AMA Financial Transparency - Flying Site Grants vs. Other Expenses - RC Groups
Dec 23, 2017, 11:36 AM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Discussion

AMA Financial Transparency - Flying Site Grants vs. Other Expenses

Flying site grants have a direct impact on the quality of fields where the "unwashed masses" of AMA members actually fly. In 2015, AMA said they spent $30,000 on flying site grants (note 1).

A wise man once told me that the way an organization spends its money is a direct indicator of its priorities. So keeping in mind that $30,000 spent to improve where the majority of us fly, note the attached chart, and realize that AMA spent:
  • 4.3 times more on travel
  • 6.2 times more on office expenses
  • 8.9 times more on conferences and meetings
  • 9.8 times more on salaries for 3 individuals
Note 1: http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/fly...ers-announced/
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2017, 12:29 PM
Suspended Account
Interesting info there!
Dec 23, 2017, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
Flying site grants have a direct impact on the quality of fields where the "unwashed masses" of AMA members actually fly. In 2015, AMA said they spent $30,000 on flying site grants (note 1).

A wise man once told me that the way an organization spends its money is a direct indicator of its priorities. So keeping in mind that $30,000 spent to improve where the majority of us fly, note the attached chart, and realize that AMA spent:
  • 4.3 times more on travel
  • 6.2 times more on office expenses
  • 8.9 times more on conferences and meetings
  • 9.8 times more on salaries for 3 individuals
Note 1: http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/fly...ers-announced/
All very interesting and insightful. I wonder how many members it would take to question such spending practices before the AMA would take notice and make changes? I can well imagine that the 3 individuals receiving those salaries mentioned would very much like to keep things exactly as they are.
Dec 23, 2017, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmors
All very interesting and insightful. I wonder how many members it would take to question such spending practices before the AMA would take notice and make changes? I can well imagine that the 3 individuals receiving those salaries mentioned would very much like to keep things exactly as they are.
What's worse is that despite declining total revenue, the amount they're spending on people has remained constant. Furthermore, the executive compensation as a percent of all AMA salaries has more than doubled. See two charts below.

If the EC isn't happy that I'm publishing this information, they've got nobody to blame but themselves. All the information is from public documents, documents they have to make available under US tax law. If they think this information looks bad, maybe they should change their spending behavior instead of blaming the guy that dug it out.

Better yet, it sure would help if we, the members, start holding them accountable for how they're spending OUR money.
Last edited by franklin_m; Dec 23, 2017 at 04:44 PM.
Dec 23, 2017, 05:30 PM
Quote:
What's worse is that despite declining total revenue, the amount they're spending on people has remained constant. Furthermore, the executive compensation as a percent of all AMA salaries has more than doubled. See two charts below.

If the EC isn't happy that I'm publishing this information, they've got nobody to blame but themselves. All the information is from public documents, documents they have to make available under US tax law. If they think this information looks bad, maybe they should change their spending behavior instead of blaming the guy that dug it out.

Better yet, it sure would help if we, the members, start holding them accountable for how they're spending OUR money.
You would think that they would be aware of what was being said on these forums. Of course even if they were reading this there is really likely to be no acceptable explanation for these facts. I would be more than willing to join in on a movement to express displeasure in how OUR organization is spending OUR money. Though I have to wonder lately... is it really OUR organization any longer? Not seeing where many of the moves made by the AMA recently are for the benefit of the hobby as much as they are for the benefit of the AMA.
Dec 23, 2017, 06:04 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Did a little research and the average salary for those 3 comes in at the high side of average for Non Profits nation wide. However, they're above the range for Non Profits in the Muncie area.
Dec 23, 2017, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
Did a little research and the average salary for those 3 comes in at the high side of average for Non Profits nation wide. However, they're above the range for Non Profits in the Muncie area.
Last time I checked, the ED is in the top 1% of all salaries in Muncie, and in the top 5% of all salaries state wide.
Dec 24, 2017, 08:11 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Last time I checked, the ED is in the top 1% of all salaries in Muncie, and in the top 5% of all salaries state wide.
Non Profits always have been rather lucrative for the top dogs.
Dec 24, 2017, 08:23 AM
Quote:
You would think that they would be aware of what was being said on these forums. Of course even if they were reading this there is really likely to be no acceptable explanation for these facts. I would be more than willing to join in on a movement to express displeasure in how OUR organization is spending OUR money. Though I have to wonder lately... is it really OUR organization any longer? Not seeing where many of the moves made by the AMA recently are for the benefit of the hobby as much as they are for the benefit of the AMA.
It starts by contact your EC rep and letting them know, in no uncertain terms, that you're not happy with how they're spending our money. If you think they should be spending more on local fields, say so. If you think they should spend less on "Taj-Muncie" and that museum, then tell them. If you think they need to address some of the charts I've made, then tell them.

It's our organization.
Dec 24, 2017, 10:28 AM
AVP, District IV
Quote:
Here, in descending order, are the top salaries for Ball State University from our newest database.

Geoffrey Mearns, President, $450,000
Michael Neu, Head Football Coach, $431,375
James Whitford, Head Basketball Coach - Men, $296,083
Bernard Hannon, Vice President for Business Affairs/Treasurer, $280,404
Vera Bales, Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment, $272,687
Marilyn Buck, Interim Provost and Interim Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs, $265,202
Philip Repp, Dean of CAP, $257,457
Cheri' O'Neill, President and CEO of BSU Foundation, $255,250
Mark Sandy, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, $249,900
Michael Goldsby, Chief Entrepreneurship Officer and Executive Director of the John H. Schnatter Institute for Entrepreneurship and Free Enterprise, $242,961
Dec 24, 2017, 11:24 AM

AMA Financial Transparency - Flying Site Grants vs. Other Expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyK
Here, in descending order, are the top salaries for Ball State University from our newest database.

Geoffrey Mearns, President, $450,000

Michael Neu, Head Football Coach, $431,375

James Whitford, Head Basketball Coach - Men, $296,083

Bernard Hannon, Vice President for Business Affairs/Treasurer, $280,404

Vera Bales, Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment, $272,687

Marilyn Buck, Interim Provost and Interim Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs, $265,202

Philip Repp, Dean of CAP, $257,457

Cheri' O'Neill, President and CEO of BSU Foundation, $255,250

Mark Sandy, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, $249,900

Michael Goldsby, Chief Entrepreneurship Officer and Executive Director of the John H. Schnatter Institute for Entrepreneurship and Free Enterprise, $242,961

So? I’m sure they’re in the same top 1% / 5% too. Regardless, not sure what is the significance of this info. Ball State is not AMA.

That said, those individuals manage $192 million endowment, over 700 acres, and over 100 buildings. Not to mention a sizeable staff ... all much larger and arguably more important than what the executives at AMA are responsible for. What’s AMA’s total assets? Maybe $15 mil? And the director gets what, $130K? Compared that to Ball State. Just the endowment is over 10 times that AMA’s total assets, and the President gets what, maybe 4 times more than the AMA ED? And I’ll bet Ball State’s major source of revenue doesn’t look like this:
Last edited by franklin_m; Dec 24, 2017 at 11:35 AM.
Dec 24, 2017, 11:40 AM
AVP, District IV
Quote:
So? I’m sure they’re in the same top 1% / 5% too. Regardless, not sure what is the significance of this info. Ball State is not AMA.
Your the one that started the numbers game. You opened the door by comparing Local and state numbers to AMA.

I showed you hard numbers. Please support your 1% / 5%. What information did you use to determine those numbers?

RustyK
AVP, D-IV
Dec 24, 2017, 12:27 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:

Maybe it says that the AMA needs a football team and Alumni Association?
Dec 24, 2017, 12:30 PM
AVP, District IV
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk001
maybe it says that the ama needs a football team and alumni association? :d

lol
Dec 24, 2017, 01:10 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyK
Your the one that started the numbers game. You opened the door by comparing Local and state numbers to AMA.

I showed you hard numbers. Please support your 1% / 5%. What information did you use to determine those numbers?

RustyK
AVP, D-IV
Ah yes!

And I'm sure that when Geoffrey Mearns was negotiating for his position as Ball State University President, he pointed out the Compensation of the AMA staff as justification for what he was seeking. Or maybe the board pointed it out to argue him down? Apples and Oranges there Rusty.

As it stands, Ball State is pretty average in it's compensation for the President as compared to the top 250 schools. 42 schools pay well over 1 million with one going as high as 4 million.

And if you really want to argue a point. I believe the AMA started the numbers game. By NOT publishing them when they should have.

Quick Reply