Grumpy old men run RC clubs like HAM radio! - RC Groups
Dec 25, 2017, 06:57 PM
Discussion

Grumpy old men run RC clubs like HAM radio!

So I wanted to join a local field near me to fy and learn. FPV wil be my thing. Oh wait, they do not allow it! I guess since the plane must be los at the same time, it is illegal. When I got on the airways after getting my ham licence, it is always grumpy old men who jump on quick to make sure they point out anything wrong with you. Your TX power 0.000001 MW over the legal limit? You can rest assure that a grumpy old man will tell you tales of FCC ninjas jumping out of planes to get you. (exagerating).

By the way, my rant is not that it is illegal persay, it is how they explain it. Instead of just saying "sorry can't do that here" a grumpy old man makes sure to tell you in such a way, that you will considered just throwing your gear away in fear of .gov or being humiliated.

So since FPV is apparently illegal at an AMA sponsered field, where do you go to fly?

Sorry for my rant. I just wish old timers would get with the times. Some of them, if it ain't LOS flying, then your an idiot noob doing something that MUST be dangerous or illegal.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 25, 2017, 07:05 PM
Oh and I brought up, what if its an fpv screen and not googles, so the plane is still visible.. "Well... ummmm yea I dunno about that. Probably not a good idea". Pffft

I guess since I cant learn and fly at a regulated field, downtown or somewhere else populated will have to do. :P j/k
Last edited by IwillFlySoon; Dec 25, 2017 at 07:20 PM.
Dec 26, 2017, 03:59 AM
learn to fly los first, it will make you a better pilot. Join the field and eat some crow while you learn. You will more than likely learn that some of the other members are interested in, or are already flying fpv somewhere else.
Dec 26, 2017, 06:17 AM
RAF 001
My recommendation is to first learn the official rules. Both, the AMA version and the FAA version. Lots of changes going on and it would behoove you to stay up on them. The FAA does not accept the "I didn't know!" excuse.

I know the AMA allows FPV but I don't know the details of it. I also know it would be best for you to learn LOS flight before you try FPV. Just leave the camera off it to avoid temptation. Maybe pick up some of the study materials for FAA Part 107 just to broaden your understanding of things.

As for clubs not allowing Drones. Some clubs do that. Let's face it, MRs (and Helicopters) fly differently than fixed wing. And I know from experience the frustration that comes from a helicopter practicing hovering over the runway when I'm trying to get a dead stick safely on the ground. Mixing the different types of aircraft has always been a problem for many clubs.

Maybe join the club and learn fixed wing first just to get a feel for what the conflicts can be.

And remember, it's against the law to fly beyond your line of sight. Drop it behind those trees out there and it's illegal. Simple as that. No matter how close those trees are.

You might go back to that club and ask if they allow helicopters. If they do, then ask where they practice? They probably have a separate helicopter area just to keep the different types separated.

When you fly FPV, be it with goggles or a screen. AMA and FAA both require you have a spotter. And again, LOS only.
Dec 26, 2017, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess some of it makes sense. I read a nice article that explained how helicopters and 3d planes got the same flak when they were new, and about how they are now mainstream, and it's the pilot, not the equip, yadda yadda.

I will read up more and do more research. Thanks!
Dec 26, 2017, 10:16 PM
Hey! Where in GR are you located? What grumpy old man club were you trying to join? Kram, WM wolverines, warped wings? I visited a really fun, open to most anything club on the outskirts of Kent county that has EVERYThing, they have RC car track, rock crawler track, and a obstacle course for FPV quad copters, along with a great airstrip, clubhouse w/refreshments.
And a friendly group of people. Google “ Walters RC park” In Ionia, mi.
Dec 28, 2017, 06:24 PM
have a spotter when you fly fpv , now its not out of sight ..
Jan 01, 2018, 01:17 AM
KC3KNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwillFlySoon
Your TX power 0.000001 MW over the legal limit?
A watt over is a pretty significant amount.
Latest blog entry: More Fun With the Laser...
Jan 01, 2018, 12:18 PM
I'd be mad without a Taranis!
I take my fpv aircraft off from near where the grumpy old men club is. Then I fly it at the grumpy old men club. They get all sorts of crazy then, breaking their own rules about flying behind the flight line to give chase to me, flying higher than 400 ft., etc. But you can't fly your fpv aircraft FROM the grumpy old men club....
Jan 03, 2018, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwillFlySoon
Thanks for the replies. I guess some of it makes sense. I read a nice article that explained how helicopters and 3d planes got the same flak when they were new, and about how they are now mainstream, and it's the pilot, not the equip, yadda yadda.

I will read up more and do more research. Thanks!
I know of several clubs in my area and helicopters have not really become mainstream. They surged for a while but have sort of backed down. I think the cost keeps a lot of guys away from pursuing Helis.
Jan 03, 2018, 05:23 PM
Been around this hobby since a young teen and now that I'm a senior citizen, here's some solid advice. Go with the flow. In time , you'll gain their respect and trust. They're more than likely just wanting to protect what has taken many years to build up. Flying fields have always been hard to obtain(more so now due to careless behavior by multi-rotor people) and they're even harder to keep. The "grumpy old men " you refer to have spent a lot on dues and have calloused hands from working on the field and site amenities.
Nothing can crush the spirit of an older person more than losing what they've got. Consider yourself lucky that you work and have other things to occupy your day.
For some "grumpy old men", this is all they've got.
Jan 03, 2018, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rups63
I take my fpv aircraft off from near where the grumpy old men club is. Then I fly it at the grumpy old men club. They get all sorts of crazy then, breaking their own rules about flying behind the flight line to give chase to me, flying higher than 400 ft., etc. But you can't fly your fpv aircraft FROM the grumpy old men club....
You really do this?
And you can still walk?
Jan 04, 2018, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan berry
You really do this?
And you can still walk?
Spot on opinion. In my neck of the woods, some of the older guys were brought up in rough and tumble city neighborhoods and can still crack heads.
That guy wouldn't make it in the NYC region.
Jan 07, 2018, 10:56 PM
I'd be mad without a Taranis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan berry
You really do this?
And you can still walk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.imbriaco
Spot on opinion. In my neck of the woods, some of the older guys were brought up in rough and tumble city neighborhoods and can still crack heads.
That guy wouldn't make it in the NYC region.
Yup. And yup. And I can crack heads, too. I'm pretty sure I'd make it - I'm not worried that I wouldn't.
Jan 07, 2018, 11:54 PM
That's very surprising.

Quick Reply