol.

I seen one guy mounted what looked like a 1/10 scale Traxxas body for the motor mount, lol.

Great video, thanks for that Jure
Dec 29, 2017, 01:25 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Sub-Forums : Boats

Dec 29, 2017, 03:39 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
This IS the boating forum...
Dec 29, 2017, 04:26 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
This IS the boating forum...
They probably moved it here from airplanes...
Dec 30, 2017, 10:20 PM
I just figured since I was asking about airplane power, (esc, motor, prop)....

Lol.
Jan 18, 2018, 08:48 AM
Man, I’m now finding all sorts of build pages. Only happens when I start a thread, lol.

So I bought 3 Red Brick 50a esc's. Two of them opto and one BEC. They didn’t have the Afro esc’s Andrew used.

I can go with the motors Andrew went with.......or a bump up in amp set of motors.
They are:
Turnigy 2822/14 1450kv max 10a or. (Andrews motors with 30a esc’s)
Turnigy 2826/10 1400kv max 21a

And it looks like a 7” x 4” blade for 2S.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, I’ll be running this rig with my Taranis x9 PLUS so I should have enough channels to do everything. I’m also planning fpv.
Jan 18, 2018, 09:50 AM
Sokol
definitely it won't hurt to go with the larger motors , Turnigy 2826/10 1400kv , a dozen more grams of weight per motor.
You will have to consider the battery capacity to provide the motor current for the expected amount of time.

The fact that the motors will be oversized compared to Andrew's model , is that you will have extra available power in reserve ,
but you will not need to run the motors at full power all the time ...
Jan 18, 2018, 10:01 AM
Thanks JureZ again.
I’m getting stoked. My battery charge station is about done leaving only this retrieval rig to finish. Our water doesn’t freeze.

I’m ordering the 2826s now, thanks for the advice.

I also started building an X out of PVC. I didn’t glue anything so I’m gonna change it over to how Andrew and several others do theirs, sort of a Y
Jan 18, 2018, 10:07 AM
Sokol
but, given that both motors have essentially the same Kv, you will need a larger prop to get more power
Jan 19, 2018, 06:07 PM
I was gonna start with 8”x 4”. I’ll buy several sizes no more than they cost.

Will I need one of those little boards that all the wires from esc mount to, to mix?
How do the motors adjust power for turning, etc.? Is there a brain for it all (board) or ......

Quick Reply