1 Tip for New Beginner RC Boat Captains - Page 3 - RC Groups
Dec 21, 2017, 03:08 PM
One more: You are likely wearing heavy clothing when you go boating. So if you jump in to rescue your boat it ain't like swimming in a pool in your swimsuit.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2017, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro Bodine
Its also a good idea to get a I.R. themometer to check electric components (esc,motors,lipos) for excessive heat when running , this piece of equipment will save $$$ in the long run.
+1!!! I started without one, and quickly realized the "finger method" wasn't going to work after I scalded my finger once
Latest blog entry: Live chat room
Dec 21, 2017, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGAux26
One more: You are likely wearing heavy clothing when you go boating. So if you jump in to rescue your boat it ain't like swimming in a pool in your swimsuit.
I think we have determined it's not a good idea to jump in regardless if you're wearing clothes or not
Latest blog entry: Live chat room
Dec 21, 2017, 05:31 PM
Deckineer at large
Tugboats dont need to, nor do they, go mach one.
Dec 21, 2017, 06:02 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova55
Tugboats dont need to, nor do they, go mach one.
Nope, but that doesn't stop 'em from trying....

https://youtu.be/EUmnGrvVdpc?t=17s
Dec 21, 2017, 07:24 PM
Fast electric boats maybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
+1!!! I started without one, and quickly realized the "finger method" wasn't going to work after I scalded my finger once
Hurts dont it, yep I did the same as you Panhead
Dec 21, 2017, 07:30 PM
Fast electric boats maybe
I thought of another one, the silver or SS grub screws that come with all boats stock, do yourself a huge favor and get hardend black-iron grub screws you will thank me later.
Dec 21, 2017, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGAux26
All we had on was shorts and T-shirts. Sometimes at the end of the day we'd all strip down and swim together for a bit. We always looked a little funny going to Dairy Queen with our wet underwear showing through our shorts

Andy
Dec 22, 2017, 02:15 PM
Cram all empty space inside the boat that you can with expanding foam, which will cause the boat to float even if it fills with water.
Dec 22, 2017, 02:35 PM
You have never owned an r/c tug!
There is absolutely no way I could get enough flotation, in any of my tugs. That is why I build them so they can run "decks awash", or in the rain. As both conditions are common, if you regularly run model tugs.
Dec 22, 2017, 03:43 PM
Just Plane Nutts
I think its time to change the name of this thread from "1 Tip..." to "Tips..."
Dec 22, 2017, 04:36 PM
Team Legit pilot & DFWC Prez
Know which way the wind is blowing and launch from a location where your boat will blow back to a you if it dies
Dec 22, 2017, 07:53 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by represent
Know which way the wind is blowing and launch from a location where your boat will blow back to a you if it dies

...or at least make sure the area of shoreline where it might get blown towards has accessibility to water. I have few choices of launching locations where I run boats, so I pick an area where the downwind banks aren't too steep to walk down to retrieve a stray boat without slipping and falling in. I have experienced a few locations where that was not the case, .....and the water was cold, I can say with personal experience and confidence...
Dec 23, 2017, 12:53 PM
Resistance is futile
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandetlol
Cram all empty space inside the boat that you can with expanding foam, which will cause the boat to float even if it fills with water.
NOT a good idea! expanding foam can damage your boat. Most people don't realize how much it expands and they put WAY too much in. The foam expands to point where it breaks apart joints and creates more problems. A safer way to increase floatation is to use blocks of Styrofoam cut to shape.
You can also use Ping-Pong balls if there is enough space.
Latest blog entry: Ever drive through your house?
Dec 23, 2017, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB
You have never owned an r/c tug!
There is absolutely no way I could get enough flotation, in any of my tugs. That is why I build them so they can run "decks awash", or in the rain. As both conditions are common, if you regularly run model tugs.
Ditto.

My Dusseldorf will come in at nearly 20lbs.

Its getting bilge pumps.

Also, I used expanding foam on one boat and will never use it again.

Its heavy and can deform the hull.

I use those packing pillows now.

Quick Reply