1 Tip for New Beginner RC Car/Truck Drivers - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 21, 2017, 09:37 AM
My No 1 tip " Do not drive in the road "
Kerb stones are the natural enemy of RC cars , I've broken more parts hitting kerbs than any other way !
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2017, 12:04 PM
Born again RC'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio
My No 1 tip " Do not drive in the road "
Kerb stones are the natural enemy of RC cars , I've broken more parts hitting kerbs than any other way !
I am always amazed at how quickly a curb or a parked car can jump out in front of my RC. I never even seen them coming, then WHAM! LOL
Dec 24, 2017, 08:46 PM
AeroDan
If you’re lucky to have a local R/C track nearby, just go to enjoy YOURSELF!!!! A lot of dudes there are bored and feel bad about themselves. They’ll try to intimidate you, and discourage you from returning there, especially a newcomer. I’ve seen it personally (@Hobbybench Raceway-Glendora, CA & TQ Hobbies-Harbor City, CA). Believe me, you’ll be fine alone or take a friend. Although I usually just deal with model aircraft, I’m still up for that Tamiya “Sand Scorcher”. I remember seeing the box cover for the body kit back in the ‘80’s, and have been interested ever since.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Dec 25, 2017 at 12:51 AM.
Dec 25, 2017, 12:42 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
If you’re lucky to have a local R/C track nearby, just go to enjoy YOURSELF!!!! A lot of dudes there are bored and feel bad about themselves. They’ll try to intimidate you, and discourage you from returning there, especially a newcomer. I’ve seen it personally (@Hobbybench Raceway-Glendora, CA & TQ Hobbies-Harbor City, CA). Believe me, you’ll be fine alone or take a friend. Although I usually just deal with model aircraft, I’m still up for that Tamiya “Sand Scorcher”. I remember seeing the box cover for the body kit back in the ‘80’s, and have been interested ever since.
This is sad, and probably true.. possibly a Cali thing, I didn't have the best experience with my first time racing at OCRC a couple years ago... I did my best to introduce myself to as many people possible but I also got a sense of a "cold shoulder" for the most part.... I think it just takes time for some folks to open up. What I did find was that team drivers (folks wearing sponsored shirts) tend to be more approachable, it's actually in their contract to be helpful, even for folks running competing brands!

I think the best thing to do is introduce yourself online first... Facebook seems to have the highest participation with local track threads and this will give you the chance to start warming people up to your presence and see who might be willing to help show you the ropes on race day. Talk to the RD, this is an invaluable resource who will point you to the most helpful racers at your club. Study the photos of prior race results so you know who is who, most people are flattered if you come up and already know their name when you introduce yourself.

I don't race out of state often, but will be putting my advice to the test as I will be racing in New Mexico this coming Wed night, I've started to reach out on a couple posts with the track page, and the RD has been very responsive, I also just created a fresh post here to help break the ice with the locals, fingers crossed I get some positive feedback

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3492647&type=3
Dec 25, 2017, 10:01 PM
I'd suggest thinking about your intended use and buying for that instead of playing out your childhood fantasy.

For me, that meant getting the AE RC10B4.2; an excellent rtr entry level electric 1/10 racing buggy... however, I don't race, I simply bash around.

Bashing breaks stuff. I've replaced 5 chassis (the TBR wide bumper protects the arms well at the expense of the weakest part of the chassis) , several shock towers, a few arms. This has been costly. An Arrma Raider would've been a better choice, but I was living out my childhood fantasy.

PD
Dec 26, 2017, 10:33 AM
Hello. Saw Matt Gunn's advice on throttle management. This is good advice not only in the RC car/truck world but RC planes and more importantly life itself.
Dec 26, 2017, 12:40 PM
Low budget fun
Read the manual, seriously. Don't just think it's a toy, shove the battery in and let 'er rip.
Every machine is different and you should treat it with respect.

If it doesn't come with a manual try looking it up on the internet or ask the shop or ask people here in RCG.
Also don't be afraid to ask. Everyone was a beginner once too.

Oh... that's 2 already. I should stop here.
Dec 28, 2017, 10:11 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Start with something tame, yet durable. Name-brands are recommended simply for LHS and part support. Resist the temptation of buying a 50 MPH 6s monster as your first vehicle. Nothing could be worse; you need to start out with something slow and manageable as you learn.
Dec 28, 2017, 10:59 PM
XFM
XFM
eXperimental Flying Machines
Don't drive in places dog owners frequently walk their dogs.

Some leave their pet's habits on the grounds.
Dec 30, 2017, 09:04 AM
For my 7-year-old, a wheelie bar for the back of his Traxas buggy turned out to be a wise investment.
Dec 30, 2017, 02:45 PM
Buy more batteries.
Dec 31, 2017, 04:00 PM
vYz
vYz
My advice from new rc driver new rc driver is, learn from who know more then you eheh.
Jan 01, 2018, 11:42 PM
My tip is only make small changes and upgrades as you gain knowledge and experience,sometimes a change in tyres can make a huge difference as opposed to spending a small fortune on parts you may not need to get the same performance.
Jan 08, 2018, 12:45 PM
Mark 12:30

Figure 8 !

For newbie RC Car drivers the hardest thing to master is the "turn the wheel the opposite" of the way you want to go when the car is coming at you.
Set up 2 markers or cones about 8 feet from each other. First drive the car with BOTH markers directly in front of you doing a figure 8 with the markers as the center. You will soon be steering opposite without even thinking about it !
Next have the markers to your side doing the figure 8s and again, you will be intuitive steering and not thinking steering before you know it !!

Thanks, I'm here all week !!
Jan 10, 2018, 03:21 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
3 tips, actually.

2.5mm, 2.0mm, 1.5mm

https://www.amazon.com/Moores-Ideal-...ords=mip+thorp

They ain't cheap but they are worth every penny.

Quick Reply