1 Tip for New Beginner RC Boat Captains - Page 2 - RC Groups
Dec 19, 2017, 10:49 AM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways

Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum444
TX (transmitter) turned on first; then the RX (receiver).
Do the above and CHECK it all WORKS BEFORE putting in,....
Then when your done taking boat out of water do the reverse of this. Turn Receiver( RX) in boat OFF first THEN the Transmitter (TX) (radio) OFF. These procedures ensure the boat gets direct signal from you rather than a rouge run away boat from an errant signal being picked up.! This is a BIGGY n should be done for ALL RC vehicles,!!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Last edited by haxawsnavy; Dec 19, 2017 at 11:01 AM. Reason: added text
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2017, 03:21 PM
Do preventative maintenance so you don't have to spend money down the road. A few examples:

If your radio receiver isn't waterproof, waterproof it. It will get wet eventually and ruin it

ALWAYS take the flex shaft out at the end of the days running to let it air out. Then regrease it before the next run. If you leave it in it can rust and tear up the motor.

Also, remember to put some sort of foam in the boat to keep it from sinking. Eventually you will end up upside down!

And use hatch tape. While it might not keep all the water out, it will keep out a good bit if (when!) you flip.
Latest blog entry: Live chat room
Dec 19, 2017, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero
Not to mention some pond water is extremely nasty and you can get sick from swimming in it.
Ocean water in So Cal, too!

And needles off New York.

I tried the "swim to retrieve" once. Almost drowned, while my young son watched. Thank the Lord one of the guys there was a life guard to pull in me. Don't be stupid like me.

Andy
Dec 19, 2017, 04:15 PM
Big Boats Rule!
How about some common courtesy between skippers? After all, if all of us adults can't play with boats together, what will happen to society in general?

Keep some distance between boats. Can't believe how many times I've seen the only two boats on an acre of water collide. I know it's fun to run in close quarters, but make sure that is a mutual agreement. I remember at one of our events, a very simple boat (RTR, medium speed type) was always up against the side of a contest winning, fully detailed USCG Cutter. The skipper of the latter said "You know, that's three years of work you're bumping into..."

Common sense when running vastly different boats. Go fast types mixing it up with slow scale jobs, or low freeboard boats overtaken by large wake generators. There is always some risk when running tiny/fragile/camouflaged boats in the wild with a fleet of other boats. But skippers shouldn't put others at risk by being either of those guys on the pond.

Don't be a wild, distracted, unpredictable skipper. Even if you are new, drive in a way that others can avoid you. I've sailed a large-ish (35 pounds) sailboat around other power boats many times. Had a few new skippers get nervous about what they should do, so they abruptly stop right in front of me. I guess if both were power boats, both could sit still and figure out who goes first, etc. Sailboats don't stop. If they had only kept their course and speed consistent the two boats would have passed without issue.

If you are in a fleet type setting, with lots of boats, skippers, distractions, etc., have the skippers agree on a rotation direction for all to follow. Today, we are going clockwise around the pond. That at least minimizes the contact potential.

Dave
Dec 19, 2017, 06:29 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Looks like all good advice. The most significant are the prop caution and don't swim warnings. Proper care with Li-Po batteries is critical too.

Li-Po's..........Store packs in metal containers with a lid. Those metal tins filled with cookies or other treats people give away on holidays work well, as do old metal toolboxes. Keep packs away from high flammables, and store properly with a 50% charge (approx 3.85 volts per cell).

Great swimmer, are ya?.............. So many have foolishly lost their lives retrieving a toy boat. You can go to the store and get another boat. Where can you buy another chance at life? DON'T risk it.

Whirling knives gonna get yer digits!.........Propellers are like little metal honey badgers, as they can be just as vicious......Respect and keep it in mind at all times when handling a boat. Even the pros have been caught "red-handed" on occasion, if you get my drift... (WARNING: Graphic image, but ya might remember the lesson better if you see it)
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Dec 19, 2017 at 06:47 PM.
Dec 19, 2017, 07:56 PM
Also, I remembered to check cooling lines (if the boat has one). If one is flowing well you could burn up a motor/esc. If t has come "unplugged" from the esc/motor mount you will fill up your boat with water! Been there done that, no fun!
Latest blog entry: Live chat room
Dec 20, 2017, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
They underestimate how cold the water is a few feet down... leg muscles lock up, swimmer goes down.
Made that mistake.
Dec 20, 2017, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Bob
If the retrieval boat can carry a full size person, that person should be wearing an approved PFD. The boat should have a hard hull - wood, aluminum, fiberglass, plastic. Don't use an air mattress or cheap blow up raft.

A few years ago a couple of guys were running nitro powered go-fasts on a pond and one of them stalled. The driver of the stalled boat was paddling out on an inflatable air mattress, when the other boat ran into the air mattress ripping it open. The man on the air mattress couldn't swim and wasn't wearing a PFD, he drowned.
Made that mistake too.
Dec 20, 2017, 08:55 PM
Just Plane Nutts
We used a blow-up raft to retrieve my first RC boat back around 1982, but it was the only RC boat on the pond.
Dec 21, 2017, 12:53 AM
Swimming to retrieve is fairly unexciting over here, 3513'09.1"S 13849'28.4"E. Dam area is about 15,000 sq meters/4 acres. In the middle of a beef cattle farm. The cancer is going to get me before the brucellosis will. Main retrieval is when yachts get keel caught on buoys - primarily a sailing club. No bitey propellors. Longest swim to a buoy 30 meters/100 feet. In extremely cold weather the overnight temperature may get down to 0 C/32 F. Average summer time temperature around 30 C/85 F. No crocagators. No junkies. The only fun bit is the red-bellied black snakes, but they're pretty shy.
Dec 21, 2017, 02:22 AM
Fast electric boats maybe
Check all hardware periodiclly (nuts,bolts,setscrews,etc.) for tightness and integrity and the hull as well for cracks splits etc., just good ole common sense will go far in the hobby.

Its also a good idea to get a I.R. themometer to check electric components (esc,motors,lipos) for excessive heat when running , this piece of equipment will save $$$ in the long run.
Last edited by Jeffro Bodine; Dec 21, 2017 at 02:27 AM. Reason: More to add
Dec 21, 2017, 04:42 AM
An "inflatable raft" used by someone that understands and uses them frequently, is NOT an unsafe way to recover a stranded boat. I am used to rafting rivers and Lake Tahoe, so using a raft at a regatta is no big deal. It was made out of neoprene coated nylon fabric, and had 2 air chambers, plus, I was the only one that used it. This was in 1990, today I would be required to use a PFD.
Dec 21, 2017, 12:19 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Be careful when using a kayak to pick up a model boat. It is surprising how 'tippy' those kayaks are!

Dave
Dec 21, 2017, 02:04 PM
Have your retrieve boat in the water before your toy boat.

Andy
Dec 21, 2017, 03:04 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Yeah. Don't want to have to inflate the rescue boat while your model is slowly going under.

My RC rescue boat will be dry until needed, but it will be ready to go. The boat is set in it's PVC CRADLE, THE LiPo is plugged in and the hatch mounted. At rescue time I switch on it's TX, throw the power swtch to the ESC and place it in the water......Takes me about ten seconds max., but usually less.

The Turnigy Marine waterproof ESCs have a power switch and work well for this in-The-water-quickly task.

Quick Reply