Dec 18, 2017, 03:53 PM
Discussion

DX 9 Glitches????

Hi,
I'm pretty new to the hobby and am wondering if I may have a radio problem, and have had a number of unexplained crashes.

A bit of background:
Radio, new Spektrum DX9 purchased june 201
Receivers - all Orange - mostly 9 channel models early on I was flying a radian and had no issues.
I then bought a number of other planes to advance.
The first was an Angel F3A (from Hobbyking) It was built, the setup checked by and a maiden arranged with a super experienced club member (ex airforce crash investigator)
He took it up all was going well for the first 60 seconds when he suddenly said he had no control and the plane dived straight down and was written off,
2 weeks later the same thing happened with another plane (Durafly Bravado) - same pilot
In each case the plane was flying new receivers, new batteries.

Everything went Ok for a while, then the same thing happened whilst I was flying a Waco - no control, spiral in to the ground - this time me flying - I had successfully flown it quite a few times....

At this time I completely lost confidence and gave up flying for 8 months or so.

I bought a new Radian, and this has flown perfectly every time - new model with pre fitted Spektrum RX.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Night Walrus - orange receiver. First few flights were great, the one day complete loss of control for maybe 7 or 8 seconds. Got it down as control came back - height saved me.
Rechecked everything, moved antennas just in case. Flew for another week or so all great. This morning, Up I went, got some altitude and flew around, then a loss of control. Saved it, decided to bring it down, another loss of control, came back, saved it, then about 20 feet off the ground another loss of control &^*^^*^^*. Came back 3 feet off and I just managed to put it down without damage in some very long grass at end of the runway.

I always check the batteries, I always range test before a flight, and I always check controls are going the right way.

At this point I'm just about ready to give up and get a new hobby. I'm a retired pensioner and can't afford to have every plane crash on me. Yes I know they do for everyone, but not without explanation. I have some fabulous mentors who are stumped (crash investigator, ex national pylon racing champion etc.) These crashes are just going in to the too hard basket!!

Interestingly a friend who started flying using an old DX6 with which he never had a problem, has also lost 3 planes without explanation since he changed to a DX9.

I don't want to start a flame war - I'm just after answers/suggestions. Could there be some issue with the DX9, or with the Orange receivers? Have I potentially just happened to get a dud?

cheers
Gary
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2017, 04:12 PM
orange RX sucks. most die soon, some take a while. if you have issues, blame the orange rx.....

and if it works fine for you, buy a lottery ticket
Dec 18, 2017, 05:06 PM
Orange rx, there's your problem.
Dec 19, 2017, 06:01 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmck
Receivers - all Orange
I almost stopped reading right there....
Quote:
I bought a new Radian, and this has flown perfectly every time - new model with pre fitted Spektrum RX.

You learn well Grasshopper.

You should change the title of the thread to "OrX Rx's seem to fail"

Carry on flying your Actually Fully Compatible Spektrum Rx's and get back to us how it goes.
Dec 19, 2017, 06:33 AM
If you want to save money on receivers, and like fruit, lemons are much better than oranges.
Dec 19, 2017, 07:09 AM
Ok,
I've taken a plane that had several glitches - the Walrus. Taken out the Orange Rx and fitted a Lemon Rx. If I have issues I'll get a genuine Spektrum and try it out....
cheers
Gary
Dec 19, 2017, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis
If you want to save money on receivers, and like fruit, lemons are much better than oranges.

Best to avoid translucent citrus fruits IMHO. The snag is there are plenty of spektrum clones on auction sites so you never know what you're getting.
Dec 19, 2017, 09:12 AM
No bounce, No play.
Right on the clones. If it has no retail package and price is too good to be true......likely clone.
Dec 19, 2017, 12:44 PM
Having flown only the genuine Rx since the first Dx6, I have never had a rxfailure
However I have had Esc failures which shut down the Rx s
These are tricky to determine sometimes.
I use d the flight recorder which shows a reset if power fails
Power failures from bad esc set ups and poor batteries are the most common causes
Last edited by richard hanson; Dec 19, 2017 at 12:51 PM.
Dec 19, 2017, 12:49 PM
No bounce, No play.
Get some good Rx's and do all orientation range tests before flying.
Jan 05, 2018, 06:53 PM
further to this issue:

The same failures have now occurred using the Lemon rx's, and my one Spektrum genuine rx has now started to fail range tests. So now I have failures with 3 different brands of RX. The failures used to occur randomly, but now occur nearly every flight. After nearly losing a glider with me on the controls, and then the most experienced member of my club nearly losing it on the next flight with total loss of control, I'm convinced it is the Tx, so I'm going to bin it. I could not on sell it with a clear conscience. I rang the Australian distributors to enquire about testing and repair, gave them the full story, that it appeared faulty from new, but was 6 months out of warranty. It would have cost me $50 freight both ways, $35 for them to test the radio, and up to $160-$180 for the repair. This is approaching half what I paid for the radio, and more than it would cost to buy another brand (FRSky) new Tx. I think you can guess which option I'm taking. Will be a pricey process replacing all my Rx's, but I no longer trust the Spektrum line of equipment. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
My one real regret is that since I started flying 18 months ago, I always assumed I was a crap pilot and was crashing planes due to my poor skills (despite 2 planes being lost on their maidens with someone else being at the controls). I should have suspected the Tx earlier and gotten it fixed whilst still under warranty. I have a tendency to always assume I ****** up :-) rather than having equipment problems.
cheers
Gary
Jan 05, 2018, 06:56 PM
How much you want for it? Lol
Jan 05, 2018, 07:16 PM
Quote:
... I'm convinced it is the Tx, so I'm going to bin it. I could not on sell it with a clear conscience.
WHY!!?!! Let the Service guys work their magic. Sell it to somebody explaining that you didn't have success and didn't want to send it for Service, and THEY can send it for service. Or they can use it for parts.

There's nothing wrong with your transmitter that can't be fixed.

Andy
Jan 05, 2018, 07:30 PM
I don't mean to sound harsh but i still think too little info to conclude the DX9 and Spektrum is at fault here. Chances of getting a faulty radio? yeah sure, these things happen like with any product we buy, chances of two DX9's being bad at the same field?, i'm not buying that i'm afraid.

Have you seen your friends rx installs?
What were yours like?
Pass range check with the model off the ground at least a meter?
Genuine failsafe? ie: throttle went to zero? (if set and bound correctly)
ESC providing enough umph the the rx?

Even though many more people find success with Lemon rx's, i still question theirs, and any other aftermarket rx, of the true 'compatibility'. Ive tried a few, one worked well enough in a 1m dlg, the other didn't pass range check.

Still, you could genuinely have a faulty radio, no real need to jump ship though, get it checked and/or repaired. The grass isn't greener on the other side. Might look it, but it can still quickly turn brown and manky leaving you with bald patches.
Last edited by i_am_mark_evans; Jan 05, 2018 at 08:22 PM.
Jan 05, 2018, 08:02 PM
just out of curiosity I've just opened the tx to have a look. Is there supposed to be a wire that is not connected to anything in it - see pic top right
cheers
Gary

Quick Reply