1 Tip for New Beginner RC Boat Captains - Page 5 - RC Groups
Dec 28, 2017, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave
That's cheating. Anybody can sail when there is wind. The real skill is sailing when there is none.

Unless you are making a scale type boat, aux power is not needed. And often ruins the delicate balance of the boat your putting it in. I've never had to rescue a boat due to loss of wind. It never gets that calm, that fast, that a boat gets becalmed to the point you need to power it back in. Now if you sail in a river with a current, common sense should prevent you from sailing under conditions which may lead to loss of the boat. And then, you're far better off with a separate power boat, or one of the other retrieval methods.

Dave
A boat with a couple of pounds of lead in the keel does not have a "delicate" balance. And sometimes the wind kicks up while you are sailing which then upsets the boat to the point of taking on water. Furthermore, sailing in ponds often leads to running into underwster reeds that snag the keel.
There are more reasons to add a motor but here are some.
Also, everyone is entitled to offer suggestion in this kind of thread which may certainly have counterpoints but does not deserve to be attacked.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2017, 01:07 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Sorry. No attack intended. More of a good hearted poke. My apologies if my comment was taken differently than intended.

I've seen sailboats that have been modified to have aux power, usually done by non sailor type people, and the end result was mostly cringe-worthy. A 05 can motor, esc, 6 cell stick pack and a high speed power boat prop on a Soling 1M comes to mind. You could water ski behind it. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some nice ones, too. Even I have a scale schooner that has aux power. Works great. But I have a dozen other boats from the tiny Benneteau (24") to a Vanguard J (86") and none have motors.

Dave
Dec 29, 2017, 08:57 AM
As I get older and am in constant pain from bad knees I get touchier, Dave.

I lost my first sailboat because the wind kicked up and laid her over so she took on water. That water kept shorting out the battery so she would just run around in circles on the pond, taking on more water. Eventually the aft end got so full she pitched up and then went straight down, just like in the movies. When I built my second boat, a 30 inch, around 5 pound boat, I put in a small electric motor and drive kit from Dumas made for 24 inch hydros with its own separate 4 cell alkaline battery. I had a simple servo controlled switch that would also switch the alkaline battery in parallel with the NiCd main set to boost receiver voltage as well as power the motor. At full speed she was still slower than sailing speed but would get me back to shore. Funny thing about that receiver was that when the voltage dropped the servos would go hard to the low end. That would not only turn the port to port but would also activate the motor switch.
BTW, I have now replaced that funky switch setup with a 4 cell, high capacity NiMH main battery powering everything and a cheap ESC for the motor. And I have a new radio system that provides receiver battery info so I won't run low.
Jan 03, 2018, 12:55 PM
Big Boats Rule!
It's a shame to loose a boat. I've never lost one, but I've sunk a couple. Every model has the potential for failure, and all you can do is minimize your chances. Every option is a risk vs reward proposition.

Dave
Jan 06, 2018, 11:00 AM
I only run electric boats and thankfully on a lake designed for racing boats so you usually have access from all points along the shore. On the off chance that something happens, the boat usually floats to shore. During races they have a rescue boat and someone goes out to get the boat in question. As for what to do before going out. Check the prop nut, cooling lines and batteries in your Radio and the boat as well. Turn on the boat before putting in the water and make sure it works. I can't tell you how many times I've seen everything turned on and the boat tossed in the water to watch it float out with no power... Blows my mind. Another thing I do is just slowly drive around near shore slowly making sure everything in functioning. Then go out into open water and have fun.
Jan 11, 2018, 11:54 PM
Don’t go out too far with your boat.
Jan 13, 2018, 06:32 PM
OB Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
2 Words:

Corrosion X
Spray the RX and servo's about twice a year with CRC 2-26, which does the same work.

If you build and use CA, chances are you will get sticky fingers. CA works on porous items, including your dry hands. Instead of using harsh chemicals to remove CA from flesh, use body lotion. Could take a day or two to get rid of it all. Oh yea, use eye protection! Spent some time in ER while they used saline to remove it from my eye!
Jan 15, 2018, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgburrill
At the top of this page today is a $29 boat kit called the Tugster sold by zippkits.com. Looks like great recovery boat and it's cheap.
Yea I agree with you, I recently purchased the Tugster single screw for recovery purposes. First motorboat build ever. Iím impressed with the simplicity and functionality. Works very well for the purpose, and itís fun to see the people at the local park get excited about a cartoonish tugboat milling about.
Jan 15, 2018, 08:19 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways

Learn and Practice

What ever boat a NEW Skipper Maidens,.... HANG in there n Don't give up the ship,!! (if your 1rst time wasn't what you expected). The first time is not always the "charm" for a GREAT many of us here on RCG. The BUEATY of model boats n modeling in general is the fun you have making these "miniatures" (look and)) Behave like the real thing,!! Ask your club mates for advice/help/ etc.,... if one is available or better yet,.. ask someone HERE (RCG),!! The MORE you learn the better Capitan you will be,!,... So Sayeth YODA , and Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Last edited by haxawsnavy; Jan 15, 2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Changed some puntuation/ emoji
Feb 04, 2018, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor777
Yea I agree with you, I recently purchased the Tugster single screw for recovery purposes. First motorboat build ever. Iím impressed with the simplicity and functionality. Works very well for the purpose, and itís fun to see the people at the local park get excited about a cartoonish tugboat milling about.
Wow.. best looking version of that boat that I have seen so far. Impressive! Now you just need SpongeBob SquarePants sitting in the cabin.

I have a couple of spare Futaba radios, so this kit seems to be a wonderful low-cost solution for a recovery boat.
Feb 04, 2018, 04:19 PM
If you were to work on it, you could build a nice "scale" model from that kit.

This boat is scratch built in 1/24 scale, on a Micro-Glass fiberglass hull. But, something similar could be done on a wood or vac-u-formed plastic hull.
Feb 17, 2018, 10:37 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
If you're adding your own design electrics such as lighting, sound system etc....or use a component or something from a little known source..do yourself a favor and draw a schematic or write a list as to what was used and where you found/bought it and stash the drawing /note in the boat somewhere-maybe in an old film canister(what's that?) Take it from a guy who knows first hand that in 20 or 30 years you or someone will be happy you did!

Quick Reply