Vq fw-190 d9 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 22, 2017, 05:21 PM
Discussion

Vq fw-190 d9

Does anyone actually have this plane?
https://vqwarbirds.com/product/vq-fo...-epgp-warbird/

I know it doesn't look that scale, but have been thinking I could bash this one to look half decent.

This is the only "Dora 9" arf out there except the ESM 83"....i already have that one.

I was hoping someone already had it that might be able to snap a couple pictures.

The canopy on the VQ needs a lot of help, the gun hood needs tons of help, etc.... But I've already got ideas on how to fix them.

The only other option would be to build a kit from skysharkrc. I don't really want to build a kit and if I was going to do a kit, I'd probably do an IMPscale since its a fiberglass fuse.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2017, 06:31 AM
jeez that VQ FW looks terrible.

I've been searching for a Dora for ages, your only option is a kit or like you said the ESM arf. At least your in the US and get this stuff a bit easier.
Dec 23, 2017, 07:17 AM
I do have the ESM... Great flier.
I was kinda wanting a size a little smaller then the ESM to have something as a fun fly no worries type.

Plus. vq lists the ESM D9 as out of stock.

I love my ESM D9, but it's also $2500 worth of value that I'm putting in the air every time I fly it.
Having something smaller I can feel OK flying it even in less then optimal wind conditions.

I do agree, the VQ D9 looks terrible, but if I can make it look better, it'll be much easier the building a kit
Dec 23, 2017, 08:29 AM
I don't know that the VQ Dora can be salvaged, the wing is all wrong too. What about this kit? I am going to get one.
https://www.fokkerc.com/product/fock...el-wooden-kit/
Dec 23, 2017, 10:01 AM
Wow that's small. Didn't even know it existed.
Maybe a little too small for my liking.

In my opinion, I'd be better off getting the Flightline Ta-152 51" offering from Motionrc.
But, I didn't really want foam either.

I was also trying to get something for my son. ...like buying two...so doing a kit doesn't sound fun doing twice.
My son really likes to fly planes with his mom😁
He's got an FMS stuka and now wants a balsa warbird. And like me, he loves German planes.

That was another reason for the VQ... A wood plane. Easy to put together and if my son crashed it, it wouldn't be like I spent 6 months or longer on a kit.

You are right though, the VQs wing isn't scale shape. But I suppose I'm just curious to see how much I could make the VQ look better without completely rebuilding entire main structures like the wings.
Dec 23, 2017, 02:25 PM
Most people are stupid!
That's a terrible looking D9. Almost as if the only reference they had was a cartoon image.
Dec 23, 2017, 02:50 PM
Yep... But that's the point of trying to bash it into something better looking. I'm certainly not going to buy my son an ESM simply out of total cost. (Esm D9 is out of stock anyways).

I wish there was a 60 size D9 are available... But there isn't.

Once the VQ is modified and painted, it'll look tons better. Still won't be super scale, but won't look like a cartoon.
Dec 23, 2017, 08:01 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
Might be easier bashing the VQ 60 size FW-190A into a Dora. It looks a bit better than the 46 size version. Just an idea

https://vqwarbirds.com/product/vq-fw-190/

Kman
Dec 23, 2017, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24
Might be easier bashing the VQ 60 size FW-190A into a Dora. It looks a bit better than the 46 size version. Just an idea

https://vqwarbirds.com/product/vq-fw-190/

Kman
The yellow #11 you linked to actually looks far worse... Extremely bad.
However, the other one listed on VQs site is Blue #13. In the pictures it looks far better, but... And this is a big BUT...the photos show someone's actual plane that was modded with parts from an epo FMS 55" fw 190. The canopy, gun hood, and cowl are all directly off an FMS. I know this because I had read the thread yesterday where the owner of the plane commented about his mods. He also mentioned how the photos of his plane were being shown on VQs product page....and if I recall correctly, without credit to the builder.

The stock cowl, however, still look horrid on VQs 190A. Trying to mod the VQ 190A into a Dora would take far more work and that cowl is completely wrong and far too big.
The only benefits of the VQ 190A is that it's got split flaps and slightly bigger wingspan at 63".

The 59" VQ Dora doesn't have flaps. It would be cool if the wing from the Anton actually fit the Dora. But I'm not buying both to find out.
Last edited by Katniss; Dec 23, 2017 at 09:03 PM.
Dec 23, 2017, 09:32 PM
I would forget VQ and get a Phoenix fw 190 and bash it.

FOCKE-WULF FW190A PH182 PHOENIXMODEL (2 min 27 sec)
Dec 23, 2017, 09:42 PM
The wing on the Phoenix looks way better, you wont have to mod the length of the fuselage since its already slightly longer than an A5. I think the end result will look much better.
Dec 23, 2017, 09:58 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJClub78
The wing on the Phoenix looks way better, you wont have to mod the length of the fuselage since its already slightly longer than an A5. I think the end result will look much better.
Lol, I was thinking that too

Who knows when it will be available though. It may show up on Towers website here in a couple months.

Kman
Dec 23, 2017, 10:06 PM
This could easily bash into a Dora. As for when it comes Feb 28th I think. The question is how much will they want for it?
Dec 23, 2017, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katniss
The yellow #11 you linked to actually looks far worse... Extremely bad.
However, the other one listed on VQs site is Blue #13. In the pictures it looks far better, but... And this is a big BUT...the photos show someone's actual plane that was modded with parts from an epo FMS 55" fw 190. The canopy, gun hood, and cowl are all directly off an FMS. I know this because I had read the thread yesterday where the owner of the plane commented about his mods. He also mentioned how the photos of his plane were being shown on VQs product page....and if I recall correctly, without credit to the builder.

The stock cowl, however, still look horrid on VQs 190A. Trying to mod the VQ 190A into a Dora would take far more work and that cowl is completely wrong and far too big.
The only benefits of the VQ 190A is that it's got split flaps and slightly bigger wingspan at 63".

The 59" VQ Dora doesn't have flaps. It would be cool if the wing from the Anton actually fit the Dora. But I'm not buying both to find out.
The blue 13 you are referring to is mine

The canopy and cowling I chopped up and remade, and a mock gun blister was built and a mold made from it and one taken from the mold, NOTHING from an FMS FW 190 will fit the 60. VQ bird

I think if the Dora had a nose job, a reworked canopy ( and the fuselage built up to suit) and new paint it would look 100% better

Mike
Dec 23, 2017, 10:30 PM
Mike your a machine

Quick Reply