Jan 03, 2018, 11:46 PM
pnc
pnc
Nice job Arron nice and thick should be good and stable for a bunch of wings ,Put me on your list please
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2018, 03:02 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
Sure thing Pete... maybe we could trade some mounts?
Jan 04, 2018, 07:18 PM
pnc
pnc
Sounds good to me
Jan 13, 2018, 06:08 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP

Gettin my polish on

So the molds are apart and the plug has been removed. Time for polish. I have identified several things I will change on the next wing mold and although these turned out far from perfect I think they will still make some pretty nice wings. Time will tell. Will polish today and make templates tomorrow and hopefully have the first wing out of the molds next weekend.
Jan 14, 2018, 04:48 PM
pnc
pnc
Wow you move fast I still need to finish polishing my wing molds
Jan 14, 2018, 05:57 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
It seems like it takes forever. I had some pinholes along the tailing edge that I didn't notice earlier so I have filled them in and now have to wait until it cures to continue with the sanding and polishing. In the meantime I have bagged up a new tail. New airfoil and a little smaller and thicker to hopefully make a stronger piece.
Jan 14, 2018, 08:21 PM
pnc
pnc
As soon as this autoclave is done I'm working on the slide now so I can slide the molds in and out of it but after it's done I'm going to lay up some wings I got to build Lee and Steven a couple we will see how my old layup skills do
Jan 14, 2018, 08:56 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
Autoclaving molds? Are they aluminum? Would like to see some pics or are you posting in another thread?
Jan 14, 2018, 11:08 PM
pnc
pnc
With these molds ATH and epoxy,just pressure but in the near future aluminum molds as soon as I get the drawings from Steven for the fuselage of the fps I will try the tool pathing on mastercam for the first time
Jan 14, 2018, 11:26 PM
pnc
pnc
It's just a pressure tank at this time with vaccum ports.
Last edited by pnc; Jan 17, 2018 at 02:28 PM.
Jan 18, 2018, 10:39 AM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
Polishing is almost complete and am now working on the layout for the internal components in the wing. Does anyone know what the hingeline for an HN 1038 airfoil is? Am thinking somewhere between 75 and 80 percent but am hoping someone has a more exact answer
Jan 18, 2018, 02:09 PM
A dream will find you

HN hinge line location...

There is no explicit hinge line location associated with HN sections Aaron. If you are thinking of the flap 'kink' associated with GT and Mark Drela, it's not there. 70-75% chord length will do you fine.

S2
Jan 18, 2018, 03:59 PM
Everything's A Compromise
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarheadFlyer
Does anyone know what the hingeline for an HN 1038 airfoil is? Am thinking somewhere between 75 and 80 percent but am hoping someone has a more exact answer
Personally, if this is a go-fast plane, I'd lean towards 80% just to assist in surface load and flutter reduction.
HQ sections use 78% so I reckon somewhere in that zone would be precise enough.

D.
Jan 18, 2018, 05:37 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
Thanks for your input guys! I knew it was a wise choice to not scribe the hinge line into the plug and make it part of the mold. It wont work well at 70% with my proposed servo layout and spar location. 75% is doable, but 80% will work great.
Jan 21, 2018, 09:36 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
Got a lot done this weekend. Finally finished polishing the molds. Waxed, PVAed, and the first set of skins is getting sucked down. Used inexpensive materials on this one and no balsa cores as I am more concerned with the fit of the patterns and the final product than I am with the weight.

I also got the new tail out of the bag and all sanded up. I got it fitted to the fuse plug for future changes to the fuse molds and I also got a plug for the rear end plug of the fuse.

Quick Reply