Dec 27, 2017, 02:37 PM
Discussion

Next plane?

Hello,

I am looking for my next plane. I want something bigger (1m wingspan or more) umx is great but I would like to be able to fly farther, faster, and higher without loosing orientation. Something relatively easy to control but I think I can move past trainers. I would like a low wing but I know those aren't as popular and tricycle landing gear preferably. Price below $300 including batteries. I have a spektrum dx6e and dx6i transmitter. I fly over grass but take off/land on pavement if possible. My flying area is 400ft by 550ft with a few trees. I like to fly scale with maybe a bit of aerobatics.

Some background on my flying history.
I am just a few hours short of getting my private pilots license. I had rc planes a few years ago (before safe mode was a thing) . I had a t-28 Trojan micro and full size, and a night vapor. I crashed the micro Trojan quite a few times but never completely destroyed it (my brother in law did that). The full size Trojan I never really crashed but when I initially assembled and flew it the wing came off but it was ok. I glued it on and never really crashed it after that. But it made me so nervous flying it that I was going to crash it that I never really enjoyed it. The micro Trojan was better because I wasn't as nervous about crashing it. The vapor was great until my cousin kneeled on it. That was the end of that. I sold all of them though because I just didn't fly them much and was moving. I have since gotten back into the hobby and I got a sport cub s umx, Trojan s umx, and a vapor. I can fly the sport cub pretty well but have only taken it out once. I did nosedive because the battery died and I was confused as to why (had only flew it for a minute) I guess it just lost charge from when I charged it. It didn't do much damage just scraped foam. It has been fine other than that. I just have a bit of a hard time with power off landings because it looses speed so quickly landing into the wind. I am using the cub to train and build confidence before I fly the Trojan. The vapor is great, no issues there. Could use a bit more power, I remember my old one being faster, but it could just be the fact that I only flew the old one in zero wind. I want something that can handle more wind, is bigger, and not too scary to fly.

Some planes I've been thinking about
Eflite timber 1.5m (prefer tricycle gear)
Eflite apprentice 1.5m (a bit boring)
Eflite umx aero commander (a bit small)
Eflite icon a5 1.3m (have always loved this plane but I don't have much water around me)
Eflite Cirrus SR22T 1.5m (love this plane but I would be nervous about crashing it since it's such a beautiful model)

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the help!
Last edited by brendon7358; Dec 27, 2017 at 04:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2017, 03:27 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
If you are interested in scratch building , you can build your own airframes out of foam board from a Dollar Store for as little as $1 ..... then you don't have to be nervous about crashing . If a $1 airframe is crashed beyond repair , you simply make a new airframe for another $1 ..... the electronics usually survive crashes and can be transferred to a new airframe .

Hundreds ( maybe thousands ) of ideas for scratch built planes in this forum : https://www.rcgroups.com/foamies-scratchbuilt-428/

Here are two Dollar Store planes I've made :

the slowest one :

Lightweight 40" wingspan FT Old Fogey-ish (2 min 58 sec)

the fastest one :

Dollar Tree foam board SkyFun ( ish ) (4 min 6 sec)

They can , of course , be decorated to look nicer .
Dec 27, 2017, 03:35 PM
I think it's time to fly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon7358
. . . . . .
Eflite Cirrus SR22T 1.5m (love this plane but wish it had retracts, also I would be nervous about crashing it since it's such a beautiful model)

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the help!
The full scale SR22 doesn't have retracts and it meets all of your other requirements.
Latest blog entry: All things that fly.
Dec 27, 2017, 06:18 PM
The Sensei is a superb plane & the new version even has WISE stability, although really not needed. Links attached....

Denny

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEXZM&P=ML

Flyzone Sensei Trainer Review - Part 1, Intro and Flight Footage (7 min 11 sec)

Flyzone Sensei Trainer Review - Part 2, Review Scoring (14 min 16 sec)
Dec 28, 2017, 12:02 PM
Perpetual Noob
Take a look at the E-Flite Valiant as an alternative to the Timber. It doesn't have the issues with the landing gear the Timber has as it is not sprung.

Quick Reply