Dec 19, 2017, 04:04 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

1-Off 1/24 Losi 3D printed Drift Car

Hello All,

First post here on rcg, so might as well make it a good one

Truth be told I had gotten out of RC. But I am not entirely sure one can EVER really get out of the hobby. Things still stick around and lay in boxes hidden from sight. So a few weeks ago I picked up a 3D printer. Familiar with 3D modeling and 3D printing it got me rummaging through old boxes of what lay left of my rc collection. Low and behold I found my 1/24th scale losi trophy truck, brushless setup and servo. No 2.4ghz receiver or transmitter, or lipo for that matter.

Short trip on amazon and Ive got a Flysky Fs-gtC and a venom 30c 450mah 2s pack on route. It's still a work in progress, as this is fairly small and measurements are tricky and need to be precise, as well as scaled to account for Filament shrinkage during printing.

I am aiming for a rwd scale drift car.
Here is a slight teaser of what I have so far and what is coming, with specs on what I have changed over stock.

Chassis:
Lengthen and widened
Solid motor mount with under chassis fine adjustment
Front mounted servo, lipo and receiver
Rear mounted motor and esc
Redesigned front upper A-arms for 1,2,3 Deg camber adjustments
Redesigned Steering rods for Toe in/out Adjustment
Redesigned Shock Tower for inboard shocks
Upper Chassis Brace for regidity
Custom Rims for Offset
Custom Knuckles
Custom Servo Saver

The complete chassis was designed by myself, however the widebody BRZ shell was taken from a 3D warehouse. Although it might be less work for me to create my own. However, that is the look I am going for.

Getting some more progress done, Radio has come in, and electronics are all working, which is a nice thing to come back to after a few years out of the hobby. Here is what I have done so far..

Still working on front steering mechanism and tweeking solids to get the most steering angle.

Also started on some larger rims, designing to look similar to Volk 5 spoke deep dish to suit the Brz body.
Most notably upper chassis brace, receiver/antenna mount, esc and battery tray have all been completed.
Although it looks high, everything will sit under the shock towers.
Last edited by esavage92; Dec 20, 2017 at 02:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2017, 12:11 AM
Thread OP
Well got it all printed out and put together. Will clean everything up once the bonding agent cures the velco.
Dec 20, 2017, 01:41 AM
That's quite a first post ! Congrats.
I'll be watching this closely.
Dec 20, 2017, 01:58 AM
Thread OP
Just made some rims, test printing the hubs to test fitment (as the wheel 'hex' is a flatened cylinder). Here's a little teaser of the design.
Also got the bumper finalized with some 'break-points' to avoid any damage to the chassis.. (takes 1.5 hrs to print chassis while only ~20 for a bumper).

Noticed I cracked an upper A-arm, so I will beef those up and print som new ones. Fairly happy with the camber I designed into them.

Test drove it in the basement, good balance and impressive handling. Performs pretty well on power, considering its RWD on dusty floors.

New rims will stretch the tires to 1.5x the current width (ie 21mm) which im hoping equals more lateral grip.
Dec 20, 2017, 04:20 PM
Thread OP
Got the bumper printed, waiting for my rims to finish. Took the time to drive it around. Forgot how quickly this little guy gets up and goes around. I will post some side-by-side photos of the stock chassis and some measurements a little bit later.
Dec 22, 2017, 08:25 PM
Thread OP
Got the rims all finished off. What a difference in handling with the wider offset rims & stretched stock tires. Handles very well. Really happy with it. Time to start work on the body.
Dec 27, 2017, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
Working on designing a new steering mechanism, going away with the old sliding system in place of a bell crank mechanism. Also reprinted the chassis to capture the rear lower A-Arm pins. Have a set of old Road Rage 1/10th tires that I can cut in half width-wise then again circumfrence that can do all 4 tires. The stock ones are getting torn up quite a bit. Ill get some photos up later.

Also making progress on the BRZ body. Its quite a nightmare if anyone has done any 3D modeling then you know how difficult making things solid is..

Anyway, Hope everyone had a great Christmas!
Dec 27, 2017, 06:28 PM
Thread OP
Well the bellcrank is finished. Came out very nicely. No binding in the movement which is nice because there are no bearings Working on the chassis again with the integrated supports for the bellcrank. Once the steering is finished, I will probably call the project finished, and focus my attention on the body.
Dec 28, 2017, 07:23 PM
s15
s15
Nice dude! I haven’t ordered my anet a8 yet but I also plan on doing something similar. But in 1/64 scale. For rwd you have issues with doing drifts right? These new rwd chassis the steering angle is insane and is reason why there so good.
Dec 29, 2017, 01:51 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by s15
Nice dude! I havenít ordered my anet a8 yet but I also plan on doing something similar. But in 1/64 scale. For rwd you have issues with doing drifts right? These new rwd chassis the steering angle is insane and is reason why there so good.
What I have found out the hard way, printing small scale is VERY hard & tedious. It can be done, but it takes a lot of trial and error. A friend just got the Team Associated 1/18th apex, so Ive got someone to rip around with.

I got my tires mounted up, so im looking forward to trying them once I get it all built up. I think my servo is going, so I also ordered a couple of amazon, should be here in a couple days.

Im not really looking for accurate drifting, just would like to get the rear end to step out in a controlled manner, if its really that much of an issue, ill extend the drive shaft and go back to awd.
Dec 29, 2017, 02:27 PM
Thread OP
Well got it all up and running. Runs rather well, have to be easy on the throttle through the corners, the road rages dont hook up so well on my dusty cement floored-basement. Thinking about redesigning the top brace to place the esc and radio over the bellcrank to get some more weight frontwards. Here is how it looks currently.
Dec 30, 2017, 04:19 PM
Thread OP
Getting some work done on a body, trying out the Ariel Atom-esk body style just so that I have something to run around with while I work on the widebody Brz.
Dec 30, 2017, 06:30 PM
Heli's rule!
this is cool. I just got a 3d printer (opened it yesterday).... hope to do something like this one day...
Dec 31, 2017, 01:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
this is cool. I just got a 3d printer (opened it yesterday).... hope to do something like this one day...
Thank you, it's as equally rewarding as frustrating Haha. I've gone through many designs.
Jan 02, 2018, 01:03 AM
Thread OP
Well a little bit of an update here.

GOING AWD!

Yes, Im accepting the fact that for basement enjoyment and competitiveness against a 1/18th AE Apex I will have to convert to awd.

Currently configured, I cant even get to half throttle without the back end stepping out, and unfortunately its stopping me from being competitive.

Secondly for switching, is braking. Rwd is fun and all, but as we know electric motors act as a drag brake when throttle is released, letting off the throttle steps the back end out, and the car doesnt stop quick enough for me with only rwd.

So I have a few options here on how to convert it back to awd while still maintaining the stretched chassis.
1) order another drive shaft, cut and splice them
2) cut current shaft, add a section, then mate them again
3) fabricate a new male end of the shaft and attach it to current shaft.

Ive so far gone with the 3rd option, going to run it and see how it goes, if it can handle the power and is durable, I will run it as is.

Because of the awd I will need to slightly tweak the chassis.
Last edited by esavage92; Jan 02, 2018 at 01:13 AM.

Quick Reply