More good news on the electric car front - RC Groups
Dec 18, 2017, 12:47 PM
Discussion

More good news on the electric car front

Looks like other manufacturers are starting to up their game in the electric car market. Toyota, who spent billions on hydrogen, is finally coming to terms with the advantages of battery power. They have announced 10 new BEV's.

https://electrek.co/2017/12/18/toyot...ric-car-plans/

Honda needs to step up to the plate. They have a cool looking electric car coming but they need to expand their plans. It looks like an old school civic.

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/1...inutes-by-2022

BMW just announced investment in solid state batteries. Toyota has invested in it as well and claims to be shooting for as soon as 2020. Solid state will be a game changer I believe.

https://electrek.co/2017/12/18/bmw-s...electric-cars/
Latest blog entry: Finally! AoA Video
Dec 18, 2017, 02:23 PM
Really?
Electric cars are definitely a thing.
Dec 18, 2017, 02:44 PM
Alarm Bells Softening!
In the US in 2016 there were 159,000 EV sales, with Tesla at the top with 29,421. Another 17,300,000 vehicles were sold.

For EVs to become more than a trivial amusement "thing", their price with no subsidy has to fall below ICE vehicles. And 500 mile ranges become the standard. Then everyone will be buying them.
Dec 18, 2017, 02:50 PM
It's coming Bigfoot. Sooner than you think
Dec 18, 2017, 02:52 PM
Not arguing here, but don't rare element battery ingredients come mainly from Africa?
And... Isn't Russia trying to corner African rare element output?!

SBSAM
Dec 18, 2017, 02:54 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
I think hydrogen will be the best solution overall but I don't think we are quite there yet at a proper price point.
Dec 18, 2017, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchBuildrSAM
Not arguing here, but don't rare element battery ingredients come mainly from Africa?

SBSAM
Actually a lot of them come from China. Afghanistan also has deposits of rare earths, which might explain the U.S. interest in that country.
Dec 18, 2017, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492
I think hydrogen will be the best solution overall but I don't think we are quite there yet at a proper price point.
I would be willing to bet you it won't be. I think hydrogen is a dead end.
Dec 18, 2017, 03:21 PM
Quote:

SBSAM
Apparently a lot of lithium comes from south America and Nevada.
Dec 18, 2017, 03:22 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda466
I would be willing to bet you it won't be. I think hydrogen is a dead end.
Maybe. It's benefits far outweigh that of electric but if they can't get the pricing right then it won't matter.
Dec 18, 2017, 03:23 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:

SBSAM
search for the "cobalt cliff"
Dec 18, 2017, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Hydrogen infrastructure is waaaaay more difficult to build out than electricity. Also you have to make hydrogen, transport it, store it ect. It makes no sense. Solid state will kill it completely and lithium batteries are already killing it slowly.
Dec 18, 2017, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock
Looks like other manufacturers are starting to up their game in the electric car market. Toyota, who spent billions on hydrogen, is finally coming to terms with the advantages of battery power. They have announced 10 new BEV's.

https://electrek.co/2017/12/18/toyot...ric-car-plans/

Honda needs to step up to the plate. They have a cool looking electric car coming but they need to expand their plans. It looks like an old school civic.

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/1...inutes-by-2022

BMW just announced investment in solid state batteries. Toyota has invested in it as well and claims to be shooting for as soon as 2020. Solid state will be a game changer I believe.

https://electrek.co/2017/12/18/bmw-s...electric-cars/
What needs to be done is figure out a way to build and dispose of the EV's that's not so polluting.
Dec 18, 2017, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Maybe. It's benefits far outweigh that of electric but if they can't get the pricing right then it won't matter.
Why waste all that energy making hydrogen? You could just put that energy into a battery and use it right away. It makes zero sense.
Dec 18, 2017, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran
What needs to be done is figure out a way to build and dispose of the EV's that's not so polluting.
The batteries are recyclable and the rest of the car is too. They are better over all with respect to recyclability than gas cars. I suspect they will get better over time too.

Quick Reply