1 Tip for New Beginner FPV Pilots - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 20, 2017, 08:19 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
That is good stuff. I've never even thought about that!

+1!! I first tried FPV on a small quad inside, and it didn't go well at all I got frustrated with it and abandoned the idea. Just put my FPV stuff on the shelf and a few months later I saw on youtube people putting the gear on land based vehicles. I tried it on my crawler and wow!! I now love it...it gives you a whole different perspective
Good to hear, i had fun too on crawler especially when its rain outside unable to fly. I had a small crawler to kill some time around the office explore the 'underworld', lol. From there beginner can learn simple FPV setup and learn how 5.8ghz penetrate through various objects through antenna modification.

Videos:
FPV Basher Rocksta micro crawler - Modern jungle adventures (10 min 44 sec)

FPV Basher Rocksta micro crawler - Office adventure 2 (12 min 40 sec)

...and yeah our office staff and boss doesn't mind seeing it crawling under their desk through the entire building. lol.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2017, 08:34 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Been in the RC hobby for many years and about to get my first FPV setup - the Vortex 150 so basic question:

How many channels does it take to operate modern quads? I have both the Spektrum DX9 and their new DX6. Both have quad programming with a VTX function screen and, telemetry.

Oh - and I've decided to get my Ham Technician's license. Timeframe = January 2018.
Dec 21, 2017, 08:40 PM
DJO
DJO
"Yo, that's a thermal"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor
Been in the RC hobby for many years and about to get my first FPV setup - the Vortex 150 so basic question:

How many channels does it take to operate modern quads? I have both the Spektrum DX9 and their new DX6. Both have quad programming with a VTX function screen and, telemetry.

Oh - and I've decided to get my Ham Technician's license. Timeframe = January 2018.
Quads don't need anything more than a DX6 to operate. Programmability really helps so it's advised not to use a DX4e or DX5e, etc.

Good choice on the HAM license. Good luck on the exam! I used http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/index.html and passed with ease.
Dec 23, 2017, 08:38 AM
KC3KNM
I'd say that as a whole, we need to be more cognizant of what frequencies we're using and the local laws. There's already enough negative attention on the hobby, we don't need more. Part 15 is pretty murky and seems to be misunderstood, yet everyone assumes our gear is covered under it, and that's not always true.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/590.pdf
Latest blog entry: More Fun With the Laser...
Dec 23, 2017, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuiperJ
Oh the irony,
You weren't understanding the limitations/range of equipment when you posted this.

Unlike "normal" planes UMX Radian is bound hard to DSMX and 2.4 ghz only. If your buddy was using a 1.2ghz vtx he wouldn't be able to control his airplane (2.4 ghz is the 2nd harmonic for 1.2).
I think he meant that the goggle rx had a 1.3ghz antenna on it instead of a 5.8ghz. The frequency mismatch resulted in an attenuated signal.
Dec 23, 2017, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTfan
I think he meant that the goggle rx had a 1.3ghz antenna on it instead of a 5.8ghz. The frequency mismatch resulted in an attenuated signal.
That would be correct. He had a 1.2ghz antenna on a 5.8 RX. He lost a new FPV UMX Radian on his first FPV flight.
Dec 24, 2017, 10:07 AM
Three tips- itís Christmas...
1) Read the forum and search. Someoneís had your problem or question before!
2) Be as descriptive as possible when asking a question, describing an issue or answering a question. The techno babble can get deep fast for a newbie and unfortunately we donít always have the right terminology or we call the same thing inadvertently something else.
3) Be nice and be patient. We are driving or flying toys not solving world peace. Whether giving advice or asking questions let negative vibes go.
Dec 24, 2017, 09:03 PM
I want to use Christmas bucks to get s FPV setup. I have Spektrum radios and fly mostly bnf planes, gliders and a yuneec 500 drone. Does it make sense to get the Spektrum version of the fat shark and compatibie cameras?
Dec 25, 2017, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornfield
I want to use Christmas bucks to get s FPV setup. I have Spektrum radios and fly mostly bnf planes, gliders and a yuneec 500 drone. Does it make sense to get the Spektrum version of the fat shark and compatibie cameras?
As far as I know, the only advantage of a Spektrum branded goggle is the wireless headtracking capability. If you want to use a pan/tilt camera with headtracking, that may be something for you. Otherwise, a set of Attitude v4s with a True-D v3.6 module is in my opinion the best all-around goggle right now. If you want something cheaper, look into good used gear in the classifieds here (Attitude v2/3 or any of the Dominator series goggles).
Dec 25, 2017, 10:16 AM
My tip for the thread: don't buy cheap junk. I've spent many times more money than I had to in order to get a good fpv system that works going. I know it's been said before but it's worth repeating
Buy from reputable stores with good support (RMRC, PiroFlipRC, GetFPV, etc.)
Don't go for expensive, go for tested and known to be reliable.
Dec 25, 2017, 11:51 AM
Do all goggles work with all cameras?
Dec 25, 2017, 11:57 AM
And You're Not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling
Three tips- it’s Christmas...
1) Read the forum and search. Someone’s had your problem or question before!
2) Be as descriptive as possible when asking a question, describing an issue or answering a question. The techno babble can get deep fast for a newbie and unfortunately we don’t always have the right terminology or we call the same thing inadvertently something else.
3) Be nice and be patient. We are driving or flying toys not solving world peace. Whether giving advice or asking questions let negative vibes go.
4) Buy lots of props.

Quote:
Do all goggles work with all cameras?
There are aspect ratio differences - all my cameras/goggles are 4:3, while some of them are 16:9.
Latest blog entry: My Quads
Dec 25, 2017, 12:35 PM
Do they all work on the same frequencies? Why are some people talking about Ham licenses and such? Are they required?
Last edited by Cornfield; Dec 25, 2017 at 12:43 PM.
Dec 25, 2017, 12:51 PM
And You're Not
Quote:
Do they all work on the same frequencies? Why are some people talking about Ham licenses and such? Are they required?
There are a section of 5.8Ghz frequencies that don't require a Ham license, most of the VTXs (video transmitters) and goggles operate in these frequencies. You can get transmitters and receivers in different frequency bands that may need Ham licenses.
Latest blog entry: My Quads
Dec 25, 2017, 01:02 PM
I hope to use this with a glider, will a 5.8 handle it if I get a mile away at max?

Quick Reply