What is this?! - RC Groups
Dec 26, 2017, 10:43 PM
Discussion

What is this?!

Hi All:
Had a crash and, upon inspecting the ESC, noticed the capacitor had been "relocated." I took the shrink wrap off to inspect the connection and this metal plate thing came free along with the shrink wrap. What is the purpose of this thing? Is it a heat sink? The side that was resting on the esc electronics has a thin plastic sheet on it, I assume for insulation or just cushion?
Thanks for your help.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2017, 11:18 PM
Yes, that is the heat sink, and the plastic sheet is a heat transfer device, so the heat will be conducted from the transistors to the sink. I may also be an insulator, electricity-wise, but I don't see the need for that here.
Dec 27, 2017, 12:09 AM
I'm All Thumbs
Prolly just a double sided adhesive pad.Not the best conductive arrangement.
J
Dec 27, 2017, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the replies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr
Yes, that is the heat sink, and the plastic sheet is a heat transfer device, so the heat will be conducted from the transistors to the sink..
Thatís what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne
Prolly just a double sided adhesive pad.Not the best conductive arrangement.
J
Not double sided, just stuck to the heat sink.
Dec 30, 2017, 05:51 PM
I am a nice guy! Really!
The plastic sheet is both an insulator and thermally conductive. It is absolutely needed to keep th transistors from shorting to the heat sink.
Latest blog entry: A123 battery source
Dec 30, 2017, 05:58 PM
I am a nice guy! Really!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr
Yes, that is the heat sink, and the plastic sheet is a heat transfer device, so the heat will be conducted from the transistors to the sink. I may also be an insulator, electricity-wise, but I don't see the need for that here.
Half the FET,s on the ESC have their metal tab connected to the battery positive, the other half are connected to negative. Leaving out the insulating sheet will cause a short.
Dec 30, 2017, 06:33 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Have a closer look Mike, the metal tabs of the 6 FETs are to the PCB side, not on the heat sink side.
The heat sink is mounted on the type number side of the FETs.
This ESC could handle more current without plastic sheet.
Unless they don't trust their own soldering not to touch the heat sink.

In the situation you are describing, two separate heat sinks without plastic sheet would give a better controller.
Of course the manufacturer would ruin that advantage by wrapping the controller in heatshrink.

Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar Ron
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Dec 30, 2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: typos
Dec 30, 2017, 08:31 PM
I am a nice guy! Really!
Right you are, Ron, I see that the metal tabs are not exposed looking closer at the pictures.
Dec 31, 2017, 12:54 AM
The plastic sheet takes up any air gaps between the transistor cases and the sink, so, no, it wouldn't be cooler without it. A good paste compound would be somewhat better, but that costs more pennies to apply.
Jan 06, 2018, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all the info guys... closing the thread.

Quick Reply