Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 23, 2018, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo328
But the roster lists 25. Did someone drop out ?
Efrain opted not to fly for a few reasons. But he'll be there helping run the show
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2018, 06:20 PM
Remember, folks, the golf course and driving range are a no fly zone. A couple of you were flying over this morning.
Aug 25, 2018, 01:37 PM
a.k.a VintageFan
Any report on conditions etc.

For some reason Gliderscore is showing flight scores but overall scores are not updating.

Good luck to all

Frank
Aug 25, 2018, 02:04 PM
Frank:

Conditions appear SUPER! I predict a whole pea-pot full of maxed-out rounds. Skies are currently clear, but with huge build-up to the North and West. I mean huge, as in the anvils look like the Mothership of the Galaxy, coming to take us all home.

I can't be there myself, being laid up, but everything I heard was progressing in a satisfactory manner: meaning lots of flying, lots of lift, score system working. I will be getting an earful tonight, at the 2018 Buzz Averill Memorial Taco Bar and Beer Fest.

Yours, Greg
Aug 25, 2018, 06:47 PM

Day 1 Completed

We completed seven rounds before shutting down due to an approaching T-storm. Morning was relatively calm, with winds increasing in the afternoon approaching 10-15 mph. Some great flying, as always. I've posted today's results in pdf form. (I will defer to the pilots for their more colorful descriptions of the action since I was mostly buried in the scoring computer)

Results should also be available at GliderScore.com, I apologize for not having 'real-time' results, as there was a button I neglected to push!!!
Regards, Richard the CD
Last edited by rnshagam; Aug 25, 2018 at 06:52 PM.
Aug 25, 2018, 10:50 PM
At the party tonight, I got an earful from a number of pilots.

Apparently (I wasn't able to be present), conditions turned out to be very challenging. I am glad, because that's what brings out the real champions. The top three (Skyler, Skip and John, I believe) really earned their ranking.

I hope things continue tomorrow in the same vein.

Yours, Greg
Aug 26, 2018, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFan

For some reason Gliderscore is showing flight scores but overall scores are not updating.

Good luck to all

Frank
Thanks, Frank. I'll try to do a better job of pushing the upload button in the eScore module in GliderScore so folks out in the world can track us more closely.
Lots of things to do when running a competition.
We are looking forward to another great day. Finishing the preliminaries in the morning--flyoff after lunch.
Richard
Aug 26, 2018, 07:20 AM
Sonoran Laser Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFan

Good luck to all

Frank
In the afternoon the wind cycled from somewhat calm to strong constantly. There was a lot of playing with balast but you could not be certain what wind you were going get in your heat. Some heats were short with 1-3 of best left battling it out. Strong lift was hard to find and one mistake and you were in big wide sink. Turning down wind in most cases was instant death if you were not in a thermal and decided to go looking down wind. Most pilots with good flights, skill, and vision ran out so far to find something I could barely see their planes and I could not see good enough to go that far. We saw birds once in awhile but if they circled they moved out quick. You would see them circle a few times then the next thing you knew they were so far away you couldn't hardly see them.

I can't speak for all but it certainly challenged me. With that said it sure was fun flying with this great group of people and seeing some spectacular flying and talent. Ohh and lunch was awesome, and so was the party last night.

The good thing so far besides one radio issue is there wasn't any mid airs or carnage that I am aware of. Lane spacing was good and there wasn't any reckless driving.

Every plane was molded except two that qualified as Woody. The other Woody pilot swapped out for a heavier plane in the afternoon.

Now back today for more fun, and schooling
Last edited by CloudSniffer; Aug 26, 2018 at 07:28 AM.
Aug 26, 2018, 09:56 AM
Those of you who missed the party Saturday evening missed a whale of a good time, and good food, and good beer.

Many thanks to Deb and Terry for opening their fine home to a bunch of glider guiders.

Yours, Greg
Aug 26, 2018, 04:33 PM
Overkill is underrated
To Deb and Terry, and the many other wonderful ladies that made your gathering precedent setting, your combined gracious hospitality was so welcoming. Jennifer and I enjoyed a very special evening among not just pilots but friends. Thank you so much.
Regards, Ed and Jennifer LaCroix
Aug 26, 2018, 05:22 PM
Results are in:
Congratulations to Skip Miller, who won the flyoff. He beat out his nearest competitor, Toby Herrera, by a whisper thin margin of less than A TENTH OF A POINT!!! (Go to gliderscore.com and do the math, yourselves--All results have been posted there)

And to Skyler Raver, who came in third in the flyoff and first in the preliminary round. Great going, Skyler!!!

Very 'friendly' conditions today, with mostly light winds, clear skies, and plenty of lift. No major incidents to report except for Lenny Keer, who sadly lost one of his planes on Saturday in a flyaway. We hope it will turn up sometime.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this great event. The piloting was spectacular, and all of our volunteers were wonderful, especially the bringers of food. Also, thanks to our sponsors, CarCrafters of Albuquerque, FlightComp of Huntington Beach, CA, and Sonoran Laser Art of Fountain Hills, AZ , who contributed cash towards the field rental, prizes, and trophies (in that order).

Hopefully, we'll have some pictures to post soon.

In November, we will be hosting our 2nd F3RES International Competition. Hope you can make it out to that one, too. Watch our club website soarabq.org for info soon.

Regards, Richard the CD
Last edited by rnshagam; Aug 26, 2018 at 06:15 PM.
Aug 26, 2018, 06:36 PM
Well done ASA for a fine contest in Buzz's memory

Today was still challenging conditions, often needing to find 2 or more thermals to complete the 10 minute task. The difference to yesterday for me was that us 'lesser lights' had a bit more chance of predicting where lift was and we could fly downwind , if needed, and get back to the landing spot.

Philip
Supra wing on Topaz fuselage
Aug 26, 2018, 06:45 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thank you very much to the Alubquerque team for their hard work hosting such a wonderful event at the Fiesta Balloon Park. Everything went very smoothly and it was extremely well organized. The lunches were fantastic and the evening hosted at Terry and Debs could not be beat. Opening your home and putting together an unbelievable spread of food and beverages for all us out of towners was very much appreciated.

Ohh, and yes the conditions were near perfect today. Light winds, lift to be found, and another day of great flying. I have to also comment on the great group flying, I really enjoyed flying, handing out, joking around. It felt like a big happy family.

I can hardly wait for F3RES in November in Albuquerque, this group is first class!!!
Aug 27, 2018, 08:48 AM

2018 BAM Scores

Posted here, in pdf format, are the preliminary and flyoff overall results and round scores.
If there are any sailplane sabermetrists out there, I'll be happy to post the .csv files
Regards, Richard

Quick Reply