Will The Commercial Drone Industry Put Us Real Men Out To Pasture? - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Dec 22, 2017, 11:22 AM
AeroDan
Discussion

Will The Commercial Drone Industry Put Us Real Men Out To Pasture?


Am I paranoid? Or am I the ONLY REAL MAN here concerned with this nightmare? I have NO problem registering with the FAA ($5-), because I look UGLY in handcuffs.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Dec 22, 2017 at 11:28 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2017, 12:19 PM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
franklin_m's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
Am I paranoid? Or am I the ONLY REAL MAN here concerned with this nightmare? I have NO problem registering with the FAA ($5-), because I look UGLY in handcuffs.
I think the commercial drone industry will drive policy / regulation / law. Although the AMA says it has 200,000 members, the reality is far fewer are paying members. I also suspect a good part of that 200,000 are people who aren't of legal voting age. And it's votes that make a difference.

Just my two cents, but I think AMA would be wise to contemplate a future that involves registration, knowledge tests for 101 ops, AND eventually some sort of transponder to tell the ATC system who's flying where. I think the longer they fight these the more they risk being marginalized more than than they already are.
Dec 22, 2017, 12:21 PM
Registered User
I can't speak for everyone but I'm a little concerned yet not registering and continuing to fly my 3 and 4S foam planes safely and responsibly at my flying site that's away from houses and people. I do nothing to attract attention and that's probably going to help me stay off anyone's radar. Only line of sight, no big aircraft (i.e. 6S), or fast aircraft than can get away from me, just good old stick and rudder flying at reasonable (low) altitudes. As an A&P, private pilot, ex-flight test engineer, and reasonable/responsible person, I think I have the judgement to continue safely flying if I stick with the above.

Fly near houses, big aircraft in small places (there's that judgement thing), in parks near people, FPV and high altitudes and/or beyond line of sight, yeah, that might attract attention. As a private pilot I have a big problem with high altitude FPV flying and think anyone doing it is an idiot unless far from any full scale flying, I doubt RC flying is going to be banned, in more populated areas it may be more difficult to fly on your own but that's always been the case.

I may be wrong but believe this whole thing is going to come to a head and recreational RC flying will be broken out and ignored for the most part if done responsibly. Maybe I'm wrong and the guys running around saying the RC sky is falling are correct. If I get in trouble I'll be sure to post here so all Hennie Pennies feel satisfaction in knowing that ceasing to fly, selling their fleets, or posting here was justified.

Just my 2 cents and I'm sure there will be posts refuting something I said, but that's what a discussion forum is all about! I do challenge everyone (including myself) to just enjoy the hobby over the holiday break and fly responsibly, and hopefully not spend too much free time over the holidays perusing these threads and getting ourselves worked up.
Last edited by Citationfxr; Dec 22, 2017 at 12:30 PM.
Dec 22, 2017, 12:39 PM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
franklin_m's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citationfxr
I do nothing to attract attention and that's probably going to help me stay off anyone's radar. Only line of sight, no big aircraft (i.e. 6S), or fast aircraft than can get away from me, just good old stick and rudder flying at reasonable (low) altitudes. As an A&P, private pilot, ex-flight test engineer, and reasonable/responsible person, I think I have the judgement to continue safely flying if I stick with the above.
If everyone did the same, that would be wonderful. Meanwhile, AMA is certifying 1/2 scale planes for flight. They're also increasing the speed limit for large and fast turbines, airplanes that are very complex. I believe it's not a matter of "if" one of these large and fast models crashes in a way that draws attention, it's a matter of "when." Why? because we know "complex systems fail in complex ways," and AMA's training and certification process does not address the complexity of these systems.
Dec 22, 2017, 05:06 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
If everyone did the same, that would be wonderful. Meanwhile, AMA is certifying 1/2 scale planes for flight. They're also increasing the speed limit for large and fast turbines, airplanes that are very complex. I believe it's not a matter of "if" one of these large and fast models crashes in a way that draws attention, it's a matter of "when." Why? because we know "complex systems fail in complex ways," and AMA's training and certification process does not address the complexity of these systems.
It happened several years ago. Model jet crashed into a house. Was no big deal. Modeler paid for damages.
Dec 22, 2017, 05:32 PM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
franklin_m's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
It happened several years ago. Model jet crashed into a house. Was no big deal. Modeler paid for damages.

Several years ago there was not the media and public attention on these. Same event happens today, I venture it gets a lot more attention.
Dec 22, 2017, 05:36 PM
**********BOHICA********
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
I think the commercial drone industry will drive policy / regulation / law. Although the AMA says it has 200,000 members, the reality is far fewer are paying members. I also suspect a good part of that 200,000 are people who aren't of legal voting age. And it's votes that make a difference.

Just my two cents, but I think AMA would be wise to contemplate a future that involves registration, knowledge tests for 101 ops, AND eventually some sort of transponder to tell the ATC system who's flying where. I think the longer they fight these the more they risk being marginalized more than than they already are.
I wonder how many would be grounded by the test.
Dec 23, 2017, 11:16 AM
RAF 001
KMK001's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
Several years ago there was not the media and public attention on these. Same event happens today, I venture it gets a lot more attention.
Doesn't take much on YouTube to find all kinds of videos showing models of all types crashing in glorious fashion. Some even in flames. Exciting stuff!

Unless you're trying to keep a low profile.

I have no doubt a number of our congress critters have watched some if not many of these videos.
Dec 23, 2017, 11:21 AM
RAF 001
KMK001's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
If everyone did the same, that would be wonderful. Meanwhile, AMA is certifying 1/2 scale planes for flight. They're also increasing the speed limit for large and fast turbines, airplanes that are very complex. I believe it's not a matter of "if" one of these large and fast models crashes in a way that draws attention, it's a matter of "when." Why? because we know "complex systems fail in complex ways," and AMA's training and certification process does not address the complexity of these systems.
And since it would appear that more and more people engaged in this hobby seem to have more money than brains, we see more complex vehicles being flown by less complex people in far more reckless ways. Only a matter of time. And those who think otherwise? You're just fooling yourselves.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 87 YO engineer gets put out to pasture dll932 Life, The Universe, and Politics 62 Jan 01, 2017 02:29 PM
Discussion Pilot's license will be required for commercial drones NorfolkSouthern Commercial UAV/FPV 68 Oct 21, 2015 11:21 PM
News The FAA Just Approved US's First Commercial Drone Jason Cole Aerial Photography 27 Dec 20, 2014 01:45 AM
"Real Men of Genius" radio commercials Mr Mootsie Life, The Universe, and Politics 14 Aug 01, 2003 10:50 PM