Dec 21, 2017, 12:02 PM
windyhill
Alert

beware value hobby

Ordered a life 1800 battery with regulator put it in my futaba 7c to charge and it exploded and ruined my radio. Called them and have not a word back, and when you call their mailbox is full.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2017, 03:07 PM
Question #1: Why would you feel you needed to add a regulator when running a 3S Life in a transmitter
Question #2: Did you attempt to to charge the Life battery in the transmitter, using the stock Futaba charger??? This would inevitably lead to a disaster.
The Life battery needs to be charged with a balance charger set to Life setting.
Pete
Dec 21, 2017, 04:43 PM
This is your fault - not value hobby's fault. You should know not to ever charge a LiFe or LiPo inside a transmitter. I have used batteries from value hobby and I have never had a problem dealing with them.
Dec 21, 2017, 05:02 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
What size motor and prop did you use? This is a POWER SYSTEM forum.... Electric motors and esc.

Can't follow forum layout, not surprised at all you blew up a volatile battery with the wrong charger.
Dec 21, 2017, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
This is your fault - not value hobby's fault. You should know not to ever charge a LiFe or LiPo inside a transmitter. I have used batteries from value hobby and I have never had a problem dealing with them.
+1..... I've been using their 3S/1800mah LiFe batteries in both my JR10X's for several years now & NEVER had an incident & they are still in use. Probably because I charge them on my balance charger.......

Denny
Dec 21, 2017, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiepap
+1..... I've been using their 3S/1800mah LiFe batteries in both my JR10X's for several years now & NEVER had an incident & they are still in use. Probably because I charge them on my balance charger.......

Denny
I have similar LiFe in my JR9303's. I get very long run times with them. Charge them with my Imax B6 on LiFe 3S setting.
Dec 22, 2017, 02:37 PM
★★★★★★★★
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
You should know not to ever charge a LiFe or LiPo inside a transmitter.
what's wrong with it ? do you take the battery out from your cell phone or tablet for charging ?
if you charge the Tx' battery at 0.5C (2 hours) or less there shoud be no problem.
Dec 22, 2017, 03:17 PM
Space Coast USA
What's wrong with it?
The stock charger is for NiCd batteries is it not?
One should never use a NiCd charger with LiFe or Liion cells or they go BOOM.
Dec 22, 2017, 03:41 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Let's say it the right way. There's nothing wrong with charging batteries in the tx if the charger is the proper one for the batteries. Which appears may not have been the case.
Dec 22, 2017, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse
what's wrong with it ? do you take the battery out from your cell phone or tablet for charging ?
if you charge the Tx' battery at 0.5C (2 hours) or less there shoud be no problem.
Your radio was designed for NiCad/NiMh batteries. That is what is wrong with it. You don't charge LiFe with a NiMh/NiCad charger Period!
Dec 22, 2017, 06:01 PM
I have a Futaba 7C for sale
Dec 23, 2017, 12:41 PM
★★★★★★★★
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
Let's say it the right way. There's nothing wrong with charging batteries in the tx if the charger is the proper one for the batteries. Which appears may not have been the case.
+1 at least one smart person who got what I wanted to say.
if you don't charge it extra fast over 1C rate there is no possibility the Lithium battery gets inflated so no need to get the pack out

I have only used the supplied wall wart when I started this hobby on my first Tx but I prefer the smart charger for everything else.
only old men or ignorants are still using the wall charger, that could be the cause of the explosion
personally I prefer the Tx batts with built-in cell balancer I don't need to unplug the main connector hundreds of times which could lead to false contact between the connector and Tx pins
Dec 23, 2017, 12:54 PM
I have the charge jack on the radio covered up with tape so I know not to plug in the wall wart. I still have radios with NiCads in them and I do use the wall wart to charge them.
Dec 23, 2017, 03:36 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
The behavior of Value hobby is similar to my last purchase from them.

I ordered a 3d printer it came with missing hardware and did not have a power cord. They would not do anything about the missing parts. I asked for a return. They would not respond.

Do Not do business with Value Hobby.
Dec 25, 2017, 11:46 AM
I've bought a number of battery packs from them and found the G Force brand to be an excellent value. They are not the hottest packs available but for general flying without the worry of damaging an expensive pack, which we all have done , they are a good value.
Nobody's perfect.
Dealing with small companies like Value Hobby can be a bit of hassle as they are owned and operated by those who also have full time jobs elsewhere.

Quick Reply