3D Printed EDF Modern Fighter Jet - RC Groups
Dec 20, 2017, 04:49 PM
www.3d-flight.com
Discussion

3D Printed EDF Modern Fighter Jet

Hey All,

Have been working on this EDF fighter jet for a little bit and managed to maiden it yesterday. Really liked the way it flew until I lost attitude of the plane and crashed, but I figured some people might be interested in taking a look at it. From what I have been able to find online this may be the first printed modern style fighter jet so that's pretty cool.

Still working on testing the design, but when I am finished I will release the STL files.

Awesome 3D Printed EDF Fighter Jet | Crash! | 3D Flight (0 min 32 sec)

If you think you'll be interested in this in the future take a look at our website:
www.3d-flight.com

Some Specs:

Wing span: 30.5in
Length: 39.7in
EDF: Freewing 64mm EDF + 3500kv motor
Battery: 4s 1800 mah turnigy nanotech (want to run a slightly bigger battery next time but its what I had)
Flight Weight: 1200g

Thanks,
Rhys
Last edited by 3D Flight; Jan 04, 2018 at 04:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2017, 05:33 PM
yea grey isn't one of the most visible colors
On your next print try yellow with day glow orange tips.
Make it BRIGHT
Jan 04, 2018, 02:01 PM
www.3d-flight.com
Thanks for the advice cmulder. When I print another one at some point I will definitely take visibility into consideration.
Jan 04, 2018, 03:30 PM
Some details (what EDF, battery, wing span and all up weight) would allow a comparison.
I presume the crash was 'terminal' as far as the air frame was concerned.
Jan 04, 2018, 03:46 PM
Pix of the crashed Airframe would be interesting, to say the least.
The (only) printed model I've seen crashed, gave a fair impersonation of a dropped egg.
Just wanting to see a real view on the durability of a printed airframe
Jan 04, 2018, 04:22 PM
www.3d-flight.com
Sorry I didn't take any photos of the plane after it was crashed. Roughly 35% of the front nose was significantly damaged. I was able to recover the rest of the plane and just reprint the damaged pieces and assemble for the repair. Pretty simple.

A crash like that would have significantly damaged a lot of models
Jan 04, 2018, 04:27 PM
www.3d-flight.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorneng
Some details (what EDF, battery, wing span and all up weight) would allow a comparison.
I presume the crash was 'terminal' as far as the air frame was concerned.

Good Point on the details!

Wing span: 30.5in
Length: 39.7in
EDF: Freewing 64mm EDF + 3500kv motor
Battery: 4s 1800 mah turnigy nanotech (want to run a slightly bigger battery next time but its what I had)
Flight Weight: 1200g
Last edited by 3D Flight; Jan 04, 2018 at 04:34 PM.
Jan 04, 2018, 04:33 PM
www.3d-flight.com
Actually flew this the other day and got some raw footage of the "remaiden"

3D Printed Modern Fighter Jet First Flight | 3D Flight (3 min 6 sec)

feel free to check it out
Jan 04, 2018, 04:59 PM
pretty cool! I noticed on your website you have a picture of what looks like a p-40 warhawk with retracts but not listed under products. Is that a future model?
Jan 04, 2018, 06:24 PM
www.3d-flight.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee
pretty cool! I noticed on your website you have a picture of what looks like a p-40 warhawk with retracts but not listed under products. Is that a future model?
That is a future model I am working on currently. I actually have it flying and everything working correctly, I still have to do the build video for it though. May end up releasing it soon in a beta version (just no build video).
Jan 20, 2018, 03:34 PM
rip
What printer and material are you using?
Jan 20, 2018, 10:43 PM
WJH
WJH
B747-400 First Officer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Flight
Actually flew this the other day and got some raw footage of the "remaiden"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrYHghYtk-k

feel free to check it out
Your drone works, was there another point of this video? I like your speed racer design.
Last edited by WJH; Jan 20, 2018 at 11:00 PM.
Yesterday, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJH
Your drone works, was there another point of this video? I like your speed racer design.
I like the video. A cool way to record a flight in my opinion. I might just have fund a reason to remove the dust of my self built drone.
Yesterday, 09:32 PM
WJH
WJH
B747-400 First Officer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse
I like the video. A cool way to record a flight in my opinion. I might just have fund a reason to remove the dust of my self built drone.
Try watching the video on a cell phone!

Quick Reply