This thread is privately moderated by Deserteagle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 20, 2017, 08:50 PM
DumbThumbsFPV
Thread OP
Discussion

DJI race edition goggles

DJI has announced their race edition goggles recently. They say that the latency is AS LOW as 50ms, provides HD footage, has a DVR and also has one 5.8ghz receiver.

https://www.dji.com/dji-goggles-re

• 12 Selectable Transmission Channels

• Access to low-interference transmission channels is the key to success for competitive FPV racing, especially when multiple drones are flying simultaneously. Manually choose from up to 12 transmission channels to effectively avoid interference. 4
  • When encountering wireless interference, the OcuSync Module will quickly and automatically switch between the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz channels to maintain unobstructed transmission.

Also, its 148 FOV

1. Attainable when transmission resolution is set to 480p under FCC regulations at 2.4 GHz in ideal conditions. The recommended transmission distance is 2 km for fixed-wing aircraft and 200 m for drone racing.
2. Camera Module and OcuSync Video Transmission Module sold separately.
3. 720p 60 fps, 480p 50 fps transmission are also supported.
4. 12 selectable transmission channels are available at 5.8 GHz and seven channels are available at 2.4 GHz.
5. Supported with both OcuSync and analog video transmission.
6. OcuSync Video Transmission Module and Camera Module are required.

Weight (Typical)DJI Goggles RE Body: 502 g;
Headband: 500 g

WeightAir Unit: 43.7 g;
Camera (cable included): 18.2 g;
Pagoda Antenna: 9.4 g;
Cylindrical Antenna: 9.4 g;
Dipole Antenna: 4.2 g

Input Power9-16.8 V (3S-4S)

960p50: 70 ms; 720p60: 60 ms; 480p50: 50 ms

Battery Capacity:9440 mAh

They say on their website:

Faster HD FPV RacingStay in control. Feel the rush.

But the question is will it really?

The problem I see with this design is many.

1. The size of these and weight is 3 times that of FatShark goggles overall

2. I don't believe the battery is interchangeable
3. As many of us know, Black is not good for sunny days (is there a fan?)

4. There doesn't seem to be a place for diopters or any kind of adjustment for individual pupillary distance.
5. The latency even on the lowest setting is too much for high speed racing
6. Racing requires a pit mode
7. The weight of the camera AND transmitter totals 61.9 grams
8.200m for racing? What about trees and many rural races have?
9. Will the 2.4ghz transmission interfere with my Taranis?
10. The 5.8ghz Analog doesn't have diversity?
11. Field of view is very large for racing or freestyle as many have complained about FatShark's HD2s for that very reason.

I questioned all of this and came to the conclusion that these are great for high up flying wings but not made really for any kind of "racing"

I don't think my questions are harsh as they are the same points others have brought up about many of the FPV googles out there without reprisal.
I do see many youtube videos popping up from "reviewers" that don't have anything to do with actually racing anything and most don't even know how to fly a racing style copter as shown in their videos. Most if not ALL of their videos are camera drones and specifically DJI ones.. all glowing

I would like to hear from people that do race or freestyle copters what they think

posted below is a headset from 1995... seems similar in design but actually cooler
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2017, 02:47 PM
I think these goggles are going to be for the Dji racing class with full snail motors
Dec 21, 2017, 03:21 PM
DumbThumbsFPV
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy
I think these goggles are going to be for the Dji racing class with full snail motors
LOL slow and steady wins the race! I'm waiting with bated breath for them to announce their new Turtle flight controllers and 5 inch Sloth frame!
Dec 21, 2017, 03:57 PM
That is the perfect quad when you transition from a Phantom.

Quick Reply