Apr 16, 2018, 08:33 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the comments.

Phil, the model is covered with 1 oz cloth and epoxy which seemed to add a lot of toughness to the surface but it still needs care to avoid dings. I have 1/2" wide carbon spread tow along the trailing edges and 1" wide carbon spread tow along the top and bottom of the wings to act as spars.

I can't really do much to the intakes without spoiling the scale effect but I think take-offs will get better once our runway has had some work done to it. On the maiden flight, I was only using half of the runway because of the limbo poles and I very nearly aborted as I was running out of room. Next time out, I'll have a lot more room to work with.

I don't think I've ever had a model fly so smoothly on its first flight. I obviously got lucky. I've got the retracts sorted out and it's all ready to go again.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2018, 06:20 PM
Brilliant model!
Jul 09, 2019, 04:10 AM
Thread OP
Final round up on my Javelin after a year of limited use. (And a special offer!)

As stated, on the maiden flight, I bent the nose leg on landing. I couldn't find how to remove the pin from the retract unit to straighten it but I had a spare unit so I simply installed that. On my next trip to the site, I had another good flight and then, on my second take off, the model ran into the long grass and bent two of the retract pins. Still couldn't fix them so, in frustration, I decided to do away with the retracts, mounted a hook in the nose leg bay and converted the plane to a bungee launcher. I had a couple of flights using the bungee but I found it a real pain setting everything up for a launch and the bungee and stakes just got in everybody else's way. At this point, the model got relegated to the roof space in my shed and lay unused for several months.

Over last summer and winter, our new flying site was much improved and the grass has now grown nice and thick and even and this makes take offs and landings much easier. Despite this, I recently bent a retract pin on my Avios Spitfire. on investigation, I was disappointed to see that the retracts were the same units as I had had in the Javelin. However, with a bit of investigation, I discovered how to get the pin out (two grub screws set in from the sides in the centre of the pivot mechanism).

This led to me looking at the retracts from the Javelin, fixing them and reinstalling them in the model. I took it out yesterday for another try and it flew just brilliantly. The model looks fantastic in the air and (with all due respect to the speed merchants amongst you) flies at a really scale speed, tootling around at half throttle. It doesn't do much - I haven't tried a loop as loops were banned in the full size where your first loop was usually your last but it is just really smooth and low fly pasts are very impressive. It's also pretty heavy on batteries. I was using new 7000 mah batteries from Bangood and these only gave about a 6 minute flight using the least amount of throttle to keep it flying safely.

As Floey had recommended, I planned to take off on the retracts but do a belly landing. However, the plane had flown so well that I just had to drop the retracts for the landing. I made a perfect approach and cut the power on the threshold and then found out that I couldn't get the plane to flare out and landed (fast) on the nose leg. Three enormous bounces later, the nose leg was bent up into the wheel well and that retract unit was only fit for the bin. However, they only cost 7.00 each from Hobbyking so it's easily replaced. Must belly land next time!

And now for the offer. I have all the laser cut templates taking up space in my shed and I am going to get rid of them. If anyone would like to have a go at a Gloster Javelin, I will be happy to wrap them up and post them off to you. I can also provide the plans as AutoCAD and .pdf files and the build thread should provide enough information to allow you to succesfully complete the model. The two changes I would make would be to enlarge the size of the elevators (essential) and to replace the canopy with a clear one, although this would require a bit of work.
Jul 09, 2019, 08:28 AM
Jer. 29:11
Terrific to see it out of storage and into the air!

I'd love to read the PDF plans, if nothing else, to continue to learn from your build experience.
Jul 09, 2019, 04:22 PM
Pro Hoarder
Hello Ian,
Good to see her back in the air..I would love to have a go at this one..Let me know how much to send to California...I am happy to make a donation to your fund
Scott
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jul 09, 2019, 06:59 PM
Thread OP
As usual, thanks for the comments and support guys.

Jeff,

If you pm me with your e-mail address, I will be happy to send you the pdf files.

Scott,

I'm glad you were the first to ask since you were very supportive through the build. I've got your pm and Ill answer you through that.
Jul 10, 2019, 01:22 PM
Pro Hoarder
Hi Ian
Drawing received!..very cool..Nice work as always
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jul 11, 2019, 03:58 AM
Hi Ian,

I would like to get a copy of the AutoCAD plans, if possible. This model would look good on the slope in unpowered PSS format. Should be a light wind model at 1.7kg (no power system or retracts!)

Martin.
Jul 11, 2019, 08:49 AM
Thread OP
Martin,

I would think it would be great PSS model. I've had a quick check of the weights and removing the retracts and fan and replacing the big 6S battery with something like a 3S 1300 mah lipo brings the weight of my model (as built) down to 1.9 kg. This brings the wing loading down to 11 oz. / sq. ft. The airfoil makes no concession to soaring, I'm afraid, as it is a scale symmetrical airfoil.

To encourage my laziness, and for the benefit of anyone else who is interested in the model, I have uploaded both the cad files and the pdf files to the Mega web hosting site. Feel free and have at them. The link to the plans is: https://mega.nz/#F!FBd0QYAb!quVTtgPT8ejyH6AjdgSpkA

The only thing I would ask if anyone wants to download the plans is just to drop a note in this thread to let me know. I'm only interested to see how many people like the model. I am not after anything for the plans. I draw my plans for fun. Once they are drawn and the model is built they are of no further use to me personally. I am more than happy to make them available to anyone who might be interested.
Jul 11, 2019, 10:08 PM
Ian,

Thank you for posting the files. I've downloaded them and added them to my burgeoning library of wanna-builds. Perhaps someday the Vulcan will have a brother...

Cheers!

Karl.
Jul 12, 2019, 03:21 AM
Ian,

Many thanks for the files. Lots of work have obviously gone into them.

Martin.

Quick Reply