This thread is privately moderated by Mad_angler1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 18, 2017, 06:46 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Thread OP
New Product

DJI Goggles Race Edition & Ocusync Air System Info & Review

A few weeks ago DJI announced the Racing Edition of the DJI Goggles, this new version has a large number of upgrades over the standard model, Analog 5.8 Ghz FPV support, 5GHZ Ocusync with Ocusync and Analog DVR recording, a redesigned visor and headband with red leather and expanded playback support to include MP4, MOV, MKV

Along side the updates Goggles for the first time DJI have release a standalone Ocusync Air System that consists of an end transmitter and 1.2MP Digital FPV Camera that allows users to add DJI’s Ocusync system to stream low latency video up to 7km in range on any craft

DJI Goggles Race Edition

The overall Spec is similar to before but with some very nice updates over the original model

Occusync Wireless connection to the Mavic Pro
USB Connection to Spark, Phantom 4, Phantom 4 Pro/Advanced and Inspire 2
5.8Ghz Analog FPV at any integer frequency between 5.650~5.925 GHz
In addition to the 2.4GHz digital transmission band new 5Ghz band
Redesigned the internal linear polarized omnidirectional antennas for improved Ocusync reception
External Pagoda antenna, A 5.8GHz single-frequency omnidirectional Antenna and a Circularly polarized (LHCP) antennas
Restructured radio communication strategy and video decoding algorithm to lower transmission latency to 50 ms
DVR Digital & Analog video on a Micro SD Card
Supports local video playback and Sphere pano viewing, allowing users to turn their head to get a 360° view of the Sphere pano
Fully compatible with the usual 5.8GHz FPV Bands ( A/B/E/F/C &Raceband) , up to 40 channels in total. It also receives up to of 275 integer frequencies between 5650~5925 MHz, in which Band C (Raceband) includes 8 channels and the channel interval is 27 MHz.

Inside The Box

The biggest change you will notice is the Goggles are now this very nice gun metal silver grey colour, they really do look very nice in this new colour especially with the red leather head band

Around the the back you can see the same setup as before with the adjustable optics and rubber face mask

The DJI Goggles have two 1080P high-resolution screens with an 85 degree FOV, they support Head tracking on DJI Models such as the Mavic,Spark and Phantom4/Inspire 2 series, they have a built in touch pad for changing settings and have multiple input methods such as Ocusync, Analog 5.8Ghz FPV, USB and HDMI input.

Removing the top layer of packaging exposes the headband with its new red leather cover

Once removed from the box you can see the overall size and shape of the Goggles is the same as before, on this side you can see the speaker and ports cover

Looking closely at the top you can see the new RP SMA connector for both the Analog 5.8Ghz FPV and the new Digital Air System, The SMA is moulded into the top, this now means you can use the DJI Goggles with most of the common FPV systems such as Fatshark and Raceband.

DJI state that when used with the Ocusync Air System that the Goggles Racing Edition use both the Internal antennas in the head band and the external RP-SMA antenna to get the best signal, this means that you should fit the Pagoda antenna at all times when using the Goggles.

Under the rubber cover you have the SD card slot, headphones/RC jack and HDMI input, the DJI Goggles when used with the Air System allow you to connect your none DJI Radio system to the googles via the trainer port to send your control signal over the Ocusync Digital Link, this prevents the systems interfering and allows for multiple users to fly at the same time

Moving on to the base you have the same optics adjustment as well as the enter and back button, these functions just like they did on the original Goggles

On the other side you have the power button and the touch pad as before

DJI have made some improvments to the headband, the facial pad has been redesigned for better fitment and comfort as well as having an all new red leather leather materials to make it even more comfortable to wear.

