Will this work. - RC Groups
Dec 25, 2017, 03:58 AM
Help!

Will this work.

I am trying to revive a dead lipo cell.
So my setup is I will take one 2s lipo and connect it parallel with one dead cell with the help of charging pins. Will this work????????
to remove ads between posts
Dec 25, 2017, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushmit
I am trying to revive a dead lipo cell.
So my setup is I will take one 2s lipo and connect it parallel with one dead cell with the help of charging pins. Will this work????????
I tried this but got some sparks

My cell is discharged to 0.09v
Dec 25, 2017, 05:50 AM
Problem Problem zop battery Overdischarged (1 min 13 sec)
Dec 25, 2017, 07:30 AM
This happens to electrode when a lipo battery is overdischarged.
This is the irreversible chemical reaction which everyone tells about.
Dec 25, 2017, 10:22 AM
Only hope is to trickel charge it. Keep input current less than 100 mA. Won't be as good, but you may get some life back.
Dec 25, 2017, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushmit
I tried this but got some sparks

My cell is discharged to 0.09v
Not surprised you got some sparks. You connected a 2S (nominal voltage 7.4v) direct to a dead single cell? Even if the single cell had been at, say, 3.0v the 2S pack would have passed an unhealthy high current into it to try to equalise the voltages.
Dec 25, 2017, 07:19 PM
I am a nice guy! Really!
So you post a question in the middle of one of the biggest holidays in the world. A half hour later you grow impatient waiting for a response and so you try some wild scheme to fix your problem. You are lucky you did not turn one good battery and one bad battery into two bad batteries. Or start a lithium fire that is very dificult to extinguish. The damage shown in your pic's was most likely caused by your spark producing stunt. I doubt that a overdischarged cell would actually burn a hole in it's envelope.
Latest blog entry: A123 battery source
Dec 26, 2017, 10:52 AM
So the answer to your post is ......NO
Jan 01, 2018, 10:49 AM
Friend of mine used to take packs apart and try to recover a bad cell or replace it with cells from another battery that was in the days when lipo's were lot more expensive a battery like yours might be $80. He had successes with that reality is each cell is an independent battery wired in series Now days just buy a new one not worry about it I left a BEC connected to a 4S pack a few weeks ago I was using for adjusting servos and it got over discharged not able to recover those cells with nicad charge to the main connector.
Jan 01, 2018, 06:45 PM
Lipos are cheap enough these days that it's not worth fooling with a damaged or over discharged one. I cut the leads off after discharging them and solder a wire across the output connection before discarding. I do remember paying $80 for a 2100 3S Lipo when they first became available from Thunderpower. No balance leads, 10C at very best. But boy did they beat the NiMh packs we were trying to fly electrics with!

Quick Reply