32-37 inch Glider - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 28, 2017, 01:39 PM
Electric_RC
Discussion

32-37 inch Glider

I am looking for a glider for my front yard in 32-37 inch wingspan range that uses 2S 300mAh battery. Does anyone know of one? I already have those batteries and I really don't want to buy different batteries considering I won't use them much.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2017, 06:10 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...5-wingspan-pnp

It says discontinued, but they're around.
Dec 28, 2017, 07:05 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Do you want a motor glider or a NON-motor glider ?
Dec 28, 2017, 07:53 PM
B for Bruce
For your front yard I'd say you want more of a really light and small "slow flyer". Something built up really lightly that uses one of the little 5 to 9gm motors. Something of the sort would work well with your 2S 300mah packs.

Of course any of the smaller and super lightly made indoor 3D models would easily fly in your yard during calm to VERY light wind conditions too. And when trimmed well and given reduced throws can be surprisingly friendly to fly. Otherwise stick with a RET slow flyer.

What you'll get with a model that is more of a slow flyer is tighter turns and more wing area in a smaller span. So you can do more in the limited space than just fly around in continuous turns that climb and descend.

Another option that would be superb for front yard flying is to convert a rubber model to electric RC flying. If you're OK with the stick and tissue stuff you can do a really nice and light fun to fly model. But to keep it light it'll tend to be more fragile. If you'd rather avoid that then the built up slow flyer with a light carbon tube fuselage style of build might be a better idea.
Dec 28, 2017, 07:57 PM
B for Bruce
Something like THIS ONE but scaled down to around 30 inch span and built light to a weight of around 3 oz would work wonderfully in a small area. You could fly up a storm in a baseball diamond and never extend out past the bases.
Dec 29, 2017, 05:13 AM
Electric_RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JureZ
Thanks everyone, I was looking for a glider with a motor. These are some interesting options. This is interesting.....
Dec 29, 2017, 12:23 PM
B for Bruce
Some of those small glider like models with motors are actually quite fast flying. If you need to be able to slow down well then you should double check by looking at some You Tube videos of such options.

One which does slow down very nicely and can soar as well as do some mild aerobatics is the Radian UMX. And I'm surprised that no one mentioned it yet. As an ARF or BnF option I'd say for limited size area that it would be a champ.

One thing that it can't do that a slow flyer with big wheels can do is shoot touch and go landings and takeoffs. The UMX has no landing gear so it's a hand launch model. And this is another reason why I think that a slow flyer style would be a better option.
Dec 29, 2017, 12:37 PM
Electric_RC
I had a UMX Radian one time and was my first choice and I started thinking 1S batteries do not do very well in the cold. Since going to the field is pretty much out of the question because of the cold. I was looking for something pretty small I could fly in the front yard and then when I am frozen I can go back inside and warm up. I fly now the UMX Timer and 31-34 inch EPP foamies and they do fine. I was also looking at the UMX Waco BL (21in wingspan) as they use the same batteries I have for the UMX Timber. I was not real clear on that in my original post.
Dec 29, 2017, 02:25 PM
UMX Radian uses 1s batteries, and OP had started out specifying he wanted to use existing 2s batteries. It is probably one of the better choices for that size area.

I have both Timber and WACO UMX, for a small area the WACO is probably a bit better for a small area as it can fly at a slightly slower speed. But both would probably get the job done. And that would fit within the 2s battery requirement.

Regards
Dec 29, 2017, 03:03 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
A 32" - 37" motor glider using a 300mAh 2S battery is going to have heavier wing loading and will therefore be faster flying . For slow front yard flying with that battery and wingspan limit , it's likely going to have be a plane that can harrier well .... like a 3D plane , Pizza Box Flyer or Nutball . You can easily scratch build a PBF or Nutball , or you can get a PBF from Fancy Foam and a Nutball from Ken's cad models .

http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...Box_p_197.html

https://www.kenscadmodels.com/produc...y-frank-weaver

4 channel PBF :

PbF Cool Pizza Box Flyer (9 min 21 sec)

Slow flying 3 channel Nutball :

26" Nutball RC plane (1 min 49 sec)
Dec 29, 2017, 03:17 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
The UMX Radian can do fine in the cold. And is the best glider for flitting around in the yard. Easily launched and caught by hand with a little practice.

For cold performance, use G7 Graphene high voltage 220mah Hyperions. Pick up a cheap PO1 BoldClash or comparable LiHV 1S charger. Keep the batteries in your pocket until you need them. Put a piece of tape across the bottom of the battery bay after hooking one up.

You'll have full power for the capacity of the battery. There's a small weight penalty so also buy some light 160mah for good weather thermal hunting.
Dec 30, 2017, 03:53 PM
B for Bruce
Both the PBF and Nutball videos show the gentle side of each style design. But they also have a wild side you can see in any number of You Tube videos. The right size done in dollar store foam with the right motor would be a good match for your small and light 2S 300mah packs as well.

Just depends on how you want to fly.

Quick Reply