Dec 18, 2017, 10:19 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Contest

(date changed!) East Coast Spring F5J Festival 2018, April 14-15, Farmville, NC

Down East Soaring Society is pleased to announce the
1-st annual East Coast Spring F5J Festival!
  • This is an F5J USA Tour and Eastern Soaring League event and will be conducted in accordance
    with USA Tour rules and guidelines, and FAI F5J rules.
  • Each model flown must be equipped with an approved F5J limiter.
    Currently approved limiters are listed in this PDF file (see same file attached below)
  • Per USA Tour rules motor restarts will be allowed but will result in a zero flight
  • Camping is allowed on the field!
  • Field open for fun flying and warm-ups on Friday, April 6 13, 2018
  • F5J tasks on Saturday and Sunday, April 7-8 14-15, 2018
  • Expert and Novice (1st ever contestant) classes, awards for 1-6 places in Expert and 1st in Novice
  • Novice pilots (if enough novice pilots show up) will be flown as a separate group,
    outside of the overall classification, with lots of expert help from other pilots
  • Saturday and Sunday will be scored as one continuous event
  • Best 30% of pilots - up to the maximum of 6 pilots - will go into the Fly-offs
  • Entry fee $60
  • Shirts - $20
  • Lunch ($5 donation) on Saturday and Sunday
  • Pilots meeting 8:30am Saturday, 8:00am Sunday
  • Last preliminary round starts no later than 1:00pm on Sunday

Contest director - Oleg Golovidov.

Register here: East-Coast-Spring-F5J-Festival-2018 registration form

Pilot roster: East-Coast-Spring-F5J-Festival-2018 pilots

Google map of the field:

We will be posting more information as it becomes available.
Watch this thread for more announcements!

Last edited by olgol; Apr 02, 2018 at 09:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2017, 09:15 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Examples of the shirts that we ordered for our two last events (hand launch and F5J).
We will have something similar. A two tone shirt, from 'dry fit' polyester fabric.
If you have suggestions about the shirts (regular cotton instead of 'dry fit'? long sleeves? preferred color?) - post them here.

--
Dec 19, 2017, 10:08 AM
Looking forward to it. Long sleeve for all us older pilots with sun damaged skin.
Dec 20, 2017, 12:25 AM
Maarten
Signed up. Last fall this contest was lots of fun.
Mind you, this is a small flying field. Hopefully the bushes and trees near the LZ are trimmed this time as several pilots choose those as the landing spot.
These bushes were within < 75m of the landing tape and the crash landings still got points minus landing.
Personally I feel landing in a tree should be a zero. However, rules are rules.
Dec 20, 2017, 08:43 AM
Jesper Frickmann
Buck Beak may be flying this one

I am busy upgrading it to the 2.4 GHz age...
Dec 20, 2017, 10:01 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr1234
Mind you, this is a small flying field. Hopefully the bushes and trees near the LZ are trimmed this time as several pilots choose those as the landing spot.
These bushes were within < 75m of the landing tape and the crash landings still got points minus landing.
Maarten, thanks for signing up!

The bush trees on the south edge of the field are supposed to be removed by the farmer/owner very soon. We should have a clear approach airspace for the contest!
Dec 20, 2017, 10:01 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Jesper, Jim, sign up!
Dec 21, 2017, 07:13 PM
Service Engine Soon
I didn't know I lost my wallet until I went looking for my AMA # Found where I left it, so panic attack is over. All signed up and no reason not to have the Volo flying by then. I am,, working on it.
Dec 21, 2017, 07:20 PM
Service Engine Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr1234
I hope to make RI next F5J contest. I think Oleg and Dick may also. Its a long drive from NC but I have never been that far up north, on the east coast anyways.
Dec 22, 2017, 06:07 AM
Brady, RI is a great place to visit in the summer. The flying sites are just fantastic! The drive on the other hand can be a pain in the butt especially if you go all the way up on 95.
Dec 23, 2017, 09:43 PM
Maarten
Brady,
That would be awesome to have you guys come to RI. Its a long drive but we would welcome you as close friends.
Ours fields are indeed fantastic.
We might have two F5J contests! One on April 28 and another June 30. The June contest would be the best bet for weather etc.
In June we might organize some fun the Friday b4 the contest. F3RES?
Cheers Maarten
Jan 02, 2018, 10:50 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Bump!
Keep those registrations coming!
I sure hope we get a lot more than 12 pilots signed up!
Jan 09, 2018, 02:49 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Glad to see our Chicago pilots on board with us.

Ben, Frank, thanks for singing up!

Register here: East-Coast-Spring-F5J-Festival-2018 registration form
Pilot roster: East-Coast-Spring-F5J-Festival-2018 pilots
Jan 09, 2018, 04:12 PM
It will be good to see you again, Ben! Last time was the 2015(?) Nats. Glad you're making the trip!

Dave R.
Jan 10, 2018, 04:26 PM
Were hoping to have two more from Chicago my dad Rich and Robin. They won't know if they're able to go til it gets closer to the contest .
Frank

Quick Reply