Question please on my first wing Strix Alatus - RC Groups
Dec 28, 2017, 02:37 PM
Discussion

Question please on my first wing Strix Alatus

Hi

Just a quick question, I've currently purchased my first fpv wing from RMRC this is my first wing as i normally fly fpv Quads and helicopters.

The wing i purchased is Strix Alatus from RMRC Standard kit
TBS crossfire 2.4Ghz and a 1800 4s
The balance is perfect and followed all the info but the
wing really doesn't like going slow is this normal?

Also the wing does Random wobbles and sometimes feels like it out of control. is this user error? wind?
I understand I'm learning a new chapter but would like to no if this is normal?

Also are wings easy to roll as I'm struggling getting this thing to roll?
my throws are 7mm up 5mm down

Any Info on any above greatly appreciated
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2017, 08:11 AM
Quote:
The balance is perfect and followed all the info but the
wing really doesn't like going slow is this normal?

Also the wing does Random wobbles and sometimes feels like it out of control. is this user error? wind?
I understand I'm learning a new chapter but would like to no if this is normal?
https://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...oducts_id=6064

According to the RMRC website, this wing is marketed as a racer. Racing aircraft are generally optimized for high top speed, not low speed handling. Conventional tailed planform racers can have high lift devices on the wing that allow better slow speed handling without effecting the top speed. The general lack of high lift devices for flying wing planform aircraft mean that the only practical method of lowering wingloading (assuming weight has been minimized) is to increase the wing area, a practice that would be undesirable in a racer because it would reduce top speed due to drag.

It appears from the photo at the RMRC website, this chevron planform wing has a pair of small vertical stabilizers mounted near the root of the wing. That location is very near the aerodynamic center of the model, so they would be expected to be less effective than if they were mounted near the wingtips as in traditional chevron wings.

Any flying wing is a poor choice compared with a conventional tailed planform model as a first fixed wing aircraft.
Dec 29, 2017, 09:45 AM
Thanks for that DT56,
Guess more stick time is needed with this wing and more high speed flying
Dec 31, 2017, 10:36 AM
Good insights you have received. Definitely not a slow flying wing design. Keeping above 1/2 throttle, or so, should keep it flying nicely above stall speed.

Let add that your racing wing appears setup for smooth flying and not aerobatics. AKA, minimum control throws to follow a race course. For comparison, I fly for sport two Zagi 400XL's on 3 cells with around 300 watts each. Recommended factory throw on the aileron travel is 3/8 inch up/down. I fly them at twice this (3/4 inch) to liven things up! Feel free to tune your wing beyond what is recommended.
Jan 01, 2018, 07:10 PM
FPV is not a Crime
I have one of these and found the recommended throws to be way too low. I set up a three position switch with the recommended throws at the lowest position and two higher sets of rates. RMRC says that the wing is guaranteed not to high speed stall, and I can see why because at the recommended throws it barely turns at all, so of course it won't! Try higher rate but be aware that if you push it too far you may put it into a flat spin.

This wing does not like to go slow, and it was a brave choice as a first wing! It flies well enough but is sensitive to cg and control surface issues, and is not the easiest to lauch (though a good throw at 75% throttle usually does it). As for the waggle you get after hard maneuvers, all wings do this to a degree, but it is unnerving in this one as it seems to rock back and forth on the yaw access continually. I cut the tips off and put the winglets on and it helped a little with this issue, though did not completely eliminate it. I have just learned to accept it, but it does feel like it is going to spin at any moment all the time. I think this is an illusion of the fpv camera, because in LOS I have never noticed it.

I understand why you went this route, I too came from quads and had no Idea how to set up a wing when I started. I went with a Micro Skyhunter which was exceedingly easy to setup, launch and fly, then a S800 which I built and then the Alatus, so by the time I got it I had some experience in the wing world. If I had talked to you before you started, this wing is not what I would have recommended for you to learn on. If you don't have a lot of sucess with this wing I wouldn't be surprised, and it may be a good idea to set it aside and get something cheap and easy to get your feet wet with, then coming back to this beast. I would hate for you to get frustrated and give up on wings because you bought a tough one, because wings really are a lot of fun, at least as much as quads, once you get the hang of them.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Quick Reply