Dec 22, 2017, 02:53 PM
Thread OP
Alert

2018 Torrey Pines Gulls Fun Fly Series

The Torrey Pines Gulls are pleased to announce the 2018 Torrey Pines Gliderport Fun Fly Schedule.

These events are open to all AMA members who love to fly Slope Gliders.

The dates are:
Jan 20 New Year Kickoff - Wind all day
Mar 24 Happy Hour
May 26 Foamy Fun Fly
Jul 28 TWF/PNF
Aug 25 Scale
Sep 15 Vintage
Nov 24 No Shopping

The following are not part of the Fun Fly series but are very important events to participate in:

Jun 2 Katie Martin Memorial
Apr 8 Torrey Pines Classis F3F Race

The goal of this series is to increase the presence of Safe Responsible RC Gliders at the Gliderport. We need to let the other users that RC Gliders will use the airspace. This series is also a time for the club members and locals to meet and greet, share information, sell or trade, and occasionally to pass on club news.

This location is on the bucketlist for many RC pilots; some who may fly Torrey once in their life, and we have the opportunity to fly Torrey year around.

Blue Skies
Ray
Last edited by rockbus; Jan 27, 2018 at 01:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2017, 03:09 PM
Thread OP

Fine Print

The Gliderport has a few unique rules required by the City of San Diego and the Lessee:

https://www.flytorrey.com/visiting-pilot/
https://www.flytorrey.com/site-rules/

These rules are for everyone Ė HG, PG, Full Scale, and RC. There are no exceptions. Following these rules and processes will keep everyone safe and reduce conflict. As a reminder the liability waiver is new at the start of the calendar year.

The Torrey Pines Gulls do not collect any fees from this process. We can assist in getting you checked out to fly Torrey.

http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/flying-torrey/

Out of Town RC Pilots do not have to be a TPG Member. RC Pilots are encouraged to join TPG to help continued access to the Gliderport and to enjoy access to the clubs thermal fields.

Ray
Dec 24, 2017, 11:14 AM
It's not going to build itself
Definitely need to go to Torrey more this year! Always a good time there.
Jan 15, 2018, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
Fun fly this Saturday Jan 20.

If you have not flown this year get there early and sign the 2018 liability form, video and day use fee at the Gliderport.

Ray.
Last edited by rockbus; Jan 21, 2018 at 01:51 PM.
Jan 20, 2018, 11:23 PM
Justin Tolman

Better late than never

The girls and I made it just before sunset and the wind was still rockin! I was able to finally get my 3m ASH-26, that I picked up from Thomas many moons ago, up in the air. I was equally stoked to bring it back in one piece.

How'd the rest of the day go?
Jan 21, 2018, 11:35 AM
The clown flyin' the plane.
Nice photo to wrap up the day Justin. Perhaps the best fun fly ever! Thanks for putting that on Ray and the Torrey Pines Gulls. The wind was definitely a nice touch after being without for quite awhile. I was so busy flying that I didn't take any photos. Great turnout.
Jan 21, 2018, 11:58 AM
Yesterday was a fantastic day! Best time I can remember. We had some high end flying skill demonstrated yesterday. Still so happy I started early at 9:00am so there was time to spectate and chat with the pros; plus enjoy a sandwich. Justin's picture is perfect for a wrap-up of how really good yesterday turned out.
Jan 21, 2018, 02:16 PM
Thread OP
Thank you wind gods!!!! We had 20+ Mph from 8 am dropping to the mid teens by noon then building when Justin and family arrived.

The RC Traffic out numbered the PG/HG Traffic for a change. A

Thank you all for attending. I also want to mention that everyone seems to be flying with good situational awareness. There were no mid airs, no issues with manned gliders, also I noticed many of the attendees taking time to talk to the visitors putting a good front to our hobby.

Iím uploading my photos and vids to Dropbox.

Here are a few for now. Iíll upload vids via Vimeo link tonight.

Blue Skies
Jan 21, 2018, 03:07 PM
Dale G......OZD
Beautiful day. Great start to 2018!

Dale
Jan 21, 2018, 04:45 PM

Holy smokes!!!

That will be a day I will never forget.. the wind was cranking and lots of beautiful planes being flown!!! All of the locals and a hand full of new guys showed up!! Best fun fly ever!!!
I can't believe how many amazing models were there and the pilot skill's being shown!!!
Thank you to all. Thank you Ray espeacially!
Good start to 2018
Jan 21, 2018, 10:38 PM
I know its probably fun but seems like a lot of rules and regulations. I've flown there 30 yrs ago and I seem to remember less rules. Of course with more people its a given it should be this way currently.
Jan 24, 2018, 01:44 AM
Thread OP
Mike (3 min 12 sec)
Jan 24, 2018, 02:53 PM
Dale G......OZD
Have you posted your other photos on Dropbox yet Ray?

DG
Jan 24, 2018, 09:44 PM
Thread OP
Yes I will send you a link.

I have another video to upload to Vimeo but have to wait till next week.
Last edited by rockbus; Jan 25, 2018 at 01:00 AM.
Jan 26, 2018, 10:11 PM
Thread OP
Ok. I dumped the vid on YouTube. I’ll later stick a Vimeo link once I can

Hope YouTube does not down grade the resolution.

Tpg Jan 2018 Fun Fly (3 min 30 sec)
Last edited by rockbus; Jan 28, 2018 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Updated names and planes

Quick Reply