ASA filament? - RC Groups
Dec 21, 2017, 08:54 PM
My planes plow into the field
Discussion

ASA filament?

Hi,
Is anyone printing with ASA filament? It looks like it has some good properties but I would like to hear from some who are using it. I have read that it has good resistance to hot temperatures and that it is lighter than PLA. I have read the weight is 1.07 to 1.11 g/cm3 vs. 1.25 g/cm3 for PLA.

What temps are you running?
Do you use and enclosure? What temps for the enclosure?
What speed on the parts fan?
Thanks.
farmertom.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2017, 11:10 AM
hummmm..
Another thing I think would be nice about ASA filament is that it can be smoothed with acetone and parts can be welded with it also..
Dec 22, 2017, 01:29 PM
I got given a sample by Material4Print, a manufacturer here in the town where I live. The boss told me that it was 'the future' and would be perfect for making model aircraft parts, mostly for the reasons that you said but he also said that it was FAR stronger than PLA. One of his major customers is a vehicle parts manufacturer here in Germany making after market body panels on demand and he has also supplied 2 aircraft manufacturers.

Tried it once briefly but it wouldn't stick to the plate and wasn't 'flowing' out of the nozzle, need to play around.

Paul
Dec 22, 2017, 02:07 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Many moons ago, Don Downing used ASA sheet plastic to vac foam large parts for his line of Model Merchant models, circa 1977-1985. It was not bad at all, rather similar to ABS.

It does NOT like glow fuel. (Not much of an issue these days, but worth noting.) Makes it blush white and embrittles it fairly quickly unless you paint it appropriately. I seem to recall it was not all that great with UV exposure either, but would need to research to confirm that.
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Dec 22, 2017, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
I seem to recall it was not all that great with UV exposure either, but would need to research to confirm that.
One of ASA claims to fame is that it is made for outdoor use. Better than ABS as far as yellowing and resistance to heat..
Dec 22, 2017, 04:36 PM
Retired CAD guy
OK I looked for some and it seems a bit pricey at 1st glance.

VS PET-G , PLA+ et al

You try it , please, and we'll wait for the reality + -
Dec 22, 2017, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom
One of ASA claims to fame is that it is made for outdoor use. Better than ABS as far as yellowing and resistance to heat..
LOL!
Busted TOTA!
Dec 23, 2017, 10:04 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Given that ABS is notably bad at being exposed to UV, the info that ASA is better may not mean that ASA is 100% suitable for unprotected outdoor use.

Most models only spend a little time sitting in direct sunshine in the course of their existence, so not really a major concern
Dec 23, 2017, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Given that ABS is notably bad at being exposed to UV, the info that ASA is better may not mean that ASA is 100% suitable for unprotected outdoor use.
So what filament do you use?
Dec 23, 2017, 11:43 AM
Electric Coolhunter
I use ABS plus at work in a older but serviceable and upgraded Stratysis Dimension 1200es, but the parts are not for outdoor use.

I work in an engineering model shop. We actually did flying aircraft via rapid prototyping back in 2002-2003. Having said that, I still favor conventional construction for a number of reasons, but I think it is great that lots of folks are printing flying models.
Dec 26, 2017, 03:21 PM
Finally got around to doing a small test tower in ASA.

Had a loose glass plate moving around that ruined the first try (a heat tower) but OMG, am I impressed by the second go!!!!!

Smoooooth, STRONG and to me it feels lighter (however that is subjective so probably should be ignored).

The company that supplied my sample have an information and data 'page' and it states there that the Butadien (??) part of ABS is replaced with Akrlesther (??) in ASA and that the 'B' stuff is the poor UV resistance and the 'A' stuff has great UV resistance.

37.95/ kg (ASA) against 29.90 / kg (PLA) from that supplier or over double what HK charge.

Can't get photos 'cos my sample is 'natural' and matt white does not like the camera lens.....

Paul
Dec 26, 2017, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
Finally got around to doing a small test tower in ASA.

Had a loose glass plate moving around that ruined the first try (a heat tower) but OMG, am I impressed by the second go!!!!!

Smoooooth, STRONG and to me it feels lighter (however that is subjective so probably should be ignored).

The company that supplied my sample have an information and data 'page' and it states there that the Butadien (??) part of ABS is replaced with Akrlesther (??) in ASA and that the 'B' stuff is the poor UV resistance and the 'A' stuff has great UV resistance.

€ 37.95/ kg (ASA) against € 29.90 / kg (PLA) from that supplier or over double what HK charge.

Can't get photos 'cos my sample is 'natural' and matt white does not like the camera lens.....

Paul
That is great news! I am still working on my heated enclosure to begin using my two rolls of ASA. Hopefully by the end of the week I can begin some tests.
ASA is supposed to be only 15% or so lighter than PLA so it may be a little hard to tell if it is lighter by feel..
It will be worth the money to print an airplane that will last for years instead of days/weeks.
In the US the cost of PLA is about $20 to $27 and my rolls of ASA were $34 each...
Please keep me posted if you do any more tests....

So as a bench mark what setting were you using? Did you use an enclosure?
-regards
Tom
Last edited by farmertom; Dec 26, 2017 at 04:04 PM.
Dec 27, 2017, 12:33 AM
Quote:
That is great news! I am still working on my heated enclosure to begin using my two rolls of ASA. Hopefully by the end of the week I can begin some tests.
ASA is supposed to be only 15% or so lighter than PLA so it may be a little hard to tell if it is lighter by feel..
It will be worth the money to print an airplane that will last for years instead of days/weeks.
In the US the cost of PLA is about $20 to $27 and my rolls of ASA were $34 each...
Please keep me posted if you do any more tests....

So as a bench mark what setting were you using? Did you use an enclosure?
-regards
Tom
Keep your eye on M3D filaments, I think they are calling their ASA,,,,, ABS R 3 or something.
Dec 27, 2017, 12:41 PM
No enclosure...

Super cheap GeeeTech Pro B

Bed at 90 seemed OK and I went for 270 at first and dropped down to 265 which seemed to be slightly better, smoother and stronger.

Unfortunately I only have around 5 - 6 meters and not really sure what to print that would be useful and a good test.

Also unfortunate that I placed an order with HK yesterday (whilst the test was running to be honest) and have 1.5 kg of PLA on it's way, didn't really want to order more filament at the moment.

Paul
Dec 27, 2017, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fATAL
Keep your eye on M3D filaments, I think they are calling their ASA,,,,, ABS R 3 or something.
I went to their website and found the ABS-R filament. Although it has some nice properties I did not see any reference to weight or resistance to heat/UV. So for now I will continue to use/test ASA labeled filaments. Thanks.
regards

Quick Reply