Taranis Q x7 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 23, 2017, 07:01 PM
Mini-Review

Taranis Q x7

Product link = https://goo.gl/A7Vehj ( Sponsor / affiliate link )
Use this link if you hate supporting sponsors ( of reviews ) = https://www.banggood.com/search/taranis-q-x7.html

Transmitters I have owned :

1980's
Sanwa 2ch
Futaba 2ch
JR FM 5ch

1990's
Futaba 7ch FM

2010 onward
Flysky 6ch PC programmed x2
9x x3 Flysky and Turnigy
7ch ( I forget the brand computer Tx )
Turnigy 9XR
Turnigy 9XR pro
Devo 7e
Turnigy i10 x2

And all those cheap controllers ... + XK transmitters

Anyhow , I have owned and still own a few transmitters from the lower end of the $$ spectrum . Recently the opportunity became available to own the Taranis Q x7 which has been on my to own list for quite a long time .

I think its fair to say this is quite probably the most plush feeling transmitter I have ever owned . For some strange reason some actually complain about the gimbals (?) , I don't get it . On my transmitter they are simply superb , butter smooth and precise .
The very first thing I did on receiving my Q x7 was to see what battery solutions people had come up with to avoid using AA batteries . I personally find that NIMH batteries drop voltage too quickly so there for decided to seek another solution . There were a lot of interesting solutions on Youtube and unfortunately I found many of them to be problematic rather than viable solutions for me .

I went with a modified battery carrier and two 18650 ( I have a good collection of 18650 on hand ) , since I had the parts on hand I was able to implement my solution immediately . ( So far I am happy with it ) I did post it on this blog . https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0-battery-tray

Back to the Q x7 :
I find that OpenTx is rather easy to work with , after what I would call a short familiarity time period . It's really not that challenging and if you do run into complications ( mixing and such ) there are a lot of tutorials on Youtube . I am not sure why there are so many 3 position switches ? , obviously people must want 3 position switches . There is only one 2 position switch on the transmitter ( top left ) and I would really have liked to have seen another . 3 position switches are so easy to get wrong , especially under stress ( launching a DLG ) . I guess its one of those personal things and problems can be avoided from some careful programming .

Over all I am seriously impressed and I think people are getting incredible value for money from the Q x7 . Dont be afraid of OpenTx . Jump on in because the water is fine . I held off buying one because of the negativity I read and that was a mistake . I am not sure if some of the people who posted negative stuff about the Q x7 actually owned the transmitter or if they were simply being Trolls (?) . For the money the Q x7 is being sold for I just don't know that you could buy a better transmitter (?) .

One of the more common complaints I have read is regarding , Pinched VS Thumbs flying .
People seem to be complaining about the position of switches when flying pinched and I don't see it . What I did notice is that for pinched flying the sticks might be a little on the short side , as at the extremes of stick throw I was hitting ( touching ) the transmitter body with my fingers .

So there might be some validity to the suggestion that the Q x7 is a Thumbs Transmitter .. Even the rubber grips built into the back of the Tx sort of make the pinch method more difficult , but make thumb flying easy .
Is there going to be a replacement for those grips ? To thin the transmitter and make pinch flying easier ? ( Longer Gimbals sticks perhaps )

Anyhow , I am a thumb flyer and the Q x7 works a treat . I have no issues what so ever , the Tx feels great in my hands .
This is one product I am seriously happy I purchased and in 2018 I may begin to lighten my Transmitter load . I really need to get down to about 3 transmitters .. ( 2 would be better but 3 is realistic )

I rate the Taranis Q x7 two thumbs up .. ( To date this is simply the best Tx I have owned - Plush )
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply