So Where Are.................. - RC Groups
Dec 23, 2017, 10:12 AM
Suspended Account
Discussion

So Where Are..................

The kit makers, hobby shop associations, etc. The folks who would go out of business were there to be a sudden loss of participants due to FAA rules and actions?

Why don't we hear anything about them in this fight? Or are they too busy switching to the commercial side of things?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2017, 10:43 AM
I think it's time to fly.
They aren't concerned because there is no real threat to the loss of hobby flying due to regulation and they know it.
Latest blog entry: All things that fly.
Dec 23, 2017, 11:05 AM
Ooooooo..... Where can I get one of those?!?

Dec 23, 2017, 12:20 PM
Lmao!
Dec 23, 2017, 12:31 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea
They aren't concerned because there is no real threat to the loss of hobby flying due to regulation and they know it.
That's something of a group portrait for Minnesota isn't it?
Dec 23, 2017, 12:45 PM
AVP, District IV
Love it. LOL

RustyK
AVP, D-IV
Dec 23, 2017, 01:03 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea
I remember a woman w/similar hairdo sat right in front of me at the movie theater, during the primere of “Crimson Tide” (5/12/95)!!!!! It looks good on you, though.
Dec 23, 2017, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
The kit makers, hobby shop associations, etc. The folks who would go out of business were there to be a sudden loss of participants due to FAA rules and actions?

Why don't we hear anything about them in this fight? Or are they too busy switching to the commercial side of things?
I think that is a really good question. The manufacturers and hobby shops have a great deal to lose, or at least one would think so, should the RC Hobby dwindle due to being regulated out of existence. Head in the sand syndrome? Do they feel as though there is no point in fighting? One would think they would be well aware of the issues.

I suppose the manufacturers could switch over to commercial but I wouldn't think that would completely replace their hobby customers.
Dec 23, 2017, 05:41 PM
Beware the savage jaw
I wonder the same thing every time I go to Tower's website. I noticed a while back they took down the heli category and are only selling drones now.You would think they would have a loud voice.
Dec 23, 2017, 05:59 PM
Suspended Account
Problem is the "Towers", Horizons" and others will be able to make a jump. Some will make it and some will fail but, they have the opportunity. The trick will be in being able to provide custom configured drones for commercial customers. The winners will find government contracts for hundreds if not thousands of units.

But this will finish off the local hobby shops as far as RC is concerned. Not to mention the small cottage level manufacturers. SIG comes to mind. So do a number of the small kit manufacturers.

Radios will become more sanitary and businesslike in their appearance. Some will be more tablet and laptop in nature. Some already are. The RC radio we use today? It's days are numbered. It will be an interesting time for a business major like myself. But a sad time too as another piece of Americana disappears from the scene.

I wonder if Niki knew how right he was?
Dec 23, 2017, 06:14 PM
Beware the savage jaw
I find it hard to feel bad for the LHS in this bunghole state, most of them already went under from high prices, even selling above msrp , lack of knowledgeable sales people etc.
Cars are still somewhat popular, but are fading.
Dec 23, 2017, 07:13 PM
DJO
DJO
"Yo, that's a thermal"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtech
I find it hard to feel bad for the LHS in this bunghole state, most of them already went under from high prices, even selling above msrp , lack of knowledgeable sales people etc.
+1
Cars seem to have been taken over by cheaper brands as it is anyways. I remember when I got my first Traxxas truck there were really only a few good manufacturers to buy from if you wanted to actually run the dang thing and not be fixing every day... HPI, Traxxas, Losi, and maybe Schumacher (?) if you were into racing, and most of those were not RTRs. Axial too of course was fantastic stuff.

Nowdays, every time I go over to AMainHobbies I see a half dozen new brands of trucks that are only $130 for an RTR and selling like mad. I suspect most of this is cheap Chinese stuff which albeit is probably just as good as the other name brands but maybe not so much geared towards the serious R/C fan and more of the in-between guy who just stepped up from a New Bright.
Jan 02, 2018, 09:25 AM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Quote:

I hear ya. Shop in my town had a Blade 500 that had been sitting on the shelf for over a year. I priced it at popular online California retailer. I drove to the shop and said that if they could match the price, Id buy. They told me no. So I drove home. About 2 hours later, the owner calls and says that hed be willing to sell it for $7 more. Now, mind you Id made one round trip already, and he wants me to make a second round trip AND pay more? I said NFW and bought from the small business in California. I had it three days later...no tax and free shipping.
Jan 02, 2018, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001

How can there be a loss when there is not yet any regulation? Just a requirement to register which many do not follow.
Jan 03, 2018, 07:13 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
I feel sorry for the LHS for the same reasons I feel sorry for all the little guys who have been pushed out by the big guys. The LHS use to be as much a social gathering as anything else. Now all we have are places like this. And while there are advantages to it, I'm not convinced it's better.

Quick Reply