Jun 17, 2019, 09:43 AM
Totally planned it that way
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbow
Ordered a Super Baja Rey BND. First road vehicle so I need tools, tires, supplies like tire glue and other stuff. Special order so two weeks or more for arrival.
I am using a simple "ground/air" tool kit for larger models that is working fine... As there isn't much love for the SBR on RCG, I've gotten into a couple of the Facebook groups to get more info and help and tips..

One FYI tip, reinforce the screw points from the frame to the body on the rear quarter panels. I've had 2 of the panels rip around the retaining screw/washer and pull loose. One was an easy fix on the rear bumper area but the other was under the roof/door panel and required me to take both of them off to get the rear quarter panel back in place. A lot of guys just take the rear quarter panels off and I think I'm leaning that way.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2019, 04:48 PM

info

Thanks for the information. After watching SBR videos I am going to change a few things. Like taking the rear quarter panels off, spare tire off and something about shocks.
Last edited by carbow; Jun 17, 2019 at 06:08 PM.
Jun 18, 2019, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the information. After watching SBR videos I am going to change a few things. Like taking the rear quarter panels off, spare tire off and something about shocks.
I ended up putting my spare tire back on... I found I liked the weight on the back for jumps and also to help the back in settle down on jumps. It does make the truck squat more under throttle load though.
Jun 26, 2019, 10:15 PM

Shipped

Shipped today, arrival next week. Couple questions on running it. What range of temperatures should I look for on the motor after a drive. Going to start with 4S 5000 50C batteries. Then 6S 5000 50C.
Jun 27, 2019, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Shipped today, arrival next week. Couple questions on running it. What range of temperatures should I look for on the motor after a drive. Going to start with 4S 5000 50C batteries. Then 6S 5000 50C.
For that answer I would suggest checking on some of the FB pages relating to the SBR... I have never measured my temps on my motor as I usually run one set of batteries in it, switch to another car, and then switch back to the SBR so it has cool-down time. Obviously there is not a lot of info on this forum about the SBR to dig into. If you use Facebook just search Losi Super Baja Rey and you should get at least 3 or 4 pages devoted to SBR groups. I am part of one that talks about SBRs, SRRs, and the smaller 1/10th BR and RR. Lot of valuable info and you usually get questions answered in a few hours.

I will tell you this, I've run 6S (2 3S Batts) 5000 75-100C batteries and never had a high-temp cutoff happen. My batteries last about 10-15 minutes depending on throttle management. I do run through cut grass mostly so there is decent resistance on the drive line to help keep the motor for overspooling like you might have on sand or fine dirt. Also, tall grass will bog down the motor and make it heat up.
Jun 27, 2019, 08:09 AM
Appreciate the information. I am going to run on cut too mostly. Have not joined the FB group (yet) but have been checking it out. Thanks for the help.
Jun 27, 2019, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Appreciate the information. I am going to run on cut too mostly. Have not joined the FB group (yet) but have been checking it out. Thanks for the help.
Yeah, I have had zero issues with mine on cut grass. I know the manual suggests changing out the pinion if you're going to run sand or tall grass.
Jun 27, 2019, 07:42 PM

video

Been watching too many Baja Trophy Truck videos, but this one was fun.

Monster Energy: Ballistic BJ Baldwin Recoil 2 - Unleashed in Ensenada, Mexico (7 min 6 sec)
Jul 03, 2019, 08:30 AM

Arrived

HH had to help me bind to my DX4C, I kept missing steps. Tried it on 6S power(OMG), blew me away. Going to practice on 4S while I learn to drive a 4 wheeling rc Trophy Truck.
Jul 03, 2019, 10:48 AM
Yeah, gotta have plenty of room or a well designed area to run the 6S... I basically use up 2 back yards and a farm field behind the house to really feel like I stretch the legs on 6S. I have the DX2e that comes with the RTR and if I'm in a smaller area I'll just use the throttle limiter switch and run at 50% throttle to keep it manageable as I don't have a good 4S setup of batteries to run on it. The AVC really helps so don't be afraid to turn it up.... I ran it at about 60% for my first 5 runs or so... I now run it at about 30%. Just enough to keep the front end straight but not enough to where I feel like it's not me driving the car.
Jul 03, 2019, 08:27 PM

slowly

Have not got it out of the back yard alley yet. Soon to the park/school by my house with lots of running room. Almost finished with plastic panels to replace the body shell just need to paint them. Fixed the rear lights, so they area red when turned on. May try to put a on/off switch on the lights if I can find one. Almost have the cart/wagon done I made to carry SBR to the parks which are a short walking distance. Lots of fun.
Jul 09, 2019, 07:31 PM

now running

Excited to find 7 blocks form my house a BMX bike track(didn't know it was there) by the skate board park. Same place has a wide open parking area. So lots of room to allow SBR to let loose and a really nice track to practice on.
Jul 10, 2019, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Excited to find 7 blocks form my house a BMX bike track(didn't know it was there) by the skate board park. Same place has a wide open parking area. So lots of room to allow SBR to let loose and a really nice track to practice on.
UGH, so lucky... I really don't have a good place to run on dirt nearby other than hitting up farm fields or construction areas. Lots of open parking lots but that gets boring after a while. We do have a nice walking path in the woods within walking distance of my house but it's really narrow and twisty so it'd be tight to run the SBR in there. Best option for me to get "dirt" work in has been local ball fields but they've been pretty busy with games this summer.
Jul 11, 2019, 11:27 PM

surprized

Visited the BMX track tonight. Thought I do some easy slow practice. Ended up blasting around, jumping, crashing and flying off the banked curved going to fast. . Broke a side panel and part of the hood. Coolest part was going through mud in the valleys then blasting over a hill. Truck was covered in mud when I left. Now all cleaned up and ready for tomorrow. Going to try 6S on the grass field and paved parking area stay 4S for the track.
Jul 12, 2019, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Visited the BMX track tonight. Thought I do some easy slow practice. Ended up blasting around, jumping, crashing and flying off the banked curved going to fast. . Broke a side panel and part of the hood. Coolest part was going through mud in the valleys then blasting over a hill. Truck was covered in mud when I left. Now all cleaned up and ready for tomorrow. Going to try 6S on the grass field and paved parking area stay 4S for the track.
I've cracked the back of one of the rear quarter panels and had the other rear quarter panel rip out from the retaining screw up by the cab of the truck on the other side. Suggestions I got for easy repairs were to get some drywall tape and put it on the inside of the cracked panel or to use foam-tac glue covered with packing tape on the inside of the panel. For the ripped out screw point I'm probably going to try the glue/packing tape with a little wider washer put on that specific screw point. I also had suggested that you can take something like a plastic "for sale" sign you'd buy at the hardware store and trim it and glue it under cracks and such on the back side of the panel (so it's not noticeable) to reinforce cracked panels. That seems like the best way to put a really solid reinforcement together.

Quick Reply