It uses the same stainless steel band to join the back adjustable section to hold the googles together and allows you to adjust for head size

As before the 9440mAh rechargeable battery is located in the back to give balance with the the integrated headband adjustment screw

The main micro USB port for charging and updating the firmware is located in the same place as before under the little rubber flap on the side, DJI do include a mains USB charger but you can use any USB source to charge the Goggles

In The Box

The Accessories include USB charger and Cable, Cable clip, HDMI Cable and RP SMA Adapter

Antennas

DJI have also included two RP-SMA Pagoda 5.8 GHz single frequency circular polarized antennas for the Analog and Digital FPV systems

The Software

Overall the software is very similar to before with the new features listed under 2 new menus, you now have

Racing Drone Analog for 5.8FPV

Racing Drone Digital for Ocusync Air End System

The Ocusync Air System Menu

Analog FPV Settings

Frequency control is available in both Manual or Auto tune modes

The New Goggles Race Edition Overall

The new updated DJI Goggles Race Edition a really great update, the colour with the red leather is extremely nice and the new analog compatibility means normal FPV users will suddenly get very interested in these Goggles, bulletin in DVR for both Analog and Digital is big new edition, the ability to use wireless systems like on the Mavic Pro or the new Air System looks fantastic on the 1080P screens too and the Air system brings some new options we have not seen before from DJI

The Complete DJI Goggles Race Edition Kit costs $859/£899 and includes the Goggles, Air System a Carry Case

The New Goggles RE are also available on their own too and both are available from the DJI store

You can find more info

http://click.dji.com/AMjx08RDK2VQyo0...m=link&as=0024

Please note this is an affiliate link

Next the Air System
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Jan 28, 2018 at 04:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2017, 06:47 PM
Thread OP
The New Ocusync Air System for DJI Goggles Race Edition

This is a standalone Ocusync system from DJI, it allows you to fit DJI’s digital wireless video and control system to pretty much any thing you like, Car, Plane or Multirotor this is a complete digital transmission system will transmit low latency video and control signal unto 7km and is specifically designed to be used with the DJI Goggles Race Edition.

Ocusync its able to transmit both control link and video over the same digital link, you simply connect your supported 3rd party radio directly to the goggles via the trainer port and the air end to your flight controller via PPM or SBUS and your ready to go, this avoids any interference caused by either system on the same frequency to give you a stable control and video link over great distance.

The system is also able to record your flight video directly on the Air End Module and/or onto the DJI Goggles for playback later.

The Air System

The Set consists of an Ocusync Air Unit, A Digital FPV Camera and Antenna Set.

OcuSync Video Transmission Module

The Spec

The OcuSync Video Transmission Module offers 2.4 and 5.8 GHz dual-band digital video transmission
Latency as low as 50 ms
Maximum control range of up to 7 km.
Up to 1280×960 HD transmission
Automatic Frequency-Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) transmission
12 Selectable Digital Video Channels
SBUS & PPM Control Outputs
MultiWii - MSP Compatible Telemetry
3S-4S Input

Looking Over the Unit Externally

Duel MMCX Antenna Connections on one side

Micro SD Card Slot for Recording onboard the Air Unit

Camera Input via a custom USB C port and Main Harness input for SBUS, UART and Power, the system supports connection to most common flight controllers such as most F3 or F4 based controllers, KISS or NAZE ext, basically any Sbus or PPM compatible controller, telemetry support is currently for MSP with some additional protocols to come in the future.

PPM Output and Micro USB for Updating Firmware

Size

Its size is 72 × 33 × 14 mm, W 43.7g, comparing its size to a standard 9g servo

Camera Module

The DJI OcuSync Camera has a 1/3'' CMOS Sensor with an effective 1.2M pixels, 2.65 mm, f2.0 lens giving a 148 degree FOV, it offers much higher resolution video transmission than most analog FPV on the market. It also uses a global shutter significantly reducing rolling shutter effect caused by high-frequency vibration.

It has 3 mounting post embedded in each side for fitment to the included bracket

Connection

It uses a custom USB C connector that is keyed to fit one way

Compared To Runcam

Its size is 29.4 × 28.2 × 22.6 mm and weights 18.2g, its a little smaller than a Runcam Swift when compared together

Included cables and antennas adapters

RC Control cables for attaching you existing radio to the Goggles to send control over the Ocusync system.

DJI Support the following radio systems for connection via the trainer port

X9D (Frsky),DEVO 10 (Walkera), T8FG (Futaba),T14SG (Futaba), WTF09sll (WFLY), AT9S (RadioLink) via trainer port

Antennas

Included in the kit are a number of Antennas so you can choose the ones that best suit your needs

Pagoda

There are two Pagoda 2.4Ghz antennas, one RPSMA and one MMCX Connectors that are recommended for racing

The MMCX Connector

Duel frequency cylindrical circular polarization omnidirectional antennas

These are for both 2.4 and 5.8Ghz use

These are covered in a flexible rubber cover for protection

Dipole antennas

For close up flight in both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz DJI have included this traditional omni sticks

The Complete Air End Kit

End

Overall I think this is a very nice package, the new Goggles RE are a big upgrade over the original model and the standalone Ocusync system is a real step forward giving us access to DJI’s wireless system in a small package for the first time.

The Complete DJI Goggles RE Kit costs $859/£899 and includes a carry case

The New Goggles RE are also available on their own too and both are available from the DJI store

You can find more info

http://click.dji.com/AMjx08RDK2VQyo0...m=link&as=0024

Please note this is an affiliate link

Over the coming weeks I will be testing this on multiple flight system such as the F3 and F4 based systems in both Quad and fixed wing, I will be updating this post as time goes one with more info and details on connections and setup ect on as many controllers as I can

Thank You.
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Dec 18, 2017 at 08:33 PM.
Dec 18, 2017, 06:48 PM
Thread OP

DJI Goggles Race Edition & Ocusync Air System Unbox & Look

Some updates on this

2 Very long reviews and an update Video

Dji Goggles RE Unbox and walk through

DJI Goggles RE - Race Edition Unbox & Review - Feature & Menu Walk Through (22 min 38 sec)

Dji Goggles RE Info update

DJI Goggles RE Racing Edition Update - More Info - Analog DVR - Antennas - Inspire 2 Head Tracking (8 min 13 sec)

DJI Ocusync Air-system Unbox, Setup and Walkthrough.

DJI Goggles RE Ocusync Air System Review & Info Setup With Betaflight + Inav (28 min 22 sec)

DJI Air System Head Tracking

DJI Goggles Ocusync Air System Head Tracking Setup & Info (3 min 38 sec)

Goggles and Air System Latency

Ok I have done some tests and I can say that on the bench the latency on the Ocusync system is what DJI are stating and it’s extremely impressive.

I have tested it in multiple ways and it showing the below

These are taken in 480P

Phone 03.80
Goggles 03.75
50ms

Phone 04.60
Goggles 04.55
50ms

Phone 05.05
Goggles 05.00

Analog Latency

Analog latency test vs Headplay HD, IMO DJI Goggles is a shade less

Below are two frames that proceed each other, you can see that the both display at the same point, but the Dji Google’s look to be ahead a very little so less lag but this is very small, also see the video for your own decision.

Frame 1 just his start

This is the next frame

The video is below, to confirm this is Analog Speed Test compared to Headplay HD

DJI Goggles Analog lag demo vs head play HD (1 min 27 sec)
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Mar 11, 2018 at 04:48 AM.
Dec 18, 2017, 06:48 PM
Thread OP

Brackets for Air System

I have created some brackets for the Air system.

The first is an QR fracked for the Air unit so you can simply clip it in and out, the second is antenna stand for the MMCX Pagoda antenna when used with the extension cable, and finally the 3rd is an camera bracket that gives it some additional protection over the supplied one.

These are available on Thingiverse here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2739234

Some Pictures attached
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Dec 30, 2017 at 08:16 PM.
Dec 18, 2017, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the Fish
Very nicely done Mad. Did you get the M2*3mm screws to mount the camera to the supplied mount?
Dec 19, 2017, 03:32 AM
Thread OP
No not in my Kit Ed.
Dec 19, 2017, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the very informative review, I was hoping the air unit would be usable without having to buy the goggles by using just the Mavic controller and Smart phone, ie control the FC with the air unit SBUS out and mavic controller to fly and view with but its not to be I would have sold my prosight and bought the air unit but having to buy and use DJI goggles kills it for me, pity it looks like a terrific HD solution.

I look forward to reading about your testing when you get the time.

Cheers

Brian.
Dec 29, 2017, 08:44 PM
Thread OP
Videos added
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Dec 30, 2017 at 08:16 PM.
Jan 29, 2018, 11:47 AM
I have done some searching on here but can't find anything about this...

Is there ANY way to use this for control and video using an Eagletree Vector for flight and OSD? It so far seems the only OSD that will work is whats built into BetaFlight if the F4 etc support it, so I assume iNAV might work for control.

Really want to use this on a wing but need to have GPS and flight modes and OSD.
Jan 29, 2018, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanflyer View Post

Is there ANY way to use this for control and video using an Eagletree Vector for flight and OSD? It so far seems the only OSD that will work is whats built into BetaFlight if the F4 etc support it, so I assume iNAV might work for control.

Really want to use this on a wing but need to have GPS and flight modes and OSD.
It appears to have SBus connection. You will have a control link through the goggles and your RC connected to the goggles. However, you will not have OSD at least that is the way I am reading the specs.
Jan 29, 2018, 03:12 PM
Thread OP

DJI Goggles Race Edition & Ocusync Air System Info & Review

Quote:

Vector will work fine as I have 3 but again you will not have the built in OSD, you will have control via Sbus and Video via the DJI Camera, as it stands you would have no telemetry with Vector though, John did say there was Mavlink support coming but not seen it and I have not spoken with him for a while.

Blade has said that Mavlink is coming to the Air system so if both get it then you will get telemetry.

You can use this with any F.C. that supports Sbus and telemetry output via MSP, I have a video on YouTube specifically looking at this with Inav and betaflight.

The thing to remember is this will never use the built in osd on a flight controller it simply takes telemetry output via MSP
Jan 29, 2018, 06:17 PM
That makes sense I guess.. wish it was different.... makes it impossible to fly vector based stuff for longer range flights as there is no way to know what mode and position etc you will be in. I only have 1 bird with that setup so not a big deal.
Jan 29, 2018, 06:23 PM
Additional question that I also couldn't find the answer to.. can these be used as VR goggles? They have all the things needed with HD screens and headtracking etc.. would be awesome if they could be connected and used for VR. Just trying to justify the cost.. lol.
Jan 29, 2018, 06:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
That makes sense I guess.. wish it was different.... makes it impossible to fly vector based stuff for longer range flights as there is no way to know what mode and position etc you will be in. I only have 1 bird with that setup so not a big deal.

Quote:
Additional question that I also couldn't find the answer to.. can these be used as VR goggles? They have all the things needed with HD screens and headtracking etc.. would be awesome if they could be connected and used for VR. Just trying to justify the cost.. lol.

Completely understand the Vector is an outstanding controller, this is going to be a change we see as we move to digital systems for FPV and your not able to get a video feed through the controller.

Hopefully there will be a lot more options coming soon on the Air system that will make people more happy to switch.

As for VR they support DJI 360 Pano but nothing else on that side.
Feb 25, 2018, 04:54 AM

Osd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1 View Post
Vector will work fine as I have 3 but again you will not have the built in OSD, you will have control via Sbus and Video via the DJI Camera, as it stands you would have no telemetry with Vector though, John did say there was Mavlink support coming but not seen it and I have not spoken with him for a while.

Blade has said that Mavlink is coming to the Air system so if both get it then you will get telemetry.

You can use this with any F.C. that supports Sbus and telemetry output via MSP, I have a video on YouTube specifically looking at this with Inav and betaflight.

The thing to remember is this will never use the built in osd on a flight controller it simply takes telemetry output via MSP

Hello Ok the FC will work with the eagle tree but not the OSD ...so would it be possible to cut the line between cam and ocusync than connect the line on OSD in and from there to the Ocusync modul? like the notmal videooverlay in FPV?
Thanks
Johann

Quick Reply