Taranis: Tame Your Volume Control! - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Miami Mike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 21, 2017, 09:36 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers

Taranis: Tame Your Volume Control!

If you're controlling your Taranis volume with one of your potentiometers ("sliders") you might be annoyed that the volume can be accidentally adjusted so high that you get bad distortion, or so low that you can't hear it and you miss important alarms and messages. If the maximum is louder than you want, or the minimum is lower than you want, or both, here's how to confine your volume range within upper and lower limits of your choice.

In this example I'll use RS as the volume control, but it could also be LS, S1, or S2.

You probably have your volume set up like this on your Special Functions page:

That's pretty simple, but to restrict the range you'll need to make it slightly more complicated.

Create an input like this:

It'll look like this on your Inputs page:

Then make a small change to your existing special function:

At this point your volume control should work exactly the same as it did before.

At the bottom of your Telemetry page set up a "Numbers" screen or add this entry to an already existing Numbers screen:

This will enable you to monitor the numerical value of your volume setting and determine where to set your maximum and minimum limits.

If you did all this with Companion, the next step will be to upload it into your radio for the final step of determining and setting the limits you want.

Turn your radio on and long-press the PAGE button to bring up the telemetry screen. Confirm that the volume value varies from -100 to +100 as you rotate your volume control.

Operate controls on your radio to trigger sounds while adjusting the volume and observing the corresponding values on the screen, and determine what you want your upper and lower limits to be.

Add the two values and divide by two. This will be your Offset value.

Subtract the lower value from the upper value and divide by two. This will be your Weight value.

For example, you determine that the maximum setting you want is +10 and the minimum you want is -50. If you add +10 to -50 you get -40. -40 divided by two is -20, so your offset will be -20.

If you subtract -50 from +10 you get +60. (Subtracting a negative number is the same as adding the corresponding positive number.) +60 divided by two is +30, so your Weight will be +30. This will always be a positive number.

Edit the Vol input by entering those values:

Long-press the PAGE button to bring up the telemetry screen. Rotate the volume control and confirm that the volume value now varies between its new limits.

If you're satisfied with the limits you've chosen then you can remove the volume readout from the telemetry screen if you like, or you can keep it there as a reference.

All of the radio mods and programming setups in my blog are developed with, and designed for, the FrSky Taranis Plus using OpenTX version 2.1.9. If you've adapted any of them to other radios or later OpenTX versions, or found a better way to do what I've described here, please feel free to describe your version or link to it in the comment section below the relevant post.

I'm currently satisfied with OpenTX 2.1.9 and have no plan to upgrade.

Last edited by Miami Mike; Feb 01, 2018 at 03:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2017, 11:34 PM
looking up, down under
mike, you've done it again

Dec 26, 2017, 09:23 PM
Yes, thank you! A very clear tutorial!

One addition: Make sure "Wav volume" is set to maximum on the Radio Setup page before determining the upper and lower limits. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting a really loud distorted volume when I had S1 all the way up, and it was because I had the Wav volume set to about 60%, and that was as high as it got, even with S1 all the way up.

The explanation of the math seemed a little confusing at first, but the examples cleared it up.

I also had the Betaflight LUA scripts set up as my first Telemetry page, so maybe mention to add a page if needed (it doesn't have to be the first one).

But, I nitpick, great stuff, worked perfectly, thanks!
Dec 27, 2017, 07:21 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
You're welcome!

As far as using a telemetry screen, If you set this up on an unused channel on your Mixes page instead of on your Inputs page, you can read your volume setting on your Channel Monitor screen.

Quick Reply