Suspended Account
Discussion

Drugs by drone

It had to happen sooner or later.

http://abc7.com/alleged-drugs-by-dro...rside/2814765/
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2017, 04:53 PM
I think it's time to fly.
Sure sounds like a real inconspicuous way to do it.
Latest blog entry: All things that fly.
Dec 23, 2017, 06:16 PM
KAVANAUGH 2024
Sounds like a good excuse for over zealous cops to use to initiate warrants.
Dec 23, 2017, 06:36 PM
It was reported MANY years ago (circa 1960's/70's) that some folks were smuggling drugs into the UK via Telemaster type models. A guy would take off from France and point the model towards the UK. He'd then turn off his radio. On the UK shore, a guy with the same frequency transmitter would wait until his buddies saw the model through binoculars. He'd then switch on and bring the model to a landing. All done decades ago.

Point is that it's been done for a long time. Modern drones just make it easier.

CD
Dec 23, 2017, 06:56 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
It was reported MANY years ago (circa 1960's/70's) that some folks were smuggling drugs into the UK via Telemaster type models. A guy would take off from France and point the model towards the UK. He'd then turn off his radio. On the UK shore, a guy with the same frequency transmitter would wait until his buddies saw the model through binoculars. He'd then switch on and bring the model to a landing. All done decades ago.

Point is that it's been done for a long time. Modern drones just make it easier.

CD
Sorry, not possible. Those old AM and FM radios would not hold the surfaces neutral when the TX was turned off.
Dec 23, 2017, 07:05 PM
DJO
DJO
"Yo, that's a thermal"
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXF3BMAN
Sorry, not possible. Those old AM and FM radios would not hold the surfaces neutral when the TX was turned off.
Completely possible, I remember hearing about that same story. I think it was a little bit more recent by a few decades than the 60s/70s but may be wrong. I'd have to do some digging to actually find the facts around it.

I remember a few years ago even there was a hexacopter that smuggled drugs over the southern border. It's nothing new and has been done before.
Dec 23, 2017, 07:07 PM
I think it's time to fly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel

CD
Now that's a lot better thought out than flying a noisy drone a few feet expecting no one will notice.
Latest blog entry: All things that fly.
Dec 23, 2017, 08:51 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO
Completely possible, I remember hearing about that same story. I think it was a little bit more recent by a few decades than the 60s/70s but may be wrong. I'd have to do some digging to actually find the facts around it.

I remember a few years ago even there was a hexacopter that smuggled drugs over the southern border. It's nothing new and has been done before.
Have you actually tried turning off the TX on one of the older radios and seen what happens? The servos don't just sit there, they wander and will eventually end up at max throw.
Dec 23, 2017, 09:02 PM
DJO
DJO
"Yo, that's a thermal"
Quote:
Have you actually tried turning off the TX on one of the older radios and seen what happens? The servos don't just sit there, they wander and will eventually end up at max throw.
I used to have a 72 MHz Hitec and it would not do the same thing. So yes, I have. Like I said, I think this was a little more recent than stated so the radio was probably a bit newer than you think. Even so, the point is that drugs can be smuggled easily with drones.
Dec 23, 2017, 09:15 PM
Suspended Account
You had a narrow band set. The original claim was long enough ago that the radios were of the wide band variety, not quite the same thing.

The point is however is that we have an increasing number of morons with drones making us all look badly.
Dec 24, 2017, 05:49 AM
I may be off on exactly what decade it was. IIRC, the article specified a Telemaster (which was designed to fly cable leads across valleys -- Telemasters were in Hobby Lobby's catalogue by 1975/76), so how long have they been around? As to the servos not going to neutral, I do recall having one (Futaba) circa 1990, when the technology wasn't new. So, it may have been more recent than the 60's/70's, but it was still long before quad-copter type drones came about.

The point is that greedy folks will find a way to use any technology for making illicit money, just as militaries will find a way to make any technology into a weapon.

CD
Dec 29, 2017, 05:11 PM
Electric Coolhunter
There was a case of drug smuggling over the Texas-Mexico border via RC airplane back in the 80s or thereabouts. 72mhz radios. If I recall correctly, the takeoff point and landing point were not that far apart.

With two way radios, it would be trivial to coordinate turning off one TX as you get to the limits of range and turning on the other TX at the destination..

Our club did a little cross country RC flying back in the late 1970s including a "race" from Fort Worth to Waco and we experimented with turning off one TX and the turning on a second identical RC TX while the aircraft was airborne. Zero issues, even with a short delay.

Back then I would occasionally turn off my TX when flying a sailplane or old timer and fly some virtual "free flight" for periods of several minutes. No issues with servos moving.

I had RC radio repair veteran Ted White carefully tune two of my EK Logictrol transmitters and four RX units on 72.400 so that each TX would work well with all four RX units. I used both TXs on longer cross country flights. Multiple RX units for a TX and duplicate identical TX units was a MUCH bigger deal in the late 1970s that it was in the 1990s and later.
Latest blog entry: Event planning for 2018
Dec 29, 2017, 06:02 PM
Old Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
There was a case of drug smuggling over the Texas-Mexico border via RC airplane back in the 80s or thereabouts. 72mhz radios. If I recall correctly, the takeoff point and landing point were not that far apart.

With two way radios, it would be trivial to coordinate turning off one TX as you get to the limits of range and turning on the other TX at the destination..

Our club did a little cross country RC flying back in the late 1970s including a "race" from Fort Worth to Waco and we experimented with turning off one TX and the turning on a second identical RC TX while the aircraft was airborne. Zero issues, even with a short delay.

Back then I would occasionally turn off my TX when flying a sailplane or old timer and fly some virtual "free flight" for periods of several minutes. No issues with servos moving.

I had RC radio repair veteran Ted White carefully tune two of my EK Logictrol transmitters and four RX units on 72.400 so that each TX would work well with all four RX units. I used both TXs on longer cross country flights. Multiple RX units for a TX and duplicate identical TX units was a MUCH bigger deal in the late 1970s that it was in the 1990s and later.
I also have flown some cross country RC races on 72mhz . When the model got within visual distance of the next flyer (pilot) we would pull up abruptly and turn off our transmitter. The other would then take control. Never had a problem.
Jan 03, 2018, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Maybe yours did not but my old Pro Line did. Found out the hard way when the transmitter died and the plane flew straight and level and never seen again. It was an Ugly Stick. Years later when getting back to the hobby I was asking what plane I should buy since I had experience, just very rusty. I considered a 40 sized Big Stick. Old guy said I should not because they were not stable enough! LOL I bought the Big Stick and it was plenty stable and almost crashed it. But that is because I was using mode 2 when I used to use Mode 1. Even years later I would pull back on elevator instead of throttle and visa versa. Switched modes and it was like I never quit.
Jan 03, 2018, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Cheap radios did that. But good radios only did that if there was some interference which AM did not do as well filtering out.

Quick Reply