7. Scott Keating
8. Dave Millonig
9. Tom Boyd
10. Hank Goldin
Latest blog entry: The Big OpenTX Trim Mess
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2018, 02:48 PM

Mixed launch

I am very happy to announce that we are not only doing "mixed Launch" we are also going to be doing "Mixed Landings"
There is going to be separate landing tapes for Electrics, built ups, and foamies. The tapes will be the same length as our usual tapes, but the graduations will be 6 inches apart, compared to 3 inches, marked from 50 to 100 points.
Landings on these tapes will be no dork, and no skeg.
Electrics, builtups and foamies will have their scores normalized in one group, (dorkers will be normilized in a seperate groups), scores will be combined in the overall standings.
I am sure there will be growing pains, but with your cooperation, and input we can make this work, the goal here is to get as close as we can to a level playing field, and hopefully we can entice more participation in our contests.

Thanks
Raed
Jan 14, 2018, 05:57 PM
Raed

Hope you can rethink this as it will not work out for FSS scoring. If every pilot has the 'opportunity' for the same number of points in a round so that all pilots can be effectively normalized to the high score it would be OK. If you have to separately normalize two different groups I will argue against the procedure. We need to be consistent to keep the year end awards appropriate and not proliferate the number of awards to be given out.

We can talk :-)

Thanks
Rick
Jan 15, 2018, 06:31 AM
when I ran it in the scoring software. I did it as mom in two groups, pilots are normalized in their own group. The standings show the pilot scores combined, only thing I do different is assign the pilots to the corresponding group.
Jan 15, 2018, 09:28 AM
I understand that your scoring software allows this. But in terms of the FSS you are in effect running two different contests. My year end spreadsheet doesn't allow for two events on the same day. I could enter your normalized scores directly instead of the raw scores - But I think we need to get this OK'd with the FSS.

Rick
Jan 15, 2018, 10:39 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers

Scoring

Gentlemen,

May I toss in my opinion: Whatever the landing task is.... It should be consistent for ALL flyers. This is one of two areas where points are scored. (thermal duration is the other) There are no points for launch height. No points for style. And sadly no points for covering the most ground in a round... I'd probably score highest for that considering all the sink I keep trying to fly away from.....

While this is a contest, unless it is MoM, it is actually an individual test. A test of your performance to the tasks gauged against the performance of others performing the same tasks.
In essence you are competing against a "perfect score." Trying every round to score perfect duration and a precision scored landing.

If we introduce alternate landing tasks, then we can not compare one's performance to all others. If you end the contest day down 150 points from "perfect score" how would you measure your performance compared toothers who had different landing tasks? (Or as Jody, Jeff or Dillion might finish... What would leaving only 50 points on the table really mean?....)

Allow me to "paint" an extreme example. What if we all had 8 minute rounds... But the novices were given 100 points just for landing in the "circle" while everyone else had to measure and score on the tape.
And what if one novice had an exceptional day and made all his times to within 1 second. All his landings in the circle and we had 7 rounds?
He would score a perfect 7700 points contest. His score would be perfect yet his landings were never very precise. Would he really and fairly walk away from the contest feeling his performance was the best flyer there because he scored perfect? What of others who had to measure their landings out on our usual landing task tape. Surely they could not score 7 perfect 100's.. They would not score 7700 for the contest.. So how would we compare them?

I support the desires to test new / old landing tasks and totally agree it is the CD's call what type of contest he wishes to direct. I just want to stand on my soap box and ask for equality in the tasks of measure.

Thanks

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Jan 16, 2018, 04:43 PM
"Somebody step on a duck?"
And you still think that running two events (Unlimited and ALES) on the same day is too complecated??????
Jan 16, 2018, 05:39 PM
Thank you, early adopters.
Raed is trying his best to come up with a contest format that will make everybody happy and maximize participation, and I, for one, truly appreciate that. I'm skeptical that what he wants to do is even possible, but whether he succeeds or not, he deserves our gratitude for his effort.
Jan 16, 2018, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
Raed is trying his best to come up with a contest format that will make everybody happy and maximize participation, and I, for one, truly appreciate that. I'm skeptical that what he wants to do is even possible, but whether he succeeds or not, he deserves our gratitude for his effort.

Thanks Mike
Jan 16, 2018, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkiburis
And you still think that running two events (Unlimited and ALES) on the same day is too complecated??????
It is all complicated!
Cant wait to go back to basics...2 meter built ups and histarts :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Apr-14-15-2018
Raed
Jan 18, 2018, 05:59 PM
ʇsol
Last minute work project trickled in. Looks like I (Scott Keating) may be stuck with just Sunday. I'm hoping by saying that I'll reverse-jinx myself and it'll be cloudy both days, but I doubt it
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018
Jan 18, 2018, 06:06 PM
"Somebody step on a duck?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by raed5
it is all complicated!
Cant wait to go back to basics...2 meter built ups and histarts :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...apr-14-15-2018
raed
\\

gl+
Jan 18, 2018, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkiburis
\\

gl+
gl+++
Jan 19, 2018, 11:34 AM
Pompano Hills Flyers
I live in Titusville. It'll be great to see some old friends
Jan 19, 2018, 01:27 PM
Thank you, early adopters.
Hopefully we can set the hook. Be prepared to be put to work timing.

Quick Reply