Kfx 201 - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jan 08, 2018, 09:30 AM
I was thinking the same thing about the dirt right after I posted. It was almost 1 in the morning. I'll work on a version with the prop facing up.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2018, 05:37 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmagnificado
I was thinking the same thing about the dirt right after I posted. It was almost 1 in the morning. I'll work on a version with the prop facing up.
With the prop facing up the motor could be damaged easier on bad belly landings.
What you can do is make a large version and use it as a flying lawnmower and trim the tall patches of grass.
Jan 08, 2018, 09:36 PM
Ha! I think you're on to something.
Feb 12, 2018, 01:26 AM

Progress

Got a baby sitter and finally made some progress on this thing. Didn't have time to take build pics, but was able to get a few pics after gluing it all together. Still need to put the rest of the guts in there, but I was able to get the motors on and a glide test in.

Went through my stockpile of motors and found a couple 1400 kv ebay jobs, so I decided to go with an in-line dual prop configuration with a couple 8x4's and 40A esc's. I did a quick thrust test on a 2200mah 3s (hold the tip and let her rip) and she can definitely go vertical, no problem. I recently got a couple 4s's, so I might see what she can do on those after I get used to how she flies. I only had matching props in that size so I might have to order some counter rotating props. but the torque roll wasn't too bad during the the thrust test with a 40inch WS. Not sure if she'll fit in the car! ;-).

Hope to finish her in the next couple days and get a maiden in before the end of the week.
Last edited by elmagnificado; Feb 12, 2018 at 01:44 AM.
Feb 12, 2018, 06:44 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Nice, looking good. Interesting motor set up, didn't notice it till I got home and was able to look at the pics at a larger scale than on my cell phone. Any disadvantages to running them like that?
Last edited by Timbo383; Feb 12, 2018 at 08:01 PM.
Feb 12, 2018, 07:09 PM
skumgummi dave
Love the looks of that. Good luck on the first flight...

Dave-
Feb 18, 2018, 10:49 AM
Finished her up and had to wrangle her into the trunk. Didnt realize I bend the elevator doing that. Had her in the car for almost a week then finally had time and weather to fly but it was windy with 15-20 MPH gusts. I thought she'd be ok being so big and all, but she's light and it was throwing her around quite a bit. Also had to adjust the cg a couple times.

Sorry no maiden vid. Everything went OK for a couple safe short flights, but as soon as I let her rip, the bent elevator started to flutter like crazy and became hard to control. I also have a lot of elevator material in front of the hinge. I had to put her down kind of hard. The elevator was starting to rip the hinge and I had no elevator control on that side.

Should get to some repairs and add more reinforcement in a few days. Have some counter rotating props coming in the mail in a couple days also so I'll try and get some video when I get her out again.
Feb 18, 2018, 02:48 PM
skumgummi dave
Feb 18, 2018, 04:53 PM
Retired CAD guy
Reinforce the elevon hinges with Blenderm , maybe on Both sides.

Also with a cf strip across them or even embedded edgewise if possible.

Can't tell but the Forward of hinge line doesn't look like its in the Prop stream
but rather outside the rudders.

I have lots of that in the prop stream on my F-22

Be sure you have supports for the push rods it they are long.

This could be built with a combo of White foam and Black/Grey foam.

I found that works well and looks nice an contrasty

Quick Reply