Jan 10, 2018, 08:42 PM
I found an RC4WD 1/18 Gelande ii chassis for $12 and bought it. Itís significantly shorter but Iím hoping I can make it work. Too cheap to pass up since it has the shock hoops and all the braces. Itís likely too narrow but shouldnít be complicated to widen. The length will lend towards a full on truggy rear, too. Iíll see when it all shows up.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2018, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBlackVenom
Hear anything about metal/better axles or gearboxes?
Fair bit of upgrade stuff on Taobao which should hopefully make it's way too the English language sites before long.

Expensive full metal diffs/axles:
http://m.tb.cn/h.ZaKnfyv?cv=ksP7GM2FTY&sm=fb3efc

Metal sliding drive shafts and universal joints:
http://e22a.com/h.CduTTZ?cv=S3KcGOJKtf&sm=159da2
Jan 11, 2018, 06:34 PM
Oh wow! The kit tires are ridiculously softer than the rtr... seriously, I'm amazed and annoyed I didn't order a kit b-1 prior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight
I found an RC4WD 1/18 Gelande ii chassis for $12 and bought it. Itís significantly shorter but Iím hoping I can make it work. Too cheap to pass up since it has the shock hoops and all the braces. Itís likely too narrow but shouldnít be complicated to widen. The length will lend towards a full on truggy rear, too. Iíll see when it all shows up.
Are you putting the c14 body on the gelande chassis? That's not a bad deal for the chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craym0nk
Fair bit of upgrade stuff on Taobao which should hopefully make it's way too the English language sites before long.

Expensive full metal diffs/axles:
http://m.tb.cn/h.ZaKnfyv?cv=ksP7GM2FTY&sm=fb3efc

Metal sliding drive shafts and universal joints:
http://e22a.com/h.CduTTZ?cv=S3KcGOJKtf&sm=159da2
Ooooh those diffs need to make their way to an int'l shipping site! Thanks for the link! Now I wait. lol
Jan 11, 2018, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Oh wow! The kit tires are ridiculously softer than the rtr... seriously, I'm amazed and annoyed I didn't order a kit b-1 prior.

Are you putting the c14 body on the gelande chassis? That's not a bad deal for the chassis.
I hope itíll work. The axles I want to use will require larger end links like some Traxxas Revo. The axles will need a bigger and stronger tranny, too. Hence the transfer case and planetary. Hoping to tuck out of sight and still have a decent battery.

Quote:

Ooooh those diffs need to make their way to an int'l shipping site! Thanks for the link! Now I wait. lol

Yes. These would be nice in the B-1 and B-24. Iím looking into the new RC4WD 1/18 tranny just released. Itíd be a nice upgrade if you didnít want to go the twin motors route.
Jan 13, 2018, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight
I hope itíll work. The axles I want to use will require larger end links like some Traxxas Revo. The axles will need a bigger and stronger tranny, too. Hence the transfer case and planetary. Hoping to tuck out of sight and still have a decent battery.

Yes. These would be nice in the B-1 and B-24. Iím looking into the new RC4WD 1/18 tranny just released. Itíd be a nice upgrade if you didnít want to go the twin motors route.
You're going with the Losi trail trekker axles, right? Those will definitely handle more power. The twin motor set up definitely makes it simpler, but just feels wrong . I'm looking at building a divorced set up for the C14.... it'll definitely be a tight fit.
Jan 13, 2018, 05:59 PM
Not the 1/24 Trekker axles but the 1:18 Mini axles.
Jan 13, 2018, 07:17 PM
Iím hoping for something like this but scaled down and a little more...scale. But I think these 1/18 axles wonít be as wide as these are on this 1/10 TrailFinder.

Jan 14, 2018, 10:13 PM
What do those axles measure out to?
Jan 14, 2018, 11:01 PM
Those axles above look to be SCX10 axles with some extenders added, too. That body is likely the RC4WD TF2 body and not the Tamiya. Thatís a one off tube chassis and the body has been cut quite a lot as it barely resembles the Hilux.

Iím hoping to keep the grille and fenders intact as well as the bed. Ideally Iíll make the frame width adjustments if I can get the wheelbase right using the 1/18 Gelande chassis. If not then Iíll be scratching something together. The Losi axles are approximately 140mm hex to hex. Given the width of the WPL axles around 125-130mm it should stance out similar. The Losi axles use 12mm hex which opens another can of worms for wheels size and tire size. I really want it as scale as can be even though it will have massive axles. So Iíll be needing some 1.55 wheels and tires. I have the set from my Yeti Jr I can put on at first but Iíd like something more aggressive before I call it finished. Wheel speed isnít too important as long as itíll go where I point it. Iíve got a guy at work that is willing to 3D print whatever I want as well as change scaling size. So I can do things like fire extinguishers, propane bottles, and such as that. Heís also hoping for a 3D scanner soon and if he gets that then itís fun time for me, too.

Sorry for the long winded post. Hereís a few more potentially critical pics I lifted from another website.

Wheelbase

4 link setup

Body width. I donít know how accurate the other end of the tape is, but judging from the one above it, itís close.

Shock length was a reportedly 2 ĹĒ total length but .5Ē of travel plus about ⅛Ē of just play.

...aaaand the body off for a peek underneath.
Jan 15, 2018, 07:02 PM
Those axles should put you at ~170mm with tires. Not too far out and you could save some with wheel backspacing. Stock tranny really can't push 90mm+ wheels for ship. Even with my B-1's OP motor and lowered gearing it's pretty lackluster. IMHO stick close to factory.

Shocks are ~62mm, mount to chassis at about ~42mm, and have 11.5mm (~1/2") of compression.

Body measurement looks accurate ~4 7/8" or ~125mm.

If you need any pics/measurements, I'm happy to post it - the kit is sitting chassis+suspension+axles at the moment.

I've been bashing the rtr in the snow and it does surprisingly well - doesn't stop in snow deep enough for the trans to be drawing a line. Just peeled the prototype trans off the printer. This body will prove hard to manage a divorced set up - very little wiggle room.
Jan 15, 2018, 07:30 PM
Ebay is selling these for 10 dollars free shipping.just ordered the red one and yellow one
Jan 15, 2018, 07:38 PM
Good deal. I think I have the power covered. Would you measure the length of the chassis and the distance between shock mounting points?
Jan 15, 2018, 07:43 PM
All of my metric tools top out at ~150mm

frame: 10 1/16"

shocks: 6 7/8"
Jan 15, 2018, 09:26 PM
Quote:
All of my metric tools top out at ~150mm

frame: 10 1/16"

shocks: 6 7/8"

Thanks.
Jan 16, 2018, 11:43 AM

WPL C14 RTR Version 1/16 Scale 4WD Truck Test Drive Review

I just got one from GearBest. It is a good looking 4WD RC rock crawler truck and includes detailed components and LED headlights.

and here is its test drive
WPL C14 1/16 Scale 4WD Truck Test Drive Review (13 min 18 sec)

Pros
- Very good looking semi-scale truck with many details.
- Single brushless motor powers all wheels through universal driveshaft. Motor is placed reasonably high to minimize dirt or water impact.
- Tires provide good traction. Reasonably good rock crawler for the price.

Cons
- Not proportional steering in RTR version. But at this trucks driving speed, it doesn't matter much.
- RTR version comes with NiCAD battery. Gives good driving time, but charging can take up to two hours.

Quick Reply