Jan 04, 2018, 10:23 PM
Electrons were young...
Quote:
Originally Posted by trubblman
Looks like the price is competitive with the Multiplex 300, Graupner Hottrigger or the QQEdge.
I should clarify.

When I look at it I see a motor that probably sells for $35, an ESC that is $35, and servos that are $19 each. Add to that another $25 for servo extensions, spinner, and prop so about $175 .

Ultimately I have so many of those things lying around that I wouldn't want to pay for them again. Knocking that off and selling a kit version for $135 shipped would make me take a look.

So the price isn't 'WAY' out there as I initially said. In the end it is all about having fun and flying what you like.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2018, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggiba
Are there going to be other color schemes?
Stephen from Hobby King said yes to other color schemes. Did not ask for a time frame however.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=16
Jan 05, 2018, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100
I should clarify.

When I look at it I see a motor that probably sells for $35, an ESC that is $35, and servos that are $19 each. Add to that another $25 for servo extensions, spinner, and prop so about $175 .

Ultimately I have so many of those things lying around that I wouldn't want to pay for them again. Knocking that off and selling a kit version for $135 shipped would make me take a look.

So the price isn't 'WAY' out there as I initially said. In the end it is all about having fun and flying what you like.
I reckon a plane like this will fly for one or two seasons before it gets wrecked - then we are expected to buy another one with a complete set of electronics that we could have salvaged from the old one. I refuse to keep on paying for parts I already have.

In a perfect world there would always be at least two versions of a plane - an "everything included" version for beginners and a "bare minimum" version for old hands.

Its almost as if the manufacturers just want to sell us stuff without any concern for waste or the environment.
Jan 05, 2018, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotsSummer
I reckon a plane like this will fly for one or two seasons before it gets wrecked - then we are expected to buy another one with a complete set of electronics that we could have salvaged from the old one. I refuse to keep on paying for parts I already have.

In a perfect world there would always be at least two versions of a plane - an "everything included" version for beginners and a "bare minimum" version for old hands.

Its almost as if the manufacturers just want to sell us stuff without any concern for waste or the environment.
Hobby King has a number of aircraft that are introduced as PNP (with electronics) and later available as kit (without electronics). (The Excalibur is the first that comes to mind. ) Their bottom line is making sales. If the customers request kit options in quantity that makes them money they will offer kit options - but not perhaps at first introduction. StephenHobbyKing has already stated in another thread "there will be other versions of this Extra!! "
Jan 05, 2018, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
Hobby King has a number of aircraft that are introduced as PNP (with electronics) and later available as kit (without electronics). (The Excalibur is the first that comes to mind. ) Their bottom line is making sales. If the customers request kit options in quantity that makes them money they will offer kit options - but not perhaps at first introduction. StephenHobbyKing has already stated in another thread "there will be other versions of this Extra!! "
Sounds good. I'll hang on to my money and hope for a basic kit version
Jan 05, 2018, 11:55 PM
All these new foam planes are killing me. The markets getting saturated with them, and now that they are getting close to the cost of what it is for a balsa ARF!!!!??? For a little bit more money I can get quite bit more plane. I can get a wonderful flying and proven PA, 3DHS, or Extreme Flight plane in the same size
Latest blog entry: New look to a old plane
Jan 06, 2018, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
StephenHobbyKing has already stated in another thread "there will be other versions of this Extra!! "
More of a future thing and not anytime soon.
Jan 06, 2018, 12:15 PM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wierda
All these new foam planes are killing me. The markets getting saturated with them, and now that they are getting close to the cost of what it is for a balsa ARF!!!!??? For a little bit more money I can get quite bit more plane. I can get a wonderful flying and proven PA, 3DHS, or Extreme Flight plane in the same size
You can get a ARF for that price but by the time you buy the servos,esc,motor your going to be triple that price. Every plane i price out i end up close to $700 or more depending on size of the plane this is a 56 inch wingspan. i fly 48" or smaller cause of cost
Jan 06, 2018, 02:02 PM
Learn and keep learning !
I agree with Epower
Jan 06, 2018, 02:28 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
What do you consider to be ďa little bit more moneyĒ?

If Iím spending near 300$ on an ARF, Iím not going cheap on gear. Even if youíre outfitting it with cheap gear, I donít think youíd come in under 500$.

For what looks to be a really smooth flying plane, I think itís priced pretty reasonably. Some folks are looking for something thatís ready to go out of the box and this satisfies that market. Iíve built a few 3DHS planes, and while they werenít difficult, the did take some time to build properly. While they did fly well, like a previous poster here stated, all came out to just shy of 700$ with solid gear.
Jan 06, 2018, 02:40 PM
Sorry if I rusled any feathers, I must be the only one new to the hobby that's already getting sick of the junk foam. foam to be is geat for a beginner that needs the ability for quick easy repairs, but the finish never holds up like monocote on balsa
Latest blog entry: New look to a old plane
Jan 06, 2018, 02:47 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Sorry if I rusled any feathers, I must be the only one new to the hobby that's already getting sick of the junk foam. foam to be is geat for a beginner that needs the ability for quick easy repairs, but the finish never holds up like monocote on balsa
Maybe youíve just been unlucky?

When I was flying IMAC I had a ParkZone Extra 300 that I used as a bit of a practice plane when I didnít feel like loading up the trailer. Flew surprisingly well for a foam airplane. Tracked well and had a high enough wing loading to carry through maneuvers. Flew larger than it was, if that makes sense. Wasnít really a 3D plane, but that wasnít what I was after with it. Looked great after a few years, too. Granted, I wasnít slapping it into the ground or being careless when traveling, so it wasnít subjected to much abuse.
Jan 06, 2018, 06:58 PM
Quote:
I'm with you on this one. I would rather put the money toward a nice balsa bird. If your new to the hobby and wreck often than I would think this bird has some advantages.
Jan 06, 2018, 09:16 PM
3d pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDisaster
What do you consider to be ďa little bit more moneyĒ?

If Iím spending near 300$ on an ARF, Iím not going cheap on gear. Even if youíre outfitting it with cheap gear, I donít think youíd come in under 500$.

For what looks to be a really smooth flying plane, I think itís priced pretty reasonably. Some folks are looking for something thatís ready to go out of the box and this satisfies that market. Iíve built a few 3DHS planes, and while they werenít difficult, the did take some time to build properly. While they did fly well, like a previous poster here stated, all came out to just shy of 700$ with solid gear.
I just finished my 3dhs balsa 61" build ..an extra 330 .. I'm right at about 800.00 including 2 6s batteries. So yeah around 700.00 to just build the plane.
Jan 06, 2018, 11:59 PM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Man FPV
I just finished my 3dhs balsa 61" build ..an extra 330 .. I'm right at about 800.00 including 2 6s batteries. So yeah around 700.00 to just build the plane.
Super nice planes for sure ive owned a few 3dhs ones. Right now i own a EF 48" Edge 540 but building even the 60" isnt cheap

Quick Reply