pnc
pnc
Awesome job Arron.......
Where did you get the vac fittings
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2018, 10:31 AM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
They are threaded plastic 1/8 inch nipple on 3/4 pipe fitting. I cut the pipe threads off then grind some cross slots for air flow and then use tacky tape around the flange to seal to the bag (inside and out) . I will get you some pics.

I have tons of tubing from my last job so if you need some of that speak up. You cover the shipping and I will ship you 50 feet or so.
Jan 22, 2018, 10:56 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
Out of the vac and using clay to figure spar thickness for both the main and the drag spars It is very close in thickness from side to side. The slight differences might be in the skin thickness or maybe just poor measuring technique with my cheapo calipers. The biggest difference is .15 mm which may be a fluke as the next largest is .07mm. No big deal as I highly doubt I will be able to hand cut the vertical grain balsa that accurately.

What are you other home builders doing for spars?
Jan 22, 2018, 11:54 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
You need to use some of the stuff I'm using for spars. It's a lightweight epoxy putty that is just amazing as spars
Jan 23, 2018, 12:00 AM
Certifiable User
Looking great! NZ guys have been using "blue stuff" with great success. Spooner just found and tested this stuff and it seems to be equally good and way cheaper https://www.smooth-on.com/products/free-form-sculpt/

I've been using plywood for shear webs but am keen to try the putty

Of course wrapped or socked straws are still the go for drag spare.

Lee
Jan 23, 2018, 12:02 AM
Certifiable User
Oops Alex beat me lol
Jan 23, 2018, 09:49 AM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
Great info! Looking at the Free Form stuff I found that they also make a product called free form air that is 20% lighter than the free form sculpt so I ordered up 2 lbs of that to give it a shot. I will let you know how it goes.

Alex- I like you method of the glass/carbon wrapped straws (?) for the sub spars. That looks like a real winner and I am going to try that!
Jan 23, 2018, 09:51 AM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
Here is the link to the stuff I found in Walla Walla:
https://farwestmaterials.com/collect...ts/freeformair
Jan 24, 2018, 02:06 PM
pnc
pnc
Ordered some at smooth on hope it doesn't shrink too much
Jan 24, 2018, 02:59 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
mine will be here tomorrow! I'll let you know how it goes.
Jan 24, 2018, 08:09 PM
Fun fun fun.... bang
I used the Free Form Air stuff in my R30.... its hard as nails... doesnt shrink has a hardness of 50D, works awesome... from all the testing i did i could not find a different between the "freeform Air" and the 3M blue stuff....
Jan 24, 2018, 08:10 PM
Fun fun fun.... bang
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercando
Looking great! NZ guys have been using "blue stuff" with great success. Spooner just found and tested this stuff and it seems to be equally good and way cheaper https://www.smooth-on.com/products/free-form-sculpt/

I've been using plywood for shear webs but am keen to try the putty

Of course wrapped or socked straws are still the go for drag spare.

Lee
Thats the wrong one, you want the Air version...

This is what im using and its the shizz
https://www.smooth-on.com/products/free-form-air/
Jan 25, 2018, 11:04 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
so the free form air showed up today so I thought I would do a little test with it before I just slapped it in the molds and hoped for the best. First thing I noticed after I mixed it was that it just doesn't seem very "tacky" so I am wondering if it will bind together well with the dried skins.

For my test I put a small ball of the mixed FF air between two pieces of balsa and lightly squished together. On the next test I first gave the balsa a light bushing with mixed epoxy and then squished a small ball between them. We'll see which ones sticks better tomorrow.

This stuff is really light! If I don't have adhesion problems I see it working really well.
Jan 26, 2018, 01:37 AM
Caravan driver
I love your work but 'Cervix' ? I guess one can get used to anything but my first reaction to a moulded cervix was obviously as you can imagine
Jan 26, 2018, 01:51 AM
Fun fun fun.... bang
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarheadFlyer
so the free form air showed up today so I thought I would do a little test with it before I just slapped it in the molds and hoped for the best. First thing I noticed after I mixed it was that it just doesn't seem very "tacky" so I am wondering if it will bind together well with the dried skins.

For my test I put a small ball of the mixed FF air between two pieces of balsa and lightly squished together. On the next test I first gave the balsa a light bushing with mixed epoxy and then squished a small ball between them. We'll see which ones sticks better tomorrow.

This stuff is really light! If I don't have adhesion problems I see it working really well.

I found it low tac as well, I had a peel plyed surface and was tricky to get it correctly shaped but I can confirm it was well stuck to it when it dried

Quick Reply