Apr 15, 2018, 10:45 AM
Jesper Frickmann
Congrats to Brady! And well done, Martin and Marcel!!!

Oleg, how does that feel

Just ordered some servo frames and a new charger. It fried when I was discharging Buck Beak's battery. It really wasn't my day yesterday. But hopefully, I can give you a little competition in the fall contest

Jesper
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2018, 02:21 PM
Maarten
Nice flying by Marcel! Next time an expert.
Apr 15, 2018, 03:05 PM
Way to go Brady!
Apr 15, 2018, 03:18 PM
Rick Roberts
Marcel - Novice in 3rd place...sounds like someone else I know...

Great job!

Rick
Apr 15, 2018, 04:07 PM
Service Engine Soon
Saturday was difficult flying conditions for sure. It went this way.Group A max flights, Group B 2.45 best time and Group C max flights again.
I played it conservative all day trying to launch just shy of 200 meters. I was surprised each time I was over 200 and didn't think my altis was accurate .
There where only a couple flights that where low starts given I felt like I had a good read. But launching higher than most gave me more time to luck into lift.
I flew the Volo first couple rounds Saturday but switched to my trusty Xplorer when the winds picked up. Today, Sunday. I started with the Volo and fallowed noting lift to far off field not to make it back safely and had to motor save.
I switched back to the Xplorer anticipating the wind picking up but it didn't happen and instead became even calmer. So went back to the Volo next round. The conditions today where very lite down low at least and a strange wave up wind thing going on.
If we would have completed round 14 Martin would have had a good chance to take first as Oleg put a couple of minutes on me in group A.
It was really great to see Martin, Marcel and Jim fly so well. I was surprised to see Jim so far away. It took me a double take to figure out that was him out there.
And always a Great Job by Oleg CD ing the contest scoring, posting on RCG etc. He just had some bad luck this time.
Apr 15, 2018, 04:45 PM
Professional sink locator
What a weekend.
Congratulation to Brady, Martin, Marcel

Oleg as always did an awesome job as CD.

Thank you Kerry, Pete, and David for traveling to Farmville to fly in our contest.

The high light of my weekend was having Brady save my plane, yes literally save it.
On Saturday I was doing OK for me. I’m actually Sportsman in Expert clothing.
In round 4 I caught a huge boomer over the north east side of the field. This had been for the previous two rounds the place to go. Before too long I was at the limit of my comfort level for height and distance and was attempting to bring my Xplorer back closer to the field.

And then it was GONE…

I could not find it in the sky. Marcel was timing and spotting for me and he was telling me that it was inverted and doing loops. He wanted to grab my transmitter, but then I caught sight of it, I really wanted to save the flight.

And then it was gone AGAIN.

By this time Brady had finished timing for Dick and ran over and started giving me directions and telling me what the plane was doing, but I again couldn’t find it in the sky.
As he could see the plane and I couldn’t I finally thrust my transmitter into his hands. He said that it was in a nose dive straight into the ground. Another second or two it would be below the trees.

He was able to get it back in control and told me to give him some motor. He brought my Xplorer back over the field and landed it safely.

It’s such a sinking feeling when you loose sight of your plane and you cannot find it in the sky.

Thank you Brady, for saving my plane, and for being such a Great Mentor when flying with you.

That is a flight that I will never forget.
Apr 15, 2018, 04:59 PM
Yes I was surprised. Thanks to guys at DESS they brought me out of Novice. We had a great time camping, flew a lot and it was a BLAST.
As far as me beating Oleg ? He as a new plane . When he gets more airtime with the Volo he will be more dangerious. .
I want to thank him for the hard work being CD. I also learned you can't argue with the CD's call.
Good Job Bradi , Martin. !
Thanks to the guys who came to fly with us from far away
LASS next
Mid south I hope .
See you all soon
Marcel
Apr 16, 2018, 05:27 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Nice save Brady!... And congratulations!... You have always flown very well in the wind.
Apr 16, 2018, 08:03 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Thanks to all who showed up and enjoyed the contest (or rather braved the elements?) with us!
Especially to our long distance pilots!

In addition to wind making it difficult to fly, but also to manage the scoring/printing/displaying the scores, we had printer issues. Anything printed and taped to the tables eventually flew off... So it was impossible to print and display scores on the field regularly. Which did not allow for verifying the scores by the pilots.

We spotted a score entering error!
In round 2, Martin's and Duane's scores were not entered for some reason. I will issue an updated total score table later tonight after work.

My sincere apologies to Martin and Duane!!!
Apr 16, 2018, 08:14 AM
Oleg Golovidov
By my hand calculations, with adding the missing scores, both Martin's and Duane's total scores will increase, but the positions should not change. I will post the actual scores tonight.
Apr 16, 2018, 04:26 PM
I didn't get too much flying in on Sunday because I decided to park my new Kappa in the top of a 50ft tree. I think I got fixated on getting over the powerlines and didn't see the tall tree in front of my plane. Thank god you guys had that linesman pole! I totally thought I was going to have to drive home to get some climbing gear. ( I should probably keep that gear in the truck when attending these contests)

Saturday was big lift and big sink with a lot of turbulence down low. Had a lot of fun flying in those conditions. I didn't dare take any low launches on Saturday like some of the better pilots.

Really like the F5J format. Sign me up for the Fall contest!

Duane
Apr 16, 2018, 05:57 PM
Thanks to all for a great contest, especially Oleg for putting it together and running it. Thanks to everyone for all the help and encouragement. Can't wait till next time.

Jim Hunter
Apr 16, 2018, 07:42 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Well, I was wrong again...
In both cases, Martin and Duane, both changed their positions by one and two spots!
This means Martin becomes the winner of the East Coast F5J Spring Festival!
And Duane becomes the winner of the Novice division!

Again my sincere apologies for the incorrect scores...

All scores are in this google sheet, for your browsing interest.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

--
Apr 16, 2018, 08:06 PM
Service Engine Soon
Well burst my bubble but way to go Martin and I am still happy anyway! We will have to exchange Trophies soon.
Apr 16, 2018, 08:44 PM
MMR
MMR
Martian
Iíll take second any day - great group of pilots, challenging conditions and a bit of luck on my part.

I think other posts have just about covered all there is to comment about the conditions and the contest.

Hopefully everyone attending had fun - I know I did.

Thermals!

Martin

Quick Reply