This thread is privately moderated by jj604, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 27, 2017, 05:30 AM
ancora imparo
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Inside the iSDT D2 AC/DC charger

iSDT are the innovative kid on the block as far as Chinese charger manufacturers go. Their extremely compact and well thought out range with excellent UI and very clear colour screen are setting a new benchmark. I have a couple of SC-608s and a Q6 Plus which live in my field battery box and transmitter cases as they take up almost no room and run direct off any large LiPo with an XT60 plug. Great for charging smaller packs at the field.

The DC2 is their only AC/DC charger and is a powerful (for its size) genuine 6S duo charger with 12Amps per side up to a total max load of 200Watts. It's a pleasure to use.

http://www.isdt.co/d2.html

There have been a few reports on the RCGroups thread of a Channel 2 failure on these chargers and sure enough after months of flawless performance mine suddenly announced a "Configuration error" on that channel and refused to charge.

So I pulled it apart to see if it was something simple like a fuse - it wasn't of course and this charger is now an ex-parrot.

Thought people might be interested in what's in it however as this device is deliberately designed not to be serviced or disassembled.

The only way into it is to remove the inset top screen which is a rigid plastic and very firmly stuck down with double sided tape. Only then can you get access to the 6 screws that hold the case together. The mouldings are of very high quality and precise fit.

UPDATE: The easiest way to remove the iSDT faceplates is to heat them uniformly with hair drier or heat gun on a low setting until the adhesive softens.

See first photo.

When the screws are out you can lift off the top of the case (with the display and control wheel) and reveal the works. The top half is the AC/DC power supply and the bottom half the charger board. Properly separated by a rigid insulating divider.

See second photo.

The AC/DC supply is not made by iSDT but is an off the shelf Meanwell EPP-200-27 27Volt, 200 Watt (7.5A) supply. Meanwell are well known in the PS business.

See third photo and the Meanwell specs.

The board itself is held in with 4 screws, appears well made and has a decent heat sink for the MOSFETS that do the actual current control. The layout is well thought out to put the heatsink in the direct air from the cooling fans within a very tight footprint.

See attachments 6 and 7.

I am very impressed with iSDT chargers in general. They have genuinely lifted the game in what has been a fairly pedestrian category. I absolutely love the tiny SC-608s as 150Watt field chargers for 3/4S 1300/2200 size Lipos. And the Q6 is absolutely tiny for a 300Watt charger. I suspect the D2 design has an obscure fault however as there have been a few Channel 2 failures reported, and I won't be replacing it. I have an idea for reusing the case and PS however.

UPDATE: I have added pictures of the main board top and bottom with the heatsink removed. You can see the MOSFET that cooked! iSDT have used 4 MOSFETs per channel not a large single one as I had assumed before I took the heatsink off. The two sets of 6x 3.9Ohm bleed resistors for balancing are also clearly visible.

John
Last edited by jj604; Oct 14, 2018 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Added more pictures.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2018, 03:24 PM
Flying Meerkat
Fantastic work, thanks! Would be curious to see how many ISDT D2s have actually developed this fault. Got mine only recently, knowing it might develop the problem in some time. Been using the Channel 2 more than C1, just for testing to see if it pops.

Also, if it's a single MOSFET that got cooked, shouldn't be (too) difficult to replace it with another one?
Jan 01, 2018, 05:09 PM
ancora imparo
Thread OP
Those SMD Mosfets are tricky to remove from a crowded board unless you have the appropriate gear and in any case this one obviously completely shorted out and damaged the PC board. It wasn't worth the effort - and I suspect it wouldn't have worked anyway. If it had been a bigger Mosfet in a T220 case or similar it might be a different story. This happened after the Channel 2 error appeared and as I was trying to get it to work. I had done a firmware update and then when I used a 5S instead of a 4S test pack it smoked. No idea what caused it but you have to suspect some kind of software issue that turned the Fet fully on.
Jan 03, 2018, 06:03 PM
Flying Meerkat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
No idea what caused it but you have to suspect some kind of software issue that turned the Fet fully on.
Huh. Might avoid upgrading the FW then...what version were you on if you don't mind me asking?
Jan 03, 2018, 06:31 PM
ancora imparo
Thread OP
Can’t check on the charger now but I had installed the latest version available on the website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisJ
Huh. Might avoid upgrading the FW then...what version were you on if you don't mind me asking?
Feb 20, 2018, 12:41 PM
Any idea what the DC input with the xt30 is rated for? Could that be broken out so as to power the charger from a large lipo?
Quote:
Canít check on the charger now but I had installed the latest version available on the website.
Feb 20, 2018, 05:45 PM
ancora imparo
Thread OP
The internal power supply has a 27V output.

My guess is the charger would run fine on a 6S although whether it will deliver full rated current output on that voltage is unknown unless you test it. Probably yes.
Feb 21, 2018, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the update! Hopefully they'll release an updated D2 that has this feature already.

Quote:
The internal power supply has a 27V output.

My guess is the charger would run fine on a 6S although whether it will deliver full rated current output on that voltage is unknown unless you test it. Probably yes.
Apr 11, 2018, 03:48 AM
My new charger just dead when I started the system self checking, neither the time to charge the first battery.

I found one smd component burned on the main board, anybody know if is a capacitor or a fuse? Please see the attacment.

Quick Reply