This is your enemy - RC Groups
Dec 20, 2017, 07:02 PM
Suspended Account
Discussion

This is your enemy

https://www.commercialdronealliance....king-committee

Contact them and let them know how you feel.. I dissent to their dissent.. and I say screw them.. I'm not putting a transponder in a P-51 mustang or any foamy... If they suddenly get hit with a ton of comments.. they might realize something..
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2017, 07:33 PM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erospawn
https://www.commercialdronealliance....king-committee

Contact them and let them know how you feel.. I dissent to their dissent.. and I say screw them.. I'm not putting a transponder in a P-51 mustang or any foamy... If they suddenly get hit with a ton of comments.. they might realize something..
Not only does the Commercial Drone Alliance think all sUAS should participate (or most with few exceptions), they're joined in that position by AUVSI, Flight Safety Foundation, Amazon Prime Air, General Aviation Manufacturers Association, Aerospace Industries Association, National Agricultural Aviation Association, X, GE, uAvionix, Ford Motor Company, AirMap, General Atomics, Rockwell Collins, ASTM International, IEEE, uAvionix, and Airline Pilot's Association.

Call it a hunch, but I'm thinking those groups carry considerable weight. I think it's not a question of "if" recreational sUAS will ultimately require some sort of transponder, it's just a matter of "when."
Dec 20, 2017, 07:43 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
Not only does the Commercial Drone Alliance think all sUAS should participate (or most with few exceptions), they're joined in that position by AUVSI, Flight Safety Foundation, Amazon Prime Air, General Aviation Manufacturers Association, Aerospace Industries Association, National Agricultural Aviation Association, X, GE, uAvionix, Ford Motor Company, AirMap, General Atomics, Rockwell Collins, ASTM International, IEEE, uAvionix, and Airline Pilot's Association.

Call it a hunch, but I'm thinking those groups carry considerable weight. I think it's not a question of "if" recreational sUAS will ultimately require some sort of transponder, it's just a matter of "when."
if they want to piss a lot of people off ...fine.. they still have to enforce it.. and I doubt they will be able to do it.
The problem comes in the reality that people have a lot of money tied up into it..and aren't going to take being told their stuff is now worthless..and you have people who take this hobby very passionately and seriously..and of course those who will not let the Government push them around.. I suspect they try it..there will be a marked increase of so called incidents...... You gotta get caught first.. and if you ain't registered...and you ain't got no tracking device.. they ain't gonna find you.... especially if you aren't breaking any rules to get noticed... They want to make laws and regulations..let them enforce them... I am not going to help in any way shape or form.. I've been doing this safely for years...and you punish me? I don't freakin think so.

Besides... who is going to know if I am hovering my helicopter 5 feet off the ground in backyard? I can fly a helicopter anywhere... I don't need a runway.. I can fly 1ft off the ground or 100 ft off the ground.. Besides, can you imagine how useless requiring a 40% 3D plane or P-47 or a 3D helicopter to have a transponder? That would be absolutely asinine.
Last edited by erospawn; Dec 20, 2017 at 07:56 PM.
Dec 20, 2017, 08:35 PM
Just make a friendly name for the law like "Navigation Neutrality". Exagerate on fake book how planes and fiery drones will be falling out of the sky without it, peeping in windows and the natives will beg us to pass it!
Last edited by sdigrazia1; Dec 20, 2017 at 10:02 PM.
Dec 20, 2017, 09:55 PM
That's it. I'm done. Gonna just give it all away and take up model railroading before they legislate speed limits.
Dec 21, 2017, 08:02 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:

Almost impossible to enforce.....
Dec 21, 2017, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
Almost impossible to enforce.....
How so? Hand held code interrogator for local law enforcement. Pull up at a field, four sUAS flying. Interrogator shows only three codes. One that doesn't read gets fined.
Dec 21, 2017, 08:44 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
How so? Hand held code interrogator for local law enforcement. Pull up at a field, four sUAS flying. Interrogator shows only three codes. One that doesn't read gets fined.
They aren't going to waste their time unless they are doing something stupid..Flying in an empty field not causing any trouble and not a restricted area is likely to prompt a warning if anything. But again, the presence of law enforcement is required...
Dec 21, 2017, 08:47 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:

I see absolutely ZERO value in being required to have tracking if all I am doing is flying around in circles at a designated field..... they already know we are there.. Unless of course what they really mean to do is eliminate it altogether...

I fail to see the value in learning about sectionals etc, when all you're doing is flying your foamy champ around in circles in an empty field.
There may be SOME value is a testing to ensure the pilot understands where he can and can't fly.. and other common sense stuff.
Dec 21, 2017, 09:13 AM
Quote:
LEO won't bother with that. They only come out when someone calls them and the club is not going to ask them to check.
Dec 21, 2017, 09:19 AM
Quote:
You think local LEO departments have a budget for this? HA... we can't get them to investigate theft of $60k construction equipment, even when there is video. No $$ No manpower, No incentive...... NO Enforcement
Dec 21, 2017, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erospawn
I see absolutely ZERO value in being required to have tracking if all I am doing is flying around in circles at a designated field..... they already know we are there.. Unless of course what they really mean to do is eliminate it altogether...

I fail to see the value in learning about sectionals etc, when all you're doing is flying your foamy champ around in circles in an empty field.
There may be SOME value is a testing to ensure the pilot understands where he can and can't fly.. and other common sense stuff.
The problem is that not everyone is "flying [their] foamy champ around in circles in an empty field." Testing ensures a base level of knowledge, and once that's established as a condition of being able to fly legally, not makes it easier to hold people accountable. They lose the "I didn't know" defense. Additionally, it allows responsible hobby fliers to draw that clear bright line and distinguish themselves (favorably) from the rouge drone fliers.
Dec 21, 2017, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
You think local LEO departments have a budget for this? HA... we can't get them to investigate theft of $60k construction equipment, even when there is video. No $$ No manpower, No incentive...... NO Enforcement
Congress frequently appropriates money for local law enforcement use. It's as easy as line or two in a bill.
Dec 21, 2017, 09:28 AM
I just read their document, and that's one thing it seems like

"The Alliance disagrees with any approach that would permit a huge segment of the drone community to avoid participating in the UAS ID and tracking system and complying with the corresponding ID and Tracking regulations. The number of vehicles registered for commercial use is a small fraction of the number of vehicles registered for hobbyist use."

"For decades, model aircraft use has captivated the imagination of the American public in a safe and secure way. But as technology has improved and times have changed, hobbyists are no longer flying alone. Unmanned Traffic Management (“UTM”) systems, being developed now as “highways in the sky,” will be less effective for everyone if anonymous non-participants clog the sky. For the new drone economy to truly take off, we all need to abide by some low-cost and unburdensome “rules of the road.”"
Dec 21, 2017, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyP.
I just read their document, and that's one thing it seems like

"The Alliance disagrees with any approach that would permit a huge segment of the drone community to avoid participating in the UAS ID and tracking system and complying with the corresponding ID and Tracking regulations. The number of vehicles registered for commercial use is a small fraction of the number of vehicles registered for hobbyist use."

"For decades, model aircraft use has captivated the imagination of the American public in a safe and secure way. But as technology has improved and times have changed, hobbyists are no longer flying alone. Unmanned Traffic Management (“UTM”) systems, being developed now as “highways in the sky,” will be less effective for everyone if anonymous non-participants clog the sky. For the new drone economy to truly take off, we all need to abide by some low-cost and unburdensome “rules of the road.”"
To add to this, small "racing" quads (drones to some) are exploding in popularity, I see about a zero (0) chance of them strapping on an ADS-B out unit ( or similar) It just does not fit. The "tracking unit" would have to be in the neighbor hood of sub 10g and sub 20x20mm board size, and then not interfere with existing RF frequencies typically used for R/C. A tall order for such a small size constraint. Not to mention cost. If the units have to be certified, then it will never happen.......

Quick Reply