Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 25, 2017, 01:44 AM
Discussion

On/Off switch for ESC possible?

Hello,

I bought this ESC and motor:

https://hobbyking.com/de_de/turnigy-...ontroller.html
https://hobbyking.com/de_de/turnigy-...ner-motor.html

I noticed that the ESC does not have an On/Off switch, so i think il will turn on when i plug my batterie in right?
My question is if there is a way to put an On/Off switch on the ESC?

Thanks!
Philipp
to remove ads between posts
Dec 25, 2017, 02:28 AM
Correct, plugging in the battery powers the ESC, and thus through the ESC BEC, the receiver and servos. So your transmitter should always be powered on with the throttle at idel before connecting the battery.

I doubt it is feasible or even useful with the Plush 60 to try to introduce an on/off switch as the ESC self powers internally from the motor battery and is already designed to not arm the motor control unless it sees a zero throttle signal from the receiver.

It's actually fairly rare to find an ESC with a BEC with its own on/off switch - most rely like the Plush series on the ESC arming logic and use the battery plugs as the master on/off.

Possibly just as effective as an on/off switch on the ESC is to use a motor cut switch on your transmitter, that overrides the throttle stick to provide a continuous zero throttle signal.

You could also considering insert an arming plug into the battery - ESC power circuit to allow completion of the power circuit from outside the model.
Dec 25, 2017, 02:45 AM
Thanks Scirocco for your fast answer.
Can you tell or show me that "Arming plug" for the batterie? I am from Germany and my english ist not 100% perfect. (Somethimes hard to understand everything 100%).

Thanks
Philipp

P.s. What about a switch between the ESC and the receiver, dows that work?
Dec 25, 2017, 03:56 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph1lloops
... I am from Germany and my english ist not 100% perfect. ...
www.rc-network.de forum
www.rclineforum.de

You do know that e-flight started in Germany, some odd 50years ago (Fred Militky, RC and manned)? (and jet-turbines, Kurt Schreckling, and helicopters, a.o. Dieter Schlüter).

Quote:
... P.s. What about a switch between the ESC and the receiver, dows that work? ...
Not necessary, and an extra point of failure.
After a days flying you must disconnect batteries because your ESC always draws some little current. Otherwise you might ruin your batteries.

Given your basic questions, I'm assuming you are an e-flight beginner.
Some well-structured reading and handy e-tools for rainy/windy days.
Will save you, and us a lot of questions. Notably the 'what went wrong?' kind of questions
Will also prevent you from burning up several controllers and/or motors and/or battery:
E-flight primer and tools

And please, do your RC equipment, wallet, ego, battery, controller, motor, house/garage/car a big favour ... get a watt-meter. It will more than pay for itself, will save you at least one fried motor and one fried controller. Will also help you finding the best setup.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Dec 25, 2017 at 10:28 AM.
Dec 25, 2017, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Can you tell or show me that "Arming plug" for the batterie? I am from Germany and my english ist not 100% perfect. (Somethimes hard to understand everything 100%).

Thanks
Philipp

An arming circuit allows power to be applied from battery to ESC by inserting a plug somewhere on the outside of the model after the model is fully assembled and battery access closed.

Hopefully a picture or two is worth many words: Take a look at these links - one a typical schematic and one a picture of a premade harness
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=6133622
https://www.rcdude.com/product-p/6996.htm

IMO a switch between the ESC and receiver could actually be a step backwards in safety when used with an ESC like the Plush 60 that is not designed with it in mind.

The problem is that if you power the model up with the switch turned OFF, having the motor not start relies only on the ESC not arming without seeing a zero throttle signal from the receiver. That is a highly reliable safety feature of ESCs. However , when powered up without a switch or the switch ON, you have both the arming logic AND - presuming you follow sound procedure and ensure transmitter is on and the throttle is at zero before connecting power - the receiver is commanding zero power to the ESC.

Powering up with a switch between ESC and receiver turned OFF works out to be practically the same as powering up with the transmitter turned off.

Powering up with the switch turned ON is IMO better practise, so you might as well eliminate the switch and its plugs as points of failure, as Ron pointed out

It could help if you were more specific about your actual concern. Is it that you are used to a switch to connect the receiver battery to the receiver in a glow powered model and feel the same should apply in an electric system? Or a setup where the battery has to be connected before fitting the wing.
Dec 27, 2017, 03:38 AM
This question come up quite often as can be seen by the similar threads below. The one issue not mentioned yet is that the LVC feature of most ESCs assumes a fully charged battery when power is applied. If you have a switch you will invariably be tempted to switch it off with a half used battery and then switch it back on a little later for a second flight. Except now the LVC will be too low to save the lipo from over-discharge.
Dec 27, 2017, 11:04 AM
Never too old to learn
As stated above using an arming switch and/or use throttle cut on your tx if so equipped
I know on my spectrum radio if the throttle stick is not all the way down the receiver will not bind with the tx which is a good reminder that your throttle is above idle.
Also make sure your failsafe is set so the throttle is at idle if you lose signal from the tx to receiver or if you forget to turn off the tx and leave the receiver on.

Tom
Dec 27, 2017, 12:16 PM
Jack
Quote:

Thanks
Philipp

Scroll down to the Arming Switch section on this page and you can see some of them.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html

But note that, almost without exception, when you don't arm the ESC and power up the entire system simultaneously it will require the use of a second battery or connecting the items you want to power up without having the ESC powered up connected to the battery in front of the arming switch. And it wil require a moderate amount of concentration and checking to make sure what is and is not being powered up when you connect the battery to the ESC.

There is a lot to be said for the simplicity and inherent safety of a single connection powering all parts (ESC, RX, throttle channel on RX, etc.) orf the system up with a single action.

Jack
Jan 02, 2018, 04:44 AM
NiCad Abuser
I agree with all of the above, it is pointless and counterproductive, having said that if you still really want one, most car ESCs come with a switch for some reason.

Quick Reply