This thread is privately moderated by Matthew Duncan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 22, 2017, 12:15 PM
A disaster waiting to happen
Thread OP
Build Log

An autonomous plane

Well, why not.....

I started this project when I saw all 5 of my HC-SRO4 ultrasonic ranging sensors and I saw a YouTube video of an automated rover using one for object avoidance and thought, I'll put em on a plane, how hard can it be?

Well, the answer is not yet found...
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2017, 12:24 PM
Thread OP
I toyed around with my arduino Uno r3 in the IDE to get a form of servo controller with the ultrasonic sensor and tried some smoothing equations but the code is a massive bodge and basically uses an if statement to check weather the sensor is a certain distance from something, then exponentially relates the servo's written angle to the distance from the object. It works well enough.

Stabilisation is also a thing I need so I ordered a few MPU-6050s with GY521 breakout chips for all my required axis of measurement. I'm still working on the code for them but I managed to find some code online that translates the raw values from the i2c to degrees that are more easy to work with.
Dec 22, 2017, 12:31 PM
Thread OP
I have a representation of where the devices will be located but I was thinking of more of a twin boom pusher model to carry the payload with a small wingspan as I would like to fly it indoors as the models algorithm basically tells it to level out on a path that is not obstructed and go forwards, that may have a few obvious issues in open air.
Dec 22, 2017, 12:32 PM
Thread OP
Oh yeah, and I'm 3d printing the ribs but my printers a bit tepramental at the moment.
Dec 23, 2017, 02:39 PM
Interesting and ambitious project!
Watching with interest!
I think I have seen it done in an indoor car park where a combination of sensors and pre programmed route someone managed to get a plane to fly around the pillars by itself but I'm not sure how genuine it was...

Should be fun trying ..
Dec 26, 2017, 05:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
Interesting and ambitious project!
Watching with interest!
I think I have seen it done in an indoor car park where a combination of sensors and pre programmed route someone managed to get a plane to fly around the pillars by itself but I'm not sure how genuine it was...

Should be fun trying ..
I saw MIT in America do one the flew inside and wondered if it was, although I didn't understand how one lidar sensor could be that accurate in all directions.

This should be fun,
Or at least that's what I'm telling myself........
Dec 26, 2017, 07:37 AM
Yeah, maybe try it on a RC car indoors first and progress to a plane perhaps outside before trying it in your house lol!
Dec 27, 2017, 04:06 AM
Thread OP
I'm hoping that IL be able to use the sports hall in school, but a car may be a good idea to start!
Won't need to worry as I have an old one, and it doesn't need stabilising with the gyros,

Good idea Nigel!

Quick Reply