Double walls internal structure - RC Groups
Dec 25, 2017, 07:39 AM
MULTI ENGINE FANACTIC
Help!

Double walls internal structure

Hi friends,
What is the best solution to make double walls internal structure, as we can see in 3DLab RC Models?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2018, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESARNOGUEIRA
Hi friends,
What is the best solution to make double walls internal structure, as we can see in 3DLab RC Models?
offset the mesh then extreud the pattern that you need for the model and trim it to outer and inter mesh
Jan 01, 2018, 10:42 AM
Retired CAD guy
And don't get in a hurry as it's a VERY tedious an painstaking process.
Jan 05, 2018, 11:37 AM
MULTI ENGINE FANACTIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpot
offset the mesh then extreud the pattern that you need for the model and trim it to outer and inter mesh
Do you have any indication of a video with this steps, please ?
Jan 09, 2018, 08:43 AM
it depends what you are looking for internal parts have to be connected in some way to the outer skin and not hanging in the air or when you print it will just drop in a blob on the print bed.
so before you start to draw you need to go to pencil and paper and have a quick sketch so you can see all the problems with the design that may come up in the print.
if you can use a infill on your print slicer that most of the problems can be overcome but can add a lot of weight to the finished product wich in aeromodelling we do not wont, in some cases.

if you are looking at adding structures for strength then just offset the mash say 5mm and just use infill on slicing software if you need a pasifik shape then draw the pattern on the plane that you need it and extrude it through the model and then trim it to the inside and outside mash .

if you can post a image of what you have problems with i my be able to help more.

3D print design is not easy sometimes you have to look at it from inside out i found that my background in mould making help me
Jan 09, 2018, 09:25 AM
Retired CAD guy
https://i.imgur.com/cMhVz4X.png
Jan 09, 2018, 08:43 PM
MULTI ENGINE FANACTIC
[QUOTE=birdofplay;38953819]https://i.imgur.com/cMhVz4X.png[/QUO

Hi , could you please tell how do you add hole into the internal structure, to reduce weight Tkx a lot!!!
Jan 09, 2018, 08:44 PM
MULTI ENGINE FANACTIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpot
it depends what you are looking for internal parts have to be connected in some way to the outer skin and not hanging in the air or when you print it will just drop in a blob on the print bed.
so before you start to draw you need to go to pencil and paper and have a quick sketch so you can see all the problems with the design that may come up in the print.
if you can use a infill on your print slicer that most of the problems can be overcome but can add a lot of weight to the finished product wich in aeromodelling we do not wont, in some cases.

if you are looking at adding structures for strength then just offset the mash say 5mm and just use infill on slicing software if you need a pasifik shape then draw the pattern on the plane that you need it and extrude it through the model and then trim it to the inside and outside mash .

if you can post a image of what you have problems with i my be able to help more.

3D print design is not easy sometimes you have to look at it from inside out i found that my background in mould making help me

Quite interesting method, Tkx !
Jan 09, 2018, 08:59 PM
Retired CAD guy
I borrowed that Pix form this thread ( which is also here in this forum too )
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1-J-Devastator

Um ??? certainly our CAD must have a Command for making holes, patterns, arrays ...

Failing that just intersect a cylinder surface with the plane surface and use a "split command" on the two.
Check out Unions, Difference, Boolean splits.

Learning CAD yet alone 3D CAD takes a long time and lots of practice.

Lots and lots of experiments and practice and patience.

Most CAD's also have some sort of on-line tutorials or at least Help guides for commands.
Last edited by birdofplay; Jan 09, 2018 at 09:14 PM.
Jan 09, 2018, 09:03 PM
Retired CAD guy
Dpot, since most printers are using .4mm extruders,
wouldn't an offset of ~ .4mm between those separate parts actually still leave enough squish for
wall to wall bonding ?
Jan 09, 2018, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Dpot, since most printers are using .4mm extruders,
wouldn't an offset of ~ .4mm between those separate parts actually still leave enough squish for
wall to wall bonding ?
I use .8mm clearance between interior surfaces and the outer wall. Closer than that is asking for stringing issues from excess filament not having enough room. .6mm is on the edge of being ok, but it still close enough that the outer surface quality can be affected. Further away from .8mm and you run into strength issues with parts not sticking good enough to the outer wall.
Jan 09, 2018, 10:54 PM
Retired CAD guy
Good to know ! Thanks.

What ever happened to the Race plane ?
Jan 09, 2018, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Good to know ! Thanks.

What ever happened to the Race plane ?
Got busy with apple harvest and never finished it. Don't think I will continue with it as it is either. I've learned a ton since the attempt, and plan to start over from scratch on it. Will actually save me a ton of time. Towards the end there I was doing more fighting the cad program than anything else. Now that I know how to draw stuff better, I can avoid nasty program errors.

Quick Reply