1 Tip for New Beginner FPV Pilots - Page 5 - RC Groups
Dec 31, 2017, 12:08 AM
DJO
DJO
"Yo, that's a thermal"
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTfan
Regarding the issue about a HAM radio license being required for FPV flying, I believe that even getting such a license doesnít legally allow one to operate high power output RF equipment in the air. Iíve read that you need another license to fly with such transmitters.
There is a limit to power output for transmitters used for control specifically of model aircraft. But no, there is no other license that you need.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2017, 12:13 AM
DJO
DJO
"Yo, that's a thermal"
http://www.nj2x.com/2013/08/fcc-tech...on-of-day.html

Quote:
FCC Technician Exam Question Of The Day (T8C07)

Q) What is the maximum power allowed when transmitting telecommand signals to radio controlled models?
A) 1 watt
Dec 31, 2017, 12:33 AM
Regurgitation Utensil.
"
.....provided that a label indicating the station call sign and the station licensee's name and address is affixed to the station transmitter

"
So what do I write on my 3.5g aio and where/how do I attach it?
Dec 31, 2017, 12:59 AM
DJO
DJO
"Yo, that's a thermal"
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
"
.....provided that a label indicating the station call sign and the station licensee's name and address is affixed to the station transmitter

"
So what do I write on my 3.5g aio and where/how do I attach it?
Uhh... you didn't read it correctly. This is for the telecommand of the aircraft. This has nothing to do with video signal transmission. So you affix a label to your hand held radio.
Dec 31, 2017, 01:23 AM
Regurgitation Utensil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO
Uhh... you didn't read it correctly. This is for the telecommand of the aircraft. This has nothing to do with video signal transmission. So you affix a label to your hand held radio.
my bad, I thought this thread (RE: its title) was about FPV and its transmissions.
Dec 31, 2017, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
even better one word advice:

soldering-station
Actually even more important than a soldering station IMO is using quality lead solder, buy it locally.. a lot of Chinese (eg Banggood) solder is unleaded even when labelled otherwise. With good quality solder it is possible to get perfectly good results with a cheap iron.
Jan 08, 2018, 03:25 PM

Style of goggle

Something not yet mentioned is the style of goggles you will get. There are two main types, the actual "goggle" style like the Fat Shark, and then the "box" type like the Headplay. They are totally different in experience so you should look through both types if you are first considering FPV. The goggle type give a smaller total image but it is noticeably sharper. The box type give a huge image that is most immersive but the focus is slightly (just slightly) not as sharp. Some people don't like the "big boxy thing" clamped to their face, but those who are addicted to the really great immersion of that kind of goggle don't mind. In all cases pixel count is the important factor, more is sharper.
Jan 08, 2018, 03:53 PM
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan
Actually even more important than a soldering station IMO is using quality lead solder, buy it locally.. a lot of Chinese (eg Banggood) solder is unleaded even when labelled otherwise. With good quality solder it is possible to get perfectly good results with a cheap iron.
Why wouldn't you use silver solder?
Jan 08, 2018, 06:38 PM
DJO
DJO
"Yo, that's a thermal"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny
Why wouldn't you use silver solder?
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews...s-lead-solder/
Post #2 by IanB:

"Silver solder usually refers to a stronger solder used for mechanical joins (compared to lead solder which is soft and relatively weak). However, silver solder has a higher melting temperature, which means the parts have to be heated to a higher temperature to make it work."

Sure, use silver if you want. But leaded is a much better fit for R/C usage (and especially noobies who are more at risk of cold solder joints due to inexperience / cheap irons with overrated wattage as a gimmick).
Jan 09, 2018, 05:57 AM

FPV for decades?

I have been flying R/C for 6 decades and I simply don't believe the statement at the beginning of this that people have been flying FPV for decades. Sorry to be a pedant. Actually, I really struggle to fly FPV because the combination of 2D and tunnel vision is so different to what I am used to.
Jan 09, 2018, 08:52 AM
Regurgitation Utensil.
I first read about hobby FPV in the late 98 or 99. is there a hobbiest that's flown all that time? dunno the answer there.
Jan 09, 2018, 01:10 PM
Quote:
for 5.8 in US anything outside of 5725-5875 MHz range is still illegal even with HAM tho right?

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id..._1249&rgn=div8
Are you asking operating on like 5700 or 5900? If so, then yes you are correct. The 5.8GHz band operates between 5.725 and 5.875 only, which is part of the ISM band, and if the device being used does not have a Part 15 certification and sticker on the transmission device, a technician class license is required to operate it, regardless of power output.

If I remember correctly, 6.2 is maritime mobile and below is aeronautical mobile. That could be like emergency transponder signals, I believe up to a $15,000 fine for operating on those channels without a license or for interference.
Jan 09, 2018, 01:19 PM
Quote:
First of all RCG is not for US only so, lets not get bogged down with FCC stuff, or stray too far OT;

I don't know anything about FCC approved VTX's or not, but if there were, wouldn't they would need to clamp down all the red on this chart? (I had no idea I was flying in an illegal freq all year...)

The problem is that a supplier can sell the part, with a disclaimer saying it is up to your to ensure you operate within the law of your country. However like another user stated, a US supplier was recently fined for selling transmitters that operated on "illegal" frequencies. I have seen post up to almost two years ago I believe, talking about the illegality of some Race Band channels in the US. I have heard about competitions getting proper waivers or paperwork in place, to get legal clearance for race participants to operate on these frequencies. Basically that they will only output at X power and are going to be in a certain place, at a certain time, I believe NOTAMS are even filed in case of interference with aeronautical mobile frequencies.

All that said, the Race Band wasn't set up for the US, but for the world to use and have less interference purely for drone racing.

Technician Class license does not provide you legality to operate in the 5.8GHz frequencies, because you can already do so legally, as long as it is a Part 15 certified device. It is giving you legality to operate a non-Part 15 certified device, in that frequency, so long as it meets the requirements of power output and non-interference. However, it also gives you lots of other frequency operating privileges!!
Jan 09, 2018, 01:25 PM
DJO
DJO
"Yo, that's a thermal"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Day
I have been flying R/C for 6 decades and I simply don't believe the statement at the beginning of this that people have been flying FPV for decades.
Decades maybe not, but many have been flying for at least 10 years, Crash9 was flying around 2006-2007, then started uploading soon after:

My FPV Movie by Crash9 (6 min 23 sec)

Quote:
I first read about hobby FPV in the late 98 or 99. is there a hobbiest that's flown all that time? dunno the answer there.
I know Trappy from Team Blacksheep started around the same time as Crash9 (if I can remember correctly). There were a few other FPV'ers who have since vanished. Daemon here on RCGroups has also been at it for at least a decade.
Jan 09, 2018, 01:36 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Day
I have been flying R/C for 6 decades and I simply don't believe the statement at the beginning of this that people have been flying FPV for decades. Sorry to be a pedant. Actually, I really struggle to fly FPV because the combination of 2D and tunnel vision is so different to what I am used to.
there is even a Model Airplane News story about doing FPV back in the late 80s. and I know of one guy on here who was doing fpv in the early 90s. But yeah it is really about a 10 year old hobby from what I can tell. I've been flying RC since about 1981, and FPV since 2011. so much easier way to fly than LOS!

and there is this thread on FPV history:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...73-FPV-History
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jan 09, 2018 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